fjd

canopy choice for night jumps

Not a chance. I'll jump one of my crossbraced canopies at 2:1 all day long, but when the sun goes down I'm putting the biggest, most docile thing I can find over head.

If you have an emergency exit at night, you may not land somewhere with lights or with sufficient runway to plane out a Class V canopy.

I can think of rather a few things with which I don't mind dealing when there is sufficient light, but can do without in the dark. A high performance canopy is one of them.

Blue skies,

Winsor

amen!

===============

what have been your choice of canopies for your night jumps?

three with a raven III -wingload around .6
four with a glide path ariel 170 -wingload around 1.1-1
two with a triathalon 135 wl 1.3-1
six with a stiletto 135 wl 1.3-1
three with a stiletto 120 wl 1.5-1
two with a icarus fx-85 wl 2-1
these are over a period of 8 years, I would rather stick with what I am current and comfortable with rather then change to a "safer" canopy.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

three with a raven III -wingload around .6
four with a glide path ariel 170 -wingload around 1.1-1
two with a triathalon 135 wl 1.3-1
six with a stiletto 135 wl 1.3-1
three with a stiletto 120 wl 1.5-1
two with a icarus fx-85 wl 2-1
these are over a period of 8 years, I would rather stick with what I am current and comfortable with rather then change to a "safer" canopy.

And ALL of these landings within the pre-planned, and well lit/set-up/established LZ?

As with almost any canopy choice, day OR night, the critical factor can (and DOES ...for MOST) become when you are not in the "comfy" pre-planned situation (ie: landing off) when finding yourself committed, and on final. It is THERE, where a screw up (or even minor misjudgement) can become so much more greatly magnified, that taking the more docile (regardless of daylight currency or "comfortable with") canopy really makes the difference.

IMHO.
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Stiletto 135 @ 1.6:1
PD 190 @ 1.1:1
Star Trac 2 @ 0.7:1

Prefer the Star Trac because it is a great way to relax and watch the skyline. Split slider so no flapping and none of the screaming wind the Stiletto creates (tho it is a fun night jump as well). Have a plan, get a couple jumps the day of the night jump with the canopy you plan to jump that night to get a good feel for it in current conditions.
Hearts & Minds
2 to the Heart-
1 to the Mind-
Home of the Coconut Lounge, Spa, & Artillery Range

And ALL of these landings within the pre-planned, and well lit/set-up/established LZ?

no, the third one with the raven III was in Yakima Wa. with five industrial work lamps set up. The wind blew me about 1/8th mile away, landed in the dark with orchards and hop fields all around. it was this jump that made my decision to downsize.

one of the jumps on my stiletto 135 resulted in landing next to a warehouse with no lights other than the one on the flag pole.

and our idea of a well lit landing area is to have at least 5 cars with thier headlights on.
I know the area around Richland well, I know where the hazards are and are not. -
I probably wouldnt be quite as confident at a new dz at night.....

Jumping with your head screwed on straight, is in my opinion more apt to enable you to make a night jump safely than a docile canopy is,
incorectly handled a canopy with a low wingload can be fatal as well

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.