hackish

Jump #29 reserve ride - maybe this isn't for me...

Ok, I'm a little pissed off. Jump #29 was the last jump of the day - I got 3 in today. Jump #27 was on the sabre 210 and someone elses packjob. On opening I got a little bit of linetwist. Jump #26 had about 3 revolutions of line twist and this one was only 1/2 turn. So I packed it with some supervision as I wasn't 100% sure about the camera pack thing. Opened beautifully and I flew it down nicely to a standup landing.

Fast forward. I was on the next load and it was a hot load so there was no time to pack. I grabbed a student rig (parafab 284), checked it over and put it on. The skydive was uneventful until opening. Since I've been having problems with the sabre I threw out a little high - just under 4000.

The opening looked okay - a little harder than I was used to but about on par with the sabre. I watched the slider descend and as soon as the canopy inflated fully it took a dive forward. I looked up before grabbing the toggles and noticed that the tabs (that normally stow on the little sleeves on the risers) were both out and facing inward. I immediately grabbed both toggles and pulled them down. The left toggles wouldn't come down and as I looked again I could see a giant knot around a bunch of lines.

At this point in time the canopy had begun to spiral. I tried correcting with the opposite toggle. Tried tugging at the left toggle twice to see if the tangle would come undone. With the full opposite toggle it would still not fly straight. I checked the altimeter and was around 2800 and losing altitude fast.

I think I remember muttering "here goes nothing", hooked my thumb around the silver and yanked the red. The RSL beat me to the silver but I ended up pulling it anyway. What an odd feeling to end up in freefall again staring at those trees as they're getting larger. The reserve deployment was quick and uneventful. Freebag was lost in the woods but I noted the direction of the cutaway canopy and turned into the wind to concentrate on finding a good place to land.

Now I suppose I should pubically thank "Mo" Seguin my instructor for doing a good job of training me - teaching the right procedures and holding me back during my training to make sure I was able to do every requirement properly. Also N. McGrath the rigger who packed up a reserve that opened flawlessly...

So back on topic. I've had 29 jumps so far. My first jump ever had 1 linetwist that came undone quickly. One time the altimeter stuck at 5000. One time the sabre had some issues with a brake line not routed correctly (which I successfully flew and PLF landed on the rear risers). Now this...

Obviously at this point in time I'm a little upset and I don't know 100% if the rewards are worth it in this sport. I've raced rally cars for a number of years and have always been good at dealing with emergency situations. I was collected enough to follow the emergency procedures this time and feel like I could do it again. I've always liked pulling a little high in case something went wrong. What are the chances this much crap happens to the same guy in his first 29 jumps?

There is maybe a 50/50 chance that I'll be going to my packing CoP test tomorrow or just saying fuck-it I'm done here. Anyone else ever feel like that after a situation like this?

-Michael

I got frustrated for a little while with opening issues... it's understandable.

But with experience comes... experience. Once you learn to pack certain canopies to open the way YOU want them to, you get in a rhythm. I pack my canopy exactly the same every time, and rarely have issues.

Line twists are frustrating. They are an annoyance, and at one point I was having them a lot and getting frustrated. But you realize where things could get better and worse and how to compose yourself...

For example, it used to be throw-out, watch the horizon, blah blah blah... okay, it feels like it is twisting.... look up, and yes, line twists, damn... start kicking...

But recently I began noticing I was fixing opening issues before they got out of hand. I noticed it when I did about 10 straight hop n pops. The subterminal openings put me in at least 1 linetwist every time, so I started manipulating the canopy on opening so by the time it fully inflated it as pointing where I wanted it to point, with no line twists. Just some experience coming in to play... it comes with time, and... experience.

It sounds like you had your head in the right place. With your ability to check everything you did, try everything you did and remember everything you did, I would say you have the right mindset for this sport. It just sounds like you are having some bad luck. You didn't pack the knot... don't blame yourself for it.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Gear fear is a nasty thing to overcome.
are you having line twists due to bad body position on deployment?
Would you know how to determine that?
The alti stuck at 5000 sucks. did you point that out to the dzo they should not use that for a student alti unless or until they jump check it or get it repaired.

I won't tell you that you won't end up dying on your next jump. ..and I wont tell you that you will.

You know the risks. do you think your next jump is worth the risk?
Is there something you can do to reduce that risk?

Address your concerns with your instructors and they can help you decide.\
My photos

My Videos

From your description of the events, you handled it very well. You were heads up and made the right decisions. If anything, I'd say you are cut out to be skydiver. I can't say that for other folks I know.:| Make sure you give your rigger his/her favorite bottle for saving your ass and get back in the air. Besides, now that you got your first reserve ride out of the way(you know beer for that), it won't be so scary the next time. Yes, there will be a naxt time.;)

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I agree with Monky. It sounds like you have the skills and the quick thinking skills to greatly reduce your risk of accident.

I think you should get right back on the saddle. I had my first real "oh shit" situation recently but I got right back up on the next load and the jitters are gone.

I also have the line twist probs but I think thats kind of a good thing because now Im practically an expert at getting out of them (and knowing when I cant). Just make sure you get plenty of gear checks and be on top of your stuff, making sure that the packjobs were done correctly.

Also.... learn from my mistake. Ask questions if youre not sure about something. I almost got myself killed by not doing that. [:/]

Poetry don't work on whores.

You did everything right on the jump. You just gotta shake it off and go up and do it again. However, at your experience level, it would be wise to take your time, and not rush things like grab a DZ student rig just to make the next load. I have seen more shit happen when people hurry to make the load and they forget things. Granted, yours was more of a pack issue that you didn't pack.

Once you get the packing skills down pat, do your own packjobs and take your time making the loads. Don't rush a packjob if you're pressed for time, you'll likely make a mistake.

Many times I've manifested, then realized I didn't have enough time to make the load, and I simply went to manifest to scratch and move me to the next one. :)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The majority of people that I have talked to about a reserve ride early in the their skydiving life feel empowered about the event. It seems to release the fear about the reserve and if it will work. Like giving a sense of added belief in the system. You seem to have the opposite based on some bad experiences that you delt with. From your descriptions you did everyting correctly. Skydiving is not for every one, never has been and never will and I have never thought it was. That said the positive is that you did evey thing correctly when you saw a problem and delt with it. Continuing with jumping is something that only you can decide on and I will not give you a line to the opposite. If you walk away great but do it knowing that you did what you were trained to do and did it correctly. Look back on the experience and smile.

If you continue to jump, be assured you will probably run into a problem and see a reserve again. I have landed a reserve 5 times though 3 of mine were Tandems. I know people with less jumps and more rides. I also know people with more jumps and less rides, That is the way it goes. I accept the risk and the rewardI get and dont have any plans of quiting my jumping.

The ability to take ownership of your equiptment and pack for your self should help but stuff happens. You obviously can deal with a situation but if your not willing to accept the risk reward quotent do what you have to do!

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

What are the chances this much crap happens to the same guy in his first 29 jumps?

There is maybe a 50/50 chance that I'll be going to my packing CoP test tomorrow or just saying fuck-it I'm done here. Anyone else ever feel like that after a situation like this?

-Michael

When you begin skydiving, things like linetwists, stuck sliders, and slow spins seem like "o sh**" moments. Eventually some of it becomes a light sigh and you don't think twice.

A woman at our DZ had _two_ cutaways in her first 20 jumps. One on jump 13 and the other on 19. She has line twists regularly (poor body position on deployment, IMO).
She's still skydiving, and has worked out her problems. She's admired for her heads-up ability.

You ran into a problem, you dealt with it clearly.
In other words, you handled yourself and the situation, and IMO, that indicates you'll probably be a good skydiver. "one bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch," don't let a crappy packjob and cutaway ruin your journey.

For what its worth - my first cutaway was at jump #13 - I felt similar to what you have described here but my instructor made sure I got back on the plane and made my do my first hop and pop from 4000 on the next jump. Once you get back in the air - you will (barring anything out of the ordinary) be fine.

For what it's worth, comming from a newbie like yourself. I'm assuming the rigger and packer(s) know about your malfunction (was it a tension knot?). I would have tried to jump again the same day on your own pack job. It is my understanding that student rigs, if they are to be used by a student, are to be packed by a rigger, under the supervision of a rigger, or by the AFF-I or IAD-I. Actually it may have been a cmparativly good thing you got that rig instead of an AFF level 1 student who might not have delft with the malfuftion as quickly as you did and the reaults could have been different. My 2 cents

After reading this post I went and dug out my old 1st log book to refresh my memory what I was doing on my 29th jump....

It was October 30 1981 and I was jumping a para-comander with a 26 foot lopo reserve.
I did a 35 second delay from 7500 feet and got my ass chewed out for pulling too low.

Back then you didn't have to jump with an aad after you had 25 jumps.:o

I understand what you are saying.

I also say, like others, that you did a great job of handling the situation. Damn...I wish we could say that about every skydiver!

My first cutaway was a great confidence builder and it took away the gear fear and EP performance fear that was always in the back of my mind.
Hey! The shit actually works and I can do it! WooooHoooo!

Packing your own stuff eliminates a lot of worry. Learning about your gear and how to maintain it properly also does that.

Rushing to make the next load is rarely a good idea.

Get back on the horse and Ride, Sally ride!
:)

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I had my first reserve last weekend on Jump 11. After speaking with DZ staff and instructors, I hopped on a load the next day. Was I nervous about it? Heck yes. But I knew that the gear (student manta) worked like a charm.

All I can say is get back on the Horse.

Blue skies to ya brother!

I just hat my first cut-away on my 15st jump last weekend. The lines were over the canopy so about the 3 right cells did not inflate and it started spinning instantly so I got rid of it. Nice and soft landing so everything went just as it should have in an emergency.
I am still not sure why I had the line over. I packed it my selfe but I was supervised all the time and my rigger even put it into the bag. Body position was good so I guess I must have made a mistake packing.

When I came down the only thing which pissed me off was that I just pulled the reserve of the only 235 transition rig and that the girl who should have jumped it (I got down-sized) couldn't because she had to wait for the repack. I went on the next load and did another two jumps that day.
I actually felt safer after having my first reserve ride just because then I knew (and not just guessed) that I would react right in an emergency and not freak out. I never had gear fear because I completely trust the people at the DZ.

i don't see the problem

you've handled everything like a pro, and it is unusaul for all that stuff to happen, once you get your own gear i'll bet these issues go away

now if you had the mal and did all the wrong things and got lucky and survived - then i'd consider saying stop now before it is too lateB|

Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

During my training, rather severe (6 or more wraps) line twists and collapsed end cells were an almost every jump thing. I had a few stuck sliders and pilot chute over the leading edge mals but they were rare. Shortly after completing AFF, I had 2 minor lineovers (first on jump 14) but managed to clear them. I hadn't packed any of them, all were student rigs. I was feeling a bit like you.

I eventually chalked it all up to good experience, since I know people with hundreds of jumps who've never had any malfuntions. On my 52nd jump, I had a brake come unstowed....which resulted in a rapid line twist, turn and dive, that quickly evolved into a hellacious flat-spin. After I punched out of that furball, I was thankful I'd had previous, even though minor malfunction experience. If not, I may not have reacted properly or quick enough.

Thanks everyone for your kind words of encouragement. I had a long talk with my better half to make sure we were still both comfortable with the risks of the sport. Even she was encouraging me to get back on the saddle. What a rare non-skydiving woman to find.

This morning I went out and did the packing CoP and passed. Had a long chat with the rigger who did the test. Then I headed to the DZ to fill out the AIM paperwork on the reserve ride. We went for a hike in the woods and amazingly the freebag was discovered among some cow paddies.

Last night the canopy was recovered as well. Funny story - it was found by a couple of farmers who were positive they had just witnessed a skydiver death. So the only thing lost was the cutaway handle. At least I saved the silver.

According to the altimeter the cutaway occurred at 2860' and after reaching a maximum speed of 84mph I was flying under the reserve 300' later. I will download the exact plot when my jumptrack arrives.

Analysis if the chute and rig revealed that the brake stows were a bit loose and the velcro was a bit worn. This winter they will be replacing all the student rig brakes with tru-lock systems. Looking at the bruises on my legs I guess the opening was a bit harder than I realised so it must have popped both brakes out and caused the left brake line to whip around and form a tension knot.

It is probably evident that I've realised that a couple of mishaps is not that uncommon and not reason to throw away such a good sport. Yes I'm sticking with it and I'm happy to see that improvements are being made.

Thank-you all, the community surrounding this sport is amazing.

-Michael

So you had a cutaway. Sounds like you followed your EP's like you were supposed to. I haven't had one yet but I'm sure it's coming someday. The guy I bought my rig from 5 yrs ago had 4 cutaways in 40 jumps. He re-evaluated his jumping career and decided it wasn't for him. Great for me cause I got a screaming deal on a nearly new Javelin at the time. To each his own, but I wouldn't quit if I were you. You got your first chop out of the way early and handled it well. Just my opinion but if it were me I'd hang with it awhile and see how it goes from here. Just the luck of the draw.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

> What are the chances this much crap happens to the same guy in his first 29 jumps?

That's when most of your problems will happen - before you have the experience to know what's a problem and what isn't, the skill to maintain your gear etc etc.

I just replaced the lines, slinks, grommets and risers on my canopy because one grommet had worn through and started shredding things. If I had kept jumping it, it likely would have resulted in broken lines and a mal. But since I have some experience with gear, I realized that I had a problem before it became a big one. At 29 jumps I probably wouldn't have realized that.

So in time it will get easier to prevent stuff like this. But as always the final decision is up to you.

Your lucky. I wish i had a cutaway early on. I didn't have mine until around 700. Always thinking if my gear would work, would i land the reserve well..etc etc etc..At least you had one early on.Now you know the equipment is built to save you.Not that shit can't go wrong but you will be less nervous on your next cutaway.
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

hmm, sounds like you are a flailing geek like me. I got stuck at several levels during training, hit many walls. 1st reserve ride, #36, 2nd one 10 jumps later.

had so many since then I lost count. 100 jumps and I did an 8 way - never touched anyone the whole dive.

the sport takes some time, and shit does happen. Feel good that you appear to be dealing with the small stuff before it becomes big stuff.