RSG

DZM: loads per day 182?

Hi all

How many loads per day will a Cessna 182 give you (full loads)?

Also how many jumps per year would happen for the big drop zones? (more than one plane)

Is there any statistics on how many tandem jumps per year in all DZ'z? also would the DZ's would announce how many Tandems they got for a year?

I can remember doing 15 loads in a day. That would have been tandems and fun jumpers so some would have gotten off at 3500 but most at 11k.

While I personally don't have experience in this area the discussion has gone on a lot at my DZ and I've paid attention.

We've got the 182 widebody with the 300hp engine upgrade and a nice 3 blade prop. It also has wingtip extensions and a few other STCs but I don't remember what they are. The engine upgrade makes a big difference in climb rate and therefore how many loads you can do. The pilot also makes a big difference as one of our pilots is like 4-5 minutes quicker to the ground.

On a full fuel load (48gallons maybe) the weight and balance allowed 4 passengers. On that load I observed about 500fpm of climb rate on my altitrack. I'm sure you could find published specs on this. So that's about 20min +/- up to 11k. If I recall correctly it's about 35-40min round trip.

I can't tell you any of the other stats but I suspect the tandem loads is entirely location specific. Tandems are usually non-regular customers and you'd have different numbers according to the success of your advertising/networking.

-Michael

We are a club run DZ, so there is no DZO/DZM, but I'm on the Board so I'll answer for our club...

We usually turn 15-20 loads per day no problem, and our's is pretty doggy. However, we do fly the hell out of that bird. We MEET THE PLANE, have a pit crew for quicker fuel-ups, and just try to jump as much as we can. 22 during the summer when we start earlier is about the average for those long summer days.
=========Shaun ==========

jumper availability helps, one of my better days was 21 loads to 9-11 thousand ft off a 3500ft altitude runway, the other pilot got the same amount that day, a good day, top altitudes are agl.
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

The pilot also makes a big difference as one of our pilots is like 4-5 minutes quicker to the ground.

One question is if this pilot is hurting the engine doing the quicker descent. Sure the plane is capable, but quick cooling issues/theories (ie. shock cooling) abound.

Healthy flying means about 30 mins / load to 10K. Diesel is quicker, other gimmicks (wingtips etc.) help too. How much do you have time? Do you have a spare pilot?

We've done 28 loads a day with 182H, with one pilot having a 15 min lunchbrake and coffee in the plane on the way up. It was a lot.
>If God meant for man to fly, He´d have given him much more money.

McG, DZ EFVA dictator

The pilot also makes a big difference as one of our pilots is like 4-5 minutes quicker to the ground.

One question is if this pilot is hurting the engine doing the quicker descent. Sure the plane is capable, but quick cooling issues/theories (ie. shock\
cooling) abound.

Most pilots are aware of cooling to fast I.E. shock cooling and take measures to keep the engine hot on decent.
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

One question is if this pilot is hurting the engine doing the quicker descent. Sure the plane is capable, but quick cooling issues/theories (ie. shock\
cooling) abound.

Most pilots are aware of cooling to fast I.E. shock cooling and take measures to keep the engine hot on decent.

It's not all about "keeping it hot" on descent. Lots of other factors with regard to "shock cooling". I followed another 182 down after a formation load that was instrumented showing whether they shocked cooled or not. It amazed me how quickly shock cooling can happen.