katzurki

footwear question

I know someone who landed barefoot on grass and did not hurt himself (nor did he find the wellington boots he lost on deployment).

Meh. I used to jump barefoot all the time in the summer, quite a few people do, the wind feels nice in your toes.

Once I started to learn how to swoop, I put the shoes back on, though.

Barefoot jumping isn't that big of a deal in a lot of the US.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Tape it, using adhesive or sports tape. Done right, it isn't very bulky and can really add a lot of resistance to bending in the direction you don't want it to go. I did this for a couple of months after resuming jumping, following a bad ankle sprain, and it worked great. I took 6 weeks off, before jumping, after the sprain. Don't push it, if it's not ready, you'll just cause yourself more problems, likely permanent.

I keep coming back to this thread thinking I should post something but then shy away from it. Well, I'm just going to do it and hope it might help in the least. Something to consider when jumping with an ankle brace = don't let it give you a false sense of security. Or, better yet, don't let it cause you to baby one leg over the other. I was wearing an ankle brace (Swedo Ankle Lok - awesome) from a sprain in June. It's Sept. and still just not quite right. (yes, I went to a doc.) Mostly, I'm wearing the brace as a precaution. Because I had the brace on, my mind went into "I need to baby that ankle and not hurt it again" mode. On a perfectly normal landing, I started to land on the sprained ankle, thought to myself "no, I need to be careful of that one" and promptly hopped over to the other one - landing on the side of my foot and causing a tib/fib break resulting in a plate and 7 screws. I think if I had just stayed the course, this likely wouldn't have happened (who knows). But, the brace made me act differently.
If wearing a brace while jumping, first, make sure you really should be jumping or giving it more time to heal. Two, be careful of over compensation. In my case, I had given it time to heal but just overcompenstated for it. Now, it's been 3 months since the break and I'm looking at not jumping again until February. :(
Just something extra to think about. I haven't seen anyone post anything yet about this and thought I'd throw in my two dirty, just found in a gutter, cents.

-------------------------
"If you've never jumped out of a plane, the best way I can describe it is it feels as if you've just jumped out of a freakin' plane."
David Whitley (Orlando Sentinel)

ever tried worn down high-tops? like older converse all stars? smooth on bottom for slide-age but provide more ankle support than normal skate shoes.

p.s. DC's suck :)

i love my chucks! i didn't get them so much for ankle support as i did because my regular sneakers kept coming loose in freefall and i was afraid i'd lose one.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001