sonomatommy

pre-jump rituals

"I will not fear.
Fear is the mind killer.
I will face my fear, and I will let it pass through me.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing - only I will remain."

So since you're a guy....

Are you aspiring to be the Kwisatz Haderach?;)
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Well, lately I've been jumping mosty with a student strapped to my chest so I have a routine I go through with them.

When I'm jumping my sport gear I normally first kiss my girlfriend while heading to the plane (or on the plane if she's jumping with me). Once on the plane I make sure my audible is set correctly, and then think about the jump or just relax, socialize, or stare at the view until around 2-3 thousand feet before exit. At that point I make sure all my gear is ready, put my helmet on, do the high fives with everyone I can reach, check a few other people's gear, and get ready for the jump.

I'm fairly obsessive about checking my gear. I touch and check everything at least 3 times, more if I have time. If there is any doubt about anything I'll ask someone else to check it. When it's my turn I check the spot, check for traffic, and then go.

Land, pack, repeat.

am I the only freak or does anyone else have have crazy little things they do before each jump? ( not including the normal gear check)

I usually take a nap before a jump. But, after each jump I drop my gear, walk to my car, (grab some water and a banana), and try to think through my dive before the post-adrenaline headache hits. My parents called me on my cell right after my 5th or 6th jump, and later they said that I was talking really, really fast. I always thought I was extra-mellow after jumping. Who knew?

- David

Funny thing that handshake business.
I do it, mainly because other people seem to need it, and who am I to ruin their skydive?
I wonder how many do it on their own accord and how many just do it for the others' peace of mind?

I wonder that too.

Personally, it depends on the dive. 4-way training dives I'm not interested... want to focus. Casual dives I'll do the handshake, but it's really for everyone else, not for me. On the other hand, I'll go out of my way to do the handshake with AFF students and such; I want them to feel part of the group, and it usually makes them smile.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Before boarding I always walk unzip the jumpsuit and pull my nuts away from the leg straps one last time. In the plane I focus all of my attention at the cute tandem de jur until that last 2000ft. On downwind, I check my pin and handles and yell to the rest of the 4-way, "don't fuck up!"