npgraphicdesign

How difficult was your first Solo jump??

http://www.funskydiving.com/jump_school.php

I'm thinking of spending the money on this at a local Skydiving place in CT. I've done two tandems jumps and loved it. But I'm really nervous about taking that first solo jump only after a class and one tandem jump. Not worried about about doing it, but the nerves and having everything be literally in your hands.

So how'd you get over that first hump..er..jump? ;) How did you handle your nerves?

And on a side note, is the link about a good deal ?:|

Depending on the progression your DZ uses, your next 6 jumps (at least) will be with someone holding on to you. The first AFF is nearly always a two-instructor jump, one on your right side (main side) and the other on the reserve side (left side).
"Solo" means you're not attached to anyone. Instructors jump with/holding onto you, yet you must be prepared to do the skydive entirely on your own. Once you progress from tandem to AFF student, it's all you, baby.:)Your instructors should talk to you about how it all will go prior to the jump.

Depending on the progression your DZ uses, your next 6 jumps (at least) will be with someone holding on to you. The first AFF is nearly always a two-instructor jump, one on your right side (main side) and the other on the reserve side (left side).
Your instructors should talk to you about how it all will go prior to the jump.

Is the link I posted above too expensive? I've seen better deals at some other schools with more jumps for less money...[:/]

That package does include tunnel time and rentals; here in the west that would be a tad expensive but not grossley out of line. I don't know what the local areas are charging for AFF in the eastern side of the state.
While you don't want to overpay, also don't consider cost as the major factor; the people you're working with are training you to stay alive...do you *really* want "cheap?"
Folks aren't necessarily going to follow your link. You might be specifically asking about your area in Connecticut, or places within 100 miles of where you are. Use this link as a starting point.

As a new guy myself, I can remember vividly my experiences regarding going "solo".

As you can see from the other postings, "solo" is an ambiguous term for AFF. My AFF 1 jump was definitely NOT solo for the first 60 seconds. My instructors had me firmly in their grips. HOWEVER... once my canopy was deployed... I was alone. Yes, I had a radio... but I still had to execute my landing all by myself. So one can say that AFF 1 is part solo and part not solo.

Personally, I considered my first "solo jump" to be my first jump without an instructor or coach.

Actually my nerves were OK for the first jump. Jump #13 was the most emotionally difficult for me, after I had had a frightening time with instability and a low opening on jump #12 . ("Low" in this case only means lower than my dive plan....it was well above "Cypres Territory".)

Blue Skies
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I can't tell you if AFF or classic progression is better - I'm sure each camp could argue until blue in the face. I did classic progression. My first jump course was about 6h with a lot of drills and practice exits. It was scary as hell climbing out on that strut having never skydived before. So you're already at an advantage with 2 tandems under your belt.

My suggestion is to go visit each DZ and talk to the instructors and members and decide for yourself which school and program may suit you better.

-Michael

So how'd you get over that first hump..er..jump? How did you handle your nerves?

It was almost 8 years ago that I did my first AFF (5th jump), but I still remember it vividly. I had broken my collarbone playing football right after my last tandem, so there was a good 2 month break prior to the first solo. When the day came, I was super-excited and filled with anxiety, and I remember driving to the DZ at like 95 miles an hour (I swear to god I couldn't have driven slower if I tried:P).

Anyway, once the waiting was over I started the walkthrough, gear-up, ect I found the level of anxiety to drop... I think just having something to do and think about helped distract from the fear. I kept going down, and by the time I got to the door I was surprisingly calm. A lot of other jumpers and students have told me similar stories. As soon as we left the door, there was zero fear and it was very liberating. It also cemented the desire to continue for me. On the tandems I was pretty sure I wanted to continue, but that first solo was what finally made me KNOW.

Good luck... go kick that jump's ass!

P.S. that feeling can come back... I remember my first 4-way competition jump and my first nationals jump, and I was at least as nervous/excited as on the first jump and first solo. The feeling of overcoming that is awesome!
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

I'm thinking of spending the money on this at a local Skydiving place in CT. I've done two tandems jumps and loved it. But I'm really nervous about taking that first solo jump only after a class and one tandem jump. Not worried about about doing it, but the nerves and having everything be literally in your hands.

If it wasn't scary as hell, everyone would be doing it. Just about every one of the first 10 jumps is a leap of courage. Believe in yourself and your training and you'll have a great experience.

...While you don't want to overpay, also don't consider cost as the major factor; the people you're working with are training you to stay alive...do you *really* want "cheap?"

I resent the implication here. You slapped every DZ in the country that offers training at costs less than that quoted on the webpage.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I made one tandem jump prior to AFF but I must say that my AFF1 was a lot scarier than the tandem. After that, it got a lot easier and more fun. Everyone gets the jitters when they first start out. It gets better though, I promise.

And about that package... to me it doesnt seem like a ripoff but it doesnt seem like a deal. Sounds like just the right price for the amount of stuff youre getting. 30 min of wind tunnel is a LOT and will totally benefit you. Theres a lot of other stuff included too, such as the packing class.
Poetry don't work on whores.

...While you don't want to overpay, also don't consider cost as the major factor; the people you're working with are training you to stay alive...do you *really* want "cheap?"

I resent the implication here. You slapped every DZ in the country that offers training at costs less than that quoted on the webpage.

If that's what you you read into my words, I apologize. Where you correct, I'm slapping my own DZ as well, which I don't believe I did. I have no clue what AFF should cost in CT, but it is expensive compared to what the DZs within say...500 miles of here charge.
Would you agree it's a poor idea to choose a DZ based solely on price?

i did AFF for my first jump. i spent some much time thinking about the steps of the dive flow and asking lots of questions i really didn't get nervous till the door was opened. at which point i must have looked it, because one of my instructors had me look at them and take some breaths. we also went over the exit count again. and right before we walked to the door the JM on my right side told me to have fun and don't worry they would be right with me the whole time.

my first jump on my own pack job, well that's a different story.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

First solo was fist jump. Static line. It was a bit freaky to climb out onto the strut, but once there, I couldn't wait for the go signal. It turned out that the JM didn't like the spot (jumping rounds that don't really fly) and told me to get back in. So I sat in the door with my legs hanging outside and looking at the ground while the pilot flipped a 180. When it was time to get back out, it was no longer freaky feeling.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

my 1st solo was my 1st AFF jump. Bad weather the week before stopped me from jumping then a couple of weeks later the instructor said "happy you know what to do? ok get your stuff we're jumping"

very excited to hear that but got quite nervous when i was on the plane...going through the drills with the instructors helped calm me down. Door opened. I got looked out, then down, then thoughts like "how the fuck did i end up here" and "shit it doesnt look real" next thing i hear "are you ready to skydive!!!??)
adrenaline kicks in "hell yeah!!. Check In, Check Out, Wingtip Ready Set Goooooohhhhshittttt"

Once i was falling straight down i took a few deep breaths, and got on with it. Landed, went back to the rigging stores and then i shook like a leaf and my mind was working 10 to the dozen due to the buzz

Not the same buzz 10 jumps later but it still brings a big grin to my face that last hours

my 1st solo was my 1st AFF jump. Bad weather the week before stopped me from jumping then a couple of weeks later the instructor said "happy you know what to do? ok get your stuff we're jumping"

very excited to hear that but got quite nervous when i was on the plane...going through the drills with the instructors helped calm me down. Door opened. I got looked out, then down, then thoughts like "how the fuck did i end up here" and "shit it doesnt look real" next thing i hear "are you ready to skydive!!!??)
adrenaline kicks in "hell yeah!!. Check In, Check Out, Wingtip Ready Set Goooooohhhhshittttt"

Once i was falling straight down i took a few deep breaths, and got on with it. Landed, went back to the rigging stores and then i shook like a leaf and my mind was working 10 to the dozen due to the buzz

Not the same buzz 10 jumps later but it still brings a big grin to my face that last hours

Sounds good. How was your first landing?