Vapor

My slider is acting cold and distant

Okay. this is dumb and basic, but I cannot for the life of me seem to reach/collapse my slider what with the flapping around. I think it may have to do with my swoop cords restricting arm movement, or maybe I just don't have the dexterity to grab the little tabs. Sounding like a Stearman is getting annoying. Tips? Tricks?

----------------------------------------
'Of course it hurts. The trick is not *minding* that it hurts.'
- T.E. Lawrence

First : maybe try taking the swoop cords off and regain more arm movement.

Second : can your slider be pulled down past the links ?? ("big" risers, slink covers)

Third : if 1 and 2 are OK and you still can't reach the slider, get arm extensions :):P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

get arm extensions

Or shorter risers...

whoa steady there - get shorter risers, alter canopy trim - better to get longer arms
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Loosen your chest strap. You probably have it too tight and it is inhibiting it from transitioning all the way down.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

get arm extensions

Or shorter risers...

whoa steady there - get shorter risers, alter canopy trim - better to get longer arms

They will change the brake setting for that jumper, but how will they alter canopy trim. With shorter risers the "short" comes off the bottom not the top.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

how will they alter canopy trim. With shorter risers the "short" comes off the bottom not the top.

my uneducated guess...

shorter risers will :
-set the CG higher
-let the canopy spread less, in length and in span

But I don't know if a couple of inches less will have such a great effect. Ask on the canopy control forum what effect changing the riser length can have.

how will they alter canopy trim. With shorter risers the "short" comes off the bottom not the top.

my uneducated guess...

shorter risers will :
-set the CG higher
-let the canopy spread less, in length and in span

But I don't know if a couple of inches less will have such a great effect. Ask on the canopy control forum what effect changing the riser length can have.

The line length will still be the same and line length is what determines trim.

Sparky

OK for the trim, but the shape of the canopy and the CG will be influenced won't they ?? Most certainly very slightly.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, shorter risers will slightly affect line length - by maybe half a percentage point!
Hah!
Hah!
Loosening your chest strap will restore more than that in stability, etc.

OK for the trim, but the shape of the canopy and the CG will be influenced won't they ?? Most certainly very slightly.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, shorter risers will slightly affect line length - by maybe half a percentage point!
Hah!
Hah!
Loosening your chest strap will restore more than that in stability, etc.

Rob,

If you make the risers 10 inches or 10 feet, the lines will stay the same length. Am I missing something here.

Sparky

When you reach up to the slider are you trying to grab the little tabs straight away? When I first jumped a rig with collapsible slider I had a bit of trouble because whaen I reached up I just tried to get the tabs between finger and thumb when I reached up.

What I do now is just grab the back of the slider (which stops it flapping) and then slide my hands in until I reach the little tab thingies. It's then pretty easy to get the tabs and pull them out, even if the slider is only in fingertip range.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

If you aren't taking off your swoop cords, then that would definitely be the first idea to try. If your cord length is set up correctly, it should reduce the length of your maximum reach a bit, so definitely take them off as soon as you get under a good canopy. If you still can't reach, then follow the shorter riser advice above, but if you can reach the slider without the swoop cords on, then you don't want to shorten your risers. They should be as long as possible without being too long.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

If you make the risers 10 inches or 10 feet, the lines will stay the same length. Am I missing something here.

Line length will remain the same, total suspended length, or height will be different, and this should influence the balance of the canopy and the pendulum effects.

It will surely be more noticeable under a small canopy.

If you aren't taking off your swoop cords, then that would definitely be the first idea to try. If your cord length is set up correctly, it should reduce the length of your maximum reach a bit, so definitely take them off as soon as you get under a good canopy. If you still can't reach, then follow the shorter riser advice above, but if you can reach the slider without the swoop cords on, then you don't want to shorten your risers. They should be as long as possible without being too long.

What is "as long as possible without being too long"?

Sparky

Line length will remain the same, total suspended length, or height will be different, and this should influence the balance of the canopy and the pendulum effects.

It will surely be more noticeable under a small canopy.

The relationship of the load to the canopy will be different but the trim will remain the same.
The difference 2 to 3 inches will make would be hard for even the best of canopy pilots to notice.

Sparky

"My slider was acting cold and distant...and it wasn't the first time. I have had a lot of sliders in my day but this one was the worst.
It all started one dark and stormy night...I came into the room and she had nothing on but the radio. Afterwards, as we lay there smoking cheap cigarettes and swilling bad whisky she brought it up ...again. That slider..that god damned slider...pissed me off..so I shot her. No cheap floozy is gonna talk to me that way...specially 'bout that slider."
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

What is "as long as possible without being too long"?

It's just that. The longest riser which you can still reach the slider on. Some people like being able to take a nice grasp of their rapid links when doing riser manuevers, so they may need an inch shorter. But I was merely saying that you want the maximum length riser while still being able to do whatever you feel you need to do. Longer is better.

Longer is better.***

Only in the adult film industry. Under canopy, it really depends on what you want. Everything is a trade off. Longer risers do give you a longer recovery arc, and a greater potential for airspeed when swooping, but you lose some of the twitchiness of your canopy. In other words, you also gain stability in pitch and roll axes. For some, more stability is undesireable simply due to the fun factor. If you have a canopy with a fairly long recovery arc to begin with, you're not a swoop competitor, and you still like to toss your canopy around like a jet fighter up high, maybe shorter risers are what you want.

Why do you say this? PD designed the Velocity to fly best on a certian length of risers to take advantage of the pendulium effect at that length.

In response to both you and Murps, the original poster has 83 jumps and is under a spectre 210, so much of your reasoning isn't valid here. He is having problems with collasping his slider, so I can't imagine that canopy twitchiness is the top of his priorities.

Canopy twitchiness is *definitely* not my first concern -- the thing is vast and stable as can be. Taking the swoop cords off is a little tricky, cause I route the left one under my alti. Maybe taking just the right one off would do the trick; I'll try it. I think the grabbing the middle and feeling my way out to the tabs is a good idea. Also stretching. ; )

many thanks for all the input.

blues
W

- T.E. Lawrence

It was a Spectre... a Spectre to make a bishop kick a hole in a plate-glass window.

I'm naming my canopy "Chandler" in your honor, Hawkins. ;)

- T.E. Lawrence