regulator

Had my first ever cut away this past weekend

Ok I am an STP student at Skydive Spaceland in Texas. On my first jump of the day this past saturday I had my first cutaway. I was doing the Swoop Dive n' Dock diveflow and after I tracked away for 5 seconds I waved off and deployed my main. Aupon deployment I looked up and immidietly identified a lineover malfunction. (They had asked me several times and because my adrenaline was pumpin a little I had a hard time recalling exact events right after it happened). But now that I've had time to think this is what happened. I looked up directly after deployment and about two feet from the left edge of the end cell a suspension line was wrapped on top of the canopy. I was going to do a canopy control check and removed the right toggle and was about to remove the left brake when it started spinning to my left. It wasn't a hard spin and the canopy was fully square but I knew I couldn't land it in this configuration. So, I checked my altitude (3,500 Ft.) and cut away. Before I had time to grab the silver reserve handle, the RSL had already engaged my reserve and it was already above my head. I landed normally and figured the only way to get over this was to get on the next load and I was and when I left I only have two more jumps until my 'A' license checkout dive. It was a second or two there when my heartrate picked up but I was far from panicking and I'll admit it was a little weird looking up at the toggles and having them be red instead of yellow. But I should've known there was a weird premonition when right before my load a tandem instructor cut away and right after my load the same instructor with another tandem student cut away again. Weird huh? Well as far as I know everyone is ok and I was thorougyly happy I went through malfunction junction before I went up and I know I will have a few thousand jumps in a couple of years and I will never get too cocky that I refuse to go through it. Its a lifesaver and you can never practice this enough. See you in a week when I can get my 'A' license checkout dive and get even closer to my license!

Paul

I was going to do a canopy control check and removed the right toggle and was about to remove the left brake when it started spinning to my left.

the canopy is obviously going to spin if you only unstow one brake.

He wouldve had to cut away anyways. it was a lineover. I think he made it worse by unstowing one brake tho. If I saw a lineover I wouldve just chopped without trying to fly it.
Poetry don't work on whores.

You can clear a lineover. Flare the canopy, then let up on the toggles. The slack in the brake lines will sometimes (often?) allow them to flip around. I have done it once.

There is a nice vid of someone clearing theirs in this way on SDM.

Obviously with 15jumps, just chopping it is fine, but if you have the altitude, flaring a few times would be a good idea.

Seth
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Obviously with 15jumps, just chopping it is fine, but if you have the altitude, flaring a few times would be a good idea.

This probably depends on where the lineover is. If at the edge of the canopy, it may clear. If closer to the center, it won't clear.

My line over was just off of center, jump number 538. I didn't bother touching the brakes, just said 'goodbye main, hello beer' as I had my first chop and first save.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

You can clear a lineover. Flare the canopy, then let up on the toggles. The slack in the brake lines will sometimes (often?) allow them to flip around. I have done it once.

Obviously with 15 jumps, just chopping it is fine, but if you have the altitude, flaring a few times would be a good idea.

Seth

Am I the only one having a problem with a 100-jump wonder (5 years, 100 jumps) telling a not-yet-licensed student this type of advice?

Seth:
For one thing, Seth, he said it was a suspension line, not a brake line. For another, you have no idea what his instructors are teaching him at this point in his training...Bad move, Seth.

Paul:
Good job, man!
Great confidence-builder, eh? Now you know you can handle it if it happens again!
I'm impressed that you got back on the horse. And even more impressed with your great attitude.
Kudos to both you and your instructors.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Pops,

I replied to Kiki, just to her comment "you would have had to chop it anyway"; it sounded to me like she thought lineovers could never be fixed. Perhaps she saw the suspension line reference that I missed! I guess I should have added her comment or put her name in the post to make that clearer.

The OP did the correct thing, he even stated he was going to do a control check, part of which is a flare.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Well honestly it was close enough to the left end cell...perhaps a foot or two away and I thought for a second I could clear it with a CCC (the first part of canopy control check is to flare) well once I release the right brake it began to spin to the left...I can only assume because the weight of my body and the rig on the suspension line was closing the left end cells. It wasn't a rather violent spin per say but I knew that for one thing I wasn't the one making it spin and for another I wanted to make my decision BEFORE my hard deck. When I started my diveflow it was the first time I did a diving exit. Well I squared up with the door more than the back of the plane and I flopped around like a duck but I knew I could recover and I also knew that the cut away was something I HAD to get right. I'm just glad skydiving is sanctioned by others who are experts in the field and want students to know what to expect if ______ happens, and how to react to it. I will be a skydiver for the rest of my life because one it kicks total ass and two because of all of you. My other family. Blue skies and see you at the DZ in a week.

Paul

I have had two lineovers that I have cleared by pulling down on (aka flaring) the rear risers.

However, I will also say that the best thing is to use logical judgment and follow the teaching of your instructors.

Good job- and I tip my hat to you for getting back into the air so soon.

I've been told that pushing the nose too far into the canopy when packing can cause a lineover. Any thoughts?
http://3ringnecklace.com/

Seth

Yes and no. It all depends on where the line over is, and what kind of a lineset you have.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

> You can clear a lineover.

Often - not, and often it will start a spin that you have to get away from quickly.

I generally teach to chop immediately if the canopy is distorted and spinning, because it's probably a lineover. (Hard to see those little lines when you're spinning and losing altitude fast.) If the canopy is inflated and flying relatively straight, but there's something odd about it, releasing the brakes and doing three deep flares will solve a multitude of problems, including a stuck slider, a clearable tension knot, a (minor) lineover or closed endcells (which can be hard to tell from a lineover for a beginner.)

It's the condition of the canopy and how it's flying, not the line-over-ness of the canopy, that determines whether you have to chop it immediately or if you have time to fuss with it.

As always, the above is background info only, listen to your instructors etc etc.

I've been told that pushing the nose too far into the canopy when packing can cause a lineover. Any thoughts?

When you push the nose into the center of the canopy, you're pushing the lines out from the center. They can wrap around things, get out of order, get slack in them, ect. Messy lines lead to a much greater probability of a lineover (and pretty much every other partial malfunction for that matter).

Rule number 1 of packing: lines in the center, fabric away from the center. Everything else can look like crap, but if the lines are in the center and straight, it's probably fine. Anyone who's ever seen the Golden Knights' 3-minute packjob knows this!;)
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

As a veteran of three cutaways, I was always questioned when I was on the ground as to why I did what I did. The third cutaway was a major malfunction, so no one questioned me on that one.

But the grilling you get from other jumpers, tend to make you questioned what you have done.

Go with your training, if you don't think you can land it, then chop it.

Don't ride a bad canopy to the ground, while you are wondering if you are doing the right thing, or what the other jumpers will say.

FF

Don't ride a bad canopy to the ground, while you are wondering if you are doing the right thing, or what the other jumpers will say.

I can't agree more. Fuck what the other jumpers might say (excluding your instructors). They weren't there, and they don't know what it was like, period.

I had a girlfriend who chopped from tension knots on jump 17, did a great job. A few people gave her shit about it and how "they would have landed it", blah, blah. Then she had tension knots on jump 25 (bad luck happens). Figured out she could keep it going strait if she kept one toggle all the way down, so she tried to land it. At flare time, she let the toggles up and flared... predictably, the result was a low turn and a broken leg.

Did she screw up? yeah. But you know what... the real idiot wasn't her, it was the people who told her she could land a canopy with tension knots at 25 jumps.

A lot of people with thousands of jumps either have never had a real malfunction, or forget that when you've got 10, or 50, or 100 jumps, maybe you can't actually tell the difference yet between a streamer and a possibly fixable line-over. So what they have to say is completely irrelevant.

When in doubt, whip it out.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

It continues to amaze ME how FAST our little processor inside our skulls deals with and decerns info as we need it ESP under a malf!! I knew (i could feel the difference) something was wrong as soon as I deployed because the lines became unstowed way too fast.--LINEDUMP!! 1st check during inflation revealed to me that I had a L/O, 2nd chk after inflated and altitude and heading check was in fact a L/O!! It was a left edge L/O (looking forward, dont know which line, didnt care) I just did what I was told to do when I started some 10yrs ago even with a few years of layoff I STILL remembered (my processor didnt QUITE CrAsH on me).... I was already turning left under this m/f at about 2800'... I dont FEEL that I panicked! But the "QUITE CrAsH" bit was that I pulled my RESV hndl B4 I cut the main!
The ONLY razzing (wasnt that much) I recd was that I didnt follow my main down! My answer was "I just did what I was TAUGHT" and that settled that pretty quickly! Didnt find my main til 2weeks ago after the harvest had started. I got right back on that horse too with a student rig... Didnt like that price, so bought another rig! My main is on its way to PD for their airworthy evaluation. A few pinholes and a new lineset (combine scissors) and it will fly again.
So I didnt DO exactly what I was taught! But with my holy spirit watching over/under me, I indeed survived TWICE on the same jump!!!
WE jumpers CANNOT practice our EPs enuf! PERIOD! We cannot discuss this stuff enuf! PERIOD!!
Personnely, at 44 yoa, It is all about safety! Some laugh at me esp whuffos when I speak about safety on the jobsites and they know I jump from planes... They try say that its an oxymorronPeace and blessings to ALL of us and those whom left us too soon!!!