LucFace

How much do jump pilots make?

I've heard of some getting paid a certain amount of $ per jumper (per head) they take to altitude.

I've heard of some getting paid a flat rate to "show up" (gas money) + a certain amount of $ per jumper they take to altitude.

I've heard of some getting paid a certain amount of $ per day... wether they sit around or work their asses off.

I've heard of some being paid no $ at all... they just get the privilage of building time in what ever aircraft / type they're flying.

Of course, how do you figure what the DZO / Pilot gets paid a year?

I guess it all "depends".

Why don't you ask some jump pilots?

i supose thats what im doing. im not near any so ill have to find them here. thanx for the run down. i didnt think about all the options.
im a skydiver who wants to become a pilot and im curious. i will fly regardless.
im also wondering if anyone out here wants to trade work for hours or anything. like packers sometimes do at the DZ to get their A. im not happy doing what im doing and i need to get in the air again and soon.

And there's another option. Don't get paid, but have to be a member of the club - these guys actually PAY to fly. Retired airline pilots mostly, at a very small club.

If you want to work to jump, pack. The investment is a lot lower. And the pay may be better - if you don't count flight hours as payment.
Johan.
I am. I think.

I'm getting $15/load (above average rate!), $40 daily minimum if its slow. No monthly/annual guarantee, but it averages about $750/month.

Other drop zones I've seen pay from $6-$10/load, and if its a high-volume DZ it can be good money.

Flight hours as pay isn't really realistic anymore, because the need to build flight hours before going to airlines is no longer necessary - the airlines will hire anyone with a pilot license and a pulse.

So it is not unlikely that drop zones will have to increase pay a bit in the future if they want to attract quality pilots. There is little economic motivation for a person to pay upwards of $50,000 for a commercial pilot license, only to "fly for food" with the prospects of making $21,000/year in the airlines, and maybe make over $40,000/year after five to six years of time invested in aviation. Not a good investment case at all. Only doctors and lawyers wanting a career change will be able to afford it - or retired airline people.
I like subway.

ok. Thank you asmund and freinds. my brain is filling up nicely. i am really apreciative. now im more curious to see others experience and im thinking this thread will prove usefull to others aswell.
im doing my first jump in one year on the 4th nov for me birfday so anyone going to the ranch that weekend hop on the load!
Thanx again guys

My guess is that they get 'x' amount per head, and they can get an extra body or two into the
207 vs. the 182.

That is exactly right, plus it is turboed and takes more hrs by insurance requirements to fly and is much more sensitive to shock cooling and alot more attention needs to be paid to the aircraft overall.
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward