howardwhite

What is this plane?

Picture of Curtiss Robin.

Not that I can really tell the details of the difference between it and the Stinson that's also pictured, but, well, if people who jumped it say it's a Curtiss Robin they might know.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It is definetly a Curtiss. It may be a robin I can't say for sure. It was obviously modified for jumpers and had two sliding doors on one side. That picture is well known in the Northwest, I have seen it many times at different dropzones. I am almost positive that was taken at Kapowsin during the Geek brothers convention in the late '80s.

I made jumps from that plane at Geek brothers in Washington. Not one like it, that exact same plane. I remember when it first landed all the jumpers from Oregon said "what is that thing?" The pilot told us it was a Curtiss. I also remember manifest calling for Curtiss loads on the loudspeaker.

We also flew Beavers at that boogie. Ralph has one and Kapowsin used to have one. They are similar but the beaver is a metal airplane and the Curtiss is fabric. The Beaver has one door and the Curtiss had two. Both are tail draggers but the Curtiss is longer and narrower, the Beaver is wider.

Pilatus Porter..... Best Jump Plane in the world!!

WTF?? Where do you guys come up with this?? If you don't know what your talking about, don't post!!!

YOUR ALL WRONG, THATS a Skyvan...or no, maybe a casa... Wait wait, I know, its a twin otter...or a Cessna 206? No Maybe a Cessna 205...wait, it has a radial engine, it has to be a King Air!

Lance

No no no no....that's a 1939 Pulyapudov 987. It was originaly powered by the engine pulled out of a 1937 Nash.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

The Curtiss Travel Air was an open cockpit Bi-plane.

The Curtiss we are talking about was NOT a Travel Air. Maybe a modified Robin.

I remember that plane well and everyone at the DZ called it a Curtiss including the pilot. Ralph would probaly know what model. I will e-mail him that picture so we can solve this mystery......

Well, now you've got me really thinking. I'll try to get hold of Cossey; he should know what they had.
I have a faint memory of the Issaquah TravelAir/TravelAire (sp?) going down on a ferry flight when the fabric peeled off of the wings, doesn't fly worth a damn when that happens. The two guys inside were pilot-types and not wearing any rigs.

OK, mystery solved!

It IS a Curtiss ROBIN, modified for jumpers with a bigger engine and jump doors.

Lynn Emerich bought this Curtiss to replace the TravelAire that crashed & killed the pilot when it was returning from Eastern Washington after they replaced the fabric on the wings.

it looks a lot like the paint...On the ryan it looks like those low windows are forward of the strut and from this angle it dosn't appear that way...but it very well could be a Ryan, maybe a B-5???

BUT....I think I may have a winner...
A Stinson SM-8A Junior "Detroiter"...has the right empennage, short snout, radial, dual wing struts, and the right looking landing gear. They could have easily added another door for skydivers..

The bigest kicker to me was the funny looking step on the strut. At first I thought it was an addition, but after more research, found it was kind of a trademark of these Stinsons...in the original, look straight down from the guy hanging out the door, furthest forward, you'll see it on the strut. Now look at this image...

Here's some more images: http://www.airminded.net/sm8/sm8.html

course Porters originally had radial engines... hence the stupidly long nose on them because the turbine is much much lighter and they have to stick it way out front in order to keep the C of G right...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wrong
Porters never had radial engines.

When the prototype first flew on 4 May 1959, it had a HORIZONTALLY OPPOSED, Lycoming piston engine. The first production batch also had Lycoming piston engines, but since they didn't climb very well on only 340 horsepower, the second batch got French turbo-prop engines, Fairchild Porters got American-made Garret turboprop engines and the vast majority of Porter production got Canadian-made Pratt & Whitney PT-6A-? turboprop engines.

You were correct in explaining that lighter turboprop engines require an extra yard (meter for Europeans) of engine mount for balance.

Can't give you an exact year that 'It's a Squah' shut down; Lowe & Lewis owned it in '75, then the skydivers ran it in '76, then Jamie took over for a couple of years. So I am thinking she probably closed in '79-'80-ish.
I remember jumping that Curtis, had a huge long step, in-line with the fuselage. You could put about 5-6 people out there.

Can't give you an exact year that 'It's a Squah' shut down; Lowe & Lewis owned it in '75, then the skydivers ran it in '76, then Jamie took over for a couple of years. So I am thinking she probably closed in '79-'80-ish.

I'm pretty sure I jumped Issaquah during their last year of operation in '87.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I made many jumps from this plane in Issaquah when Jamie Wooward bought it and brought it back to DZ. I guess it was there in the early 70's and Jamie brought it back for because he jumped it when he was an up an coming skydiver. It was always refered to as a 1931 Curtiss Wright Air Sedan and we put 8 until the FAA said no more than 6 due to the weight (unless we had girls on the load). We used it for our CRW team jumps and record attemps until the weight issue, we had some big guys on that team.
Tbdavis1