countzero

what to work on for a hoop dive?

i'l be talking with people at my DZ this weekend but i figure the more info i can get, the better.

i'm closing in on my 100th. wanting to do a hoop dive for it, i'm looking for pointers and suggestions on what to work on to give me the best chance for success.

blue skies!
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

By 100 jumps you should already have all the skills you need for a hoop drive.

If not you should start looking for golf clubs. :P;)

Don't worry about it, just have fun. If there are a bunch of people on the jump have the organizer stress being patient and each taking a turn. It can be ugly if multiple people just go for it at once.

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Make sure that the best fliers are the hoop holders. They have to keep it on heading and at a constant fall rate. Bad flying by the holders will wreck the dive.

Put the better fliers toward the front of the lineup. That will minimize screwups at the beginning and give the newbies good approaches to watch.

Kevin

At break-off time, if you end up with people on both sides of the hoop, don't track towards each other!

Resist the urge to dive into the hoop at break-off time if you happen to be "right there" Break off as planned. I watched 2 people both jam themselves together in a hoop at break-off trying to get through at the last second. :S
Owned by Remi #?

On the last one we did, we had about 7 people and here's how we did it (it worked pretty well):

Have the two hoop fliers face each other when holding it...helps eliminate potential backsliding away from the jumpers.

People went through and linked up on the other side in a star. At 6k everyone but the two holders track off and deployed at 4.5k (we had a variety of experience levels on this dive and that made the most sense for who was there).

The hoop holder verifies clear airspace, waves off and deploys at 4.5k with the other person stabilizing the hoop by flying on level and lightly holding the hoop in front of the holder...no death grips, and let go when they see a Dbag coming out. The stabilizer person tracks and deploys at 3k.

The hoop holder can hold the hoop between their ankles and fly home. Try to drop the hoop over a wind sock for some extra points.

Make sure everyone on the dive can be trusted to dive the plan! Put the new people in the 6k breakoff group. Make sure they can track with awareness...as a previous poster eluded, don't want them tracking under the hoop group and deploying. Put people who have done it before as hoop holders.

You can make the dive more complicated in a few ways, depending on the skill level you have...for example, once through the hoop, have the star start turning points, or go back around and get in line to go through again.

i'm looking for pointers and suggestions on what to work on to give me the best chance for success.

The point of a hoop dive is to do a jump that's just fun - one in which it's not a matter of "working on something" like fallrate or proximity. Basically, don't work on anything, just remember that skydiving is fun.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

i'm looking for pointers and suggestions on what to work on to give me the best chance for success.

The point of a hoop dive is to do a jump that's just fun - one in which it's not a matter of "working on something" like fallrate or proximity. Basically, don't work on anything, just remember that skydiving is fun.
What he said...And if you want to get warmed up, practice flying through a small hoop-shaped object in the air.:P:P

Enjoy your 100th! Watch out for the pie
I got nuthin

First the hoop unstaple one side pull it apart then fill it with aquarium gravel or such restaple . it will fly much better .I electrical tape about 4:30 and 7:30 clock positions for grip locations If some one goes through and comes aroud behind you to take your place to go through ,it establishes a good location. and makes it easy to raise or lower for a not quite perfect attempt. Too heavy holders will Guillotine any passers, any one with the hoop in their left hand at break-off just sticks it out and pulls normal . you can actually hang it on you neck to land with it. An Otter or Caravan exit go side by side backing out inner hand on the hoop touching the floor between you outer hands on the floater bar ,look at each other for your go then let it flip up between you . A C-182 pass it out to the person on the step shuffle out facing front and off you go.. I hope this helped, and enjoy like I have

The hoop holder verifies clear airspace, waves off and deploys at 4.5k with the other person stabilizing the hoop by flying on level and lightly holding the hoop in front of the holder...no death grips, and let go when they see a Dbag coming out. The stabilizer person tracks and deploys at 3k.

probably best just to have the other hoop holder track away with the rest of the group at breakoff. Theres no need to have an additional person "stabilize" a hoop for deployment.

MB 3528, RB 1182

The other weekend we did a hoop jump we made a one out of 3 pool noodles taped together so we could fold it and get it out of the door of a 182. In this case we definitely needed a 2nd person holding it down when it came time to dump, but for a stiff hoop it shouldn't be that necessary. Still, nothing too wrong with a bit of extra safety if you have the height to play with.

Another thing to consider is how the person will climb out (hoop in the hand/looped over the shoulder etc) and like I mentioned before, whether it will actually fit through the door.

Enjoy your lob, make sure you have cameras on!!