rustymurray

Buying from dropzone

Hi everyone,I'm looking to buy my first rig (190 main,container to suit 6ft 1 200ibs)I've been looking on the classifieds and was wondering as I live in Ireland what would be the safest way of paying someone if I come across a rig outside of Ireland cos obviously it would have to be posted,just wondering how ye guys have done this in the past

With purchasing online I prefer PayPal. You can either use a credit card through paypal or your bank account. It is a secure way of sending money internationally.

(Make sure the person seems trustworthy because theres still no guarantee they will ship the goods)

I used my rigger as the go-between but also had more trust because the person is a verified dzo of a dropzone and that gave me more confidence.

I have used www.escrow.com for buying things from people i did not know and who were out of state. They dont get the funds, until you release them, AFTER you get & inspect what they promised. They are first notified that you have paid escrow.com, so they can feel secure in shipping the merch out to you.

Its expensive but worth it i think...
-Rainier

Sparks Brother #1 // "I vaguely heard someone yell "wait!" but by that point i was out the door." Quote from dz.com somewhere

With purchasing online I prefer PayPal. You can either use a credit card through paypal or your bank account. It is a secure way of sending money internationally.

(Make sure the person seems trustworthy because theres still no guarantee they will ship the goods)

Be careful with paypay because on something expensive like a rig you could end up paying hefty fees to paypal.

IMO paypal has many problems and I will never use them again after my wifes recent experience. She tried to pay for a canopy she bought from someone on dropzone.com. She had to set up a Paypal account to pay for it. Paypal was a royal pain in the ass. During their verificatoin process they cancelled payment twice, finally took the money from her account but cancelled the sellers payment request and then would not return the funds to her bank account. They told her that she would have to open a new bank account to get the funds back. They never paid the seller.

She only got her money back from paypal by filing a fraud claim with her bank and it took forever. Finally the seller just sent the canopy and we sent a check. By this time we all knew like we had known each other for years. LOL . I swore I would spread the bad news about Paypal any chance I have so I took that opportunity here.

I like the idea suggested above of using a Local DZ as the intermediary myself.
One of the surest signs that intelligent life exists in outer space is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Be careful with paypay because on something expensive like a rig you could end up paying hefty fees to paypal.

I have had great success with PayPal. However, they do charge the Seller about 2% (4.5% if credit card is involved). Make sure you read the details, as this could be a bit of $ in a large transaction.

Kevin K.

I have bought and sold many items from DZ.com by shipping COD through the US post office with no troubles. Post office won't hand over the package until you have made payment. You can specify the type of payment ie. cash, postal money order. It's not fool proof, but it's easy quick and cheep. It primarily protects the seller, as the package could be empty, but the post office takes postal fraud very seriously.

Doug