novacaine

Beer and Skydiving

For the last week I have been playing Skydive Radio in the truck on the way to work. I find that SDR has made my drive each morning awesome. I also pick up two employees of mine each morning, so SDR has started a few discussions about skydiving.
As I am a fairly new to the sport. Having only made 30 jumps in the last 4 years and still no A license. As the jump season here is short and other committments come up.
So I am unable to answer many questions that my employees ask me. Today one of the employees made a statement that kind of shocked me and I have yet to address his statement as I to do not have an answer for him. So I hope that I may get some feed back to be able to address his statement.
The employees statement was "I would love to skydive, but as a recovering alcoholic I couldn't do it."
Any thoughts and ideas how to address this thought? As I am at a loss here, and I don't want to discouage him from backing away from doing an AFF program next season like he was talking about late last week.
Thanks!

The employees statement was "I would love to skydive, but as a recovering alcoholic I couldn't do it."

Two possible reasons -

Right or wrong, being around skydiving pretty much means being around alcohol. He may know that he isn't able to be around alcohol without drinking it.

Skydiving can be addictive. It's possible he doesn't want to replace one addiction with another.

Did he say that because he wouldn't be able to be around alcohol or because he thinks he wouldn't be accepted? If it's the latter, tell him not to worry. I know plenty of people who skydive and don't drink. Plus, he could always skydive and go home later at night when the drinks start pouring a lot.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

As someone who has been through the 12 steps and has a minimal amount of skydives, (around 500), I can assure you that you don't have to drink. You can hang and have a good time without partying. Just depends on your ability to hang with others that might partake. Not everyone that skydives partakes, you just have to be ok with those that do.

:D

as a recovered recovering person (skydiving worked better for me than anonymous things) I think that is some bunk (for me at least)

a guy I used to talk to once said what works for me works for me and what works for you works for you

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Did this conversation arise from the 'Beer Rules'? If so, point out to him that one of the core principles to the beer rule is to bring new folks into the fold (so to speak). It builds commraderie, opens a venue for inexperienced jumpers to get acquainted with others, and allows experienced folks to parlay their knowledge on those of less experience in addition to helping to keep the fridge stocked.

It's commonly accepted that for those who don't drink that other beverages or goodies are allowed and apprecitated. A cooler full of water bottles in the middle of the afternoon... doughnuts... home-made goodies.... Hell, just about anything edible is generally appreciated.

Nobody will force him to drink to be accepted, and likely he'll find that others will respect his decision to not partake and act accordingly (ok, this last part might be a stretch when the coolers are empty and the boobies are showing... ;) )

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

i had an accident because of alchool...
i dont drink (in the last 13 years)
i buy beer for other ppl
i change the beer with a soda (water) when others pay beer
skydiving can be mixed with nondrinkers

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

Thank you for all the advice I have been given. I spoke with my buddy briefly, and I kind of see where he is coming from. He is at a point where he can't be around people that are drinking, because the temptation is too great for him now.
Yet, I kind of agree with some of you, I think he can't polka. As he is only looking at the now. The AFF program he signed up to isn't until April. So I do hope that will give him enough time to fight his battle. As I disagree that you have to drink to be a skydiver.
Thank you all!