JoeJ

Question to skydivers from Joe Jennings

Hello everyone:

I've been put to task by the PIA to produce a video that promotes skydiving. This video will come in different lengths for different applications and media.

People know that skydiving is exciting and exhilarating. What they don't know is that skydiving can change lives, that the exhilaration and enjoyment we experience, tends to spread into other areas of our lives.

So with this project ahead of me, if you have one jump, or thousands, I'd like to ask you as a skydiver the following questions:

What drew you to the sport in the first place?
What kept you in the sport?
Has skydiving changed other areas of your life?
Has skydiving affected you personally?
Why should someone try skydiving?
Other thoughts?

What I learn from your replies, I'm sure, will greatly improve this video.

Please write your reply in essay form and also include a photograph of yourself. I'd like to post these essays along with your photos.

In general, our sport needs more up jumpers. I believe that if we're able to show that skydiving is more than just scary and fun, that it actually becomes a part of us, and positively affects other areas of our lives, then we'll have a powerful marketing tool that will draw people to the sport and encourage them to stay.

You can reply here, or email me at [email protected]. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Blue Skies!
Joe Jennings

Joe Jennings
http://www.skydive.com
http://www.skydive.tv

Joe Jennings

Although you will probably learn a lot by reading responses to those questions, it seems like they're more powerful if they're part of the promotion. To me, seeing people answer those questions live (in between lots of really kick-ass footage, which I'm sure you can scrounge up somewhere!) would help to sell the sport. Seeing what we as skydivers can do in the air is a pretty amazing marketing tool, but seeing the way a skydiver's eyes light up when he or she talks about the sport and what it means ... well, to me, that's the draw right there. That takes it from "these people are not like me and I could never be a part of that" to "this person is a lot like me and look what skydiving did for him/her."

I'd like to post these essays along with your photos.

Post where? On skydive.com or somewhere else? Helpful to know where you might use this info if we send it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I first jumped with a group from college. I didn't know many people in a new city, and thought it would be fun.

When I got to the DZ there were so many cool people and the first night I spent out there reminded me of home. To move from a very small town to a metropolis was a little hard on me, but when I got to the DZ we were in the middle of nowhere drinking beer around a bonfire, singing songs and telling storries! That and the rush of the first jumps, the awesome people, the freedom of learning to fly, it's all good.

I led a pretty sheltered life in my pre-jumping days, and after being exposed to skydiving and skydivers it definitely gave me a very new perspective on a lot of things. I think the biggest everyday-applicable affect is that I'm more accepting of other people and what they like to do. A lot of people give jumpers shit and I don't like that, and that's taught me to accept what other people like, even if I don't understand it. It's just basic respect, but I don't know if I'd have that point of view if it weren't for jumping. Also it's taught me a lot about giving. So many talented skydivers helped me for no other reason then that they wanted another skydiver to play with. Now that I've got some skills that I can pass on, I love the feeling that I get in paying it forward, getting a new person to fly with and knowing that they will do the same. The acceptance and the 'pay it forward' attitude are two things that skydiving has taught me and have crossed over into the real world. For that I think skydiving has made me a better person, and that's pretty fucking cool:)
Joe, Good Stuff was the first skydiving video I ever bought and it's still one of my favorites. Thanks a lot for that and Blue Skies

I got nuthin

Let me add to Joe's post (on behalf of the Parachute Industry Association):

The video will be distributed (free) to all USPA Group Member DZs sometime early in 2008. Though they will not be authorized to edit or modify the content, they will be able to select any of the several subsets and add local content for showing at the DZ or to local groups. They can also provide it to broadcast and cable outlets and even to local movie theaters for advertising purposes. It will also be available worldwide from PIA.

In his proposal to PIA, Joe wrote "I'd like this video to motivate the viewer to come skydive." It will help him create that motivation if you can tell him why you skydive and why other people should, too.

PIA is an international association of parachute manufacturers, dealers, materials suppliers, dropzones, riggers and others associated with military, government and sport parachuting. Its members voted this month to commission Joe's video project.

HW

"this person is a lot like me and look what skydiving did for him/her."

I'd like to post these essays along with your photos.

Post where? On skydive.com or somewhere else? Helpful to know where you might use this info if we send it.

Good points:
In the video, there will be interviews and narration. I have lots of ideas, but feel that I'll make a better video with other skydiver perspectives.

I want the video to be cool, but more important, I want non-skydivers to potentially see themselves participating, to show that the sport is within their reach, and that it's really worth trying.

Post where?

For sure I'll post selected essays on skydive.com, and will make them available to other webmasters and publishers. The info could end up anywhere in any media. So if you decide to send an essay, keep in mind that if I select it to post, that it will become public. You might even find it one day published in Outside Magazine or FHM, or wherever. I'll be sharing whatever I gather with the PIA and the USPA, so they may also use or quote your essay in their own efforts to promote the sport.

Joe Jennings

Hey Joe,

I will consider writing up a story for you as to why I started, why I keep jumping and why I can't stop. I'm a member of CSPA and don't think that matters, but it's up to you. Could/would this video possibly be shared with other skydiving organizations?

But I think I may have an idea that caught me off guard when I joined the sport. Get people to add what they do for a living. When I found out what the jumpers did, I was shocked to see how broad it was. I think this would benefit the video/posts because if people can relate, it will hit closer to home. It's to show people that we're not psycho skatboarders, and motocross experts, or crazy extreme people, most of us hold a 9-5 and this is our escape.

I know lawyers, doctors, dentists, nurses, military members, police officers, auto mechanics, IT guys, pilots etc... It shows that everyone and anyone can be a skydiver.

Hope that helps.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Could/would this video possibly be shared with other skydiving organizations?

I know lawyers, doctors, dentists, nurses, military members, police officers, auto mechanics, IT guys, pilots etc... It shows that everyone and anyone can be a skydiver.

Hope that helps.

It helps a lot, and thanks!! The essays I post can be used anywhere to promote the sport. I believe also, that the PIA will make the video available to organizations around the world.

Joe Jennings

I threw mine to your email if you wanna use it.

Cheers.

Got it! Terrific and thanks! For some reason i can't send emails from the airport so my reply is sitting in my out box. But the letter and picture are great and i'm looking forward to posting them.
blue skies!!

Joe Jennings

I believe also, that the PIA will make the video available to organizations around the world.

Correct (as I said earlier.) PIA is an international organization (its next Meeting/Symposium will be in Barcelona in February, 2008), and I expect the content, as Joe outlined it to PIA, will be sufficiently generic to be valuable in other countries; it won't contain any USPA-specific stuff about licenses and ratings and rules and regulations.

HW

answers to your questions

1.. started jumping because i had never been in an airplane, i was 19 at the time, the first jump course was at a college, with 20 others, cost only 50 dollars, and seemed like the easist way to experience an airplane ride...
i had 150 take-offs ( jumps) before i ever landed in a plane.:)
2. the beautiful visuals, the people, the ability to spend weekends and some free time, outdoors, with friends, laughing, and sharing, encouraging one another,,,, and IF you want it to be, skydiving can be "competitive" OR "non competitive".....:| what a great sport, in that regard. I like the fact that jumping is not gender biased... or requires a certain size or strength in it's participants.. everyone can excell if they are healthy, attentive, and know how to learn..;)

3. yes most definately... it reinforces the self confidence i ALREADY had,,,, when I started, It helps me to appreciate, how truly Fortunate we are,,, to be able to skydive.. It shows that attention to detail, continuing to learn, and fine tuning what I already have learned,,, can be applied to all aspects of my daily life.

4. yes... prior to jumping,,,I was a happy person.... after starting in the sport/lifestyle, i'm both happy AND appreciative.. i Strive to do things right.. i have become more deliberate in all parts of my life, i have learned how to interact with ALL sorts of individuals, ( pleasant and unpleasant).. I simply LOVE going to the DZ and meeting new and excited participants of OUR sport. I try to stay enthusiastic, and encouraging...

5. The chance to 'fly', the great visuals, the sense of personal accomplishment, a story to tell the grandkids someday, an exhiliarating and heart pumping adventure. the chance to meet many many 'wild and amazing' people, putting a little zinnnnng... in your life.....
Getting to enjoy an airplane ride;)...
These are all reasons to make a skydive..... or two...B|

6. other thoughts.....

i composed a poem 30 years ago,, or so...

i've shared it with fellow jumpers for years and so I'll share it with you now...

Just One

there was a voice inside me
i'd hear it now and then
when days were warm or skies were blue
or i was with a friend

It started soft with gentle urges
but grew and grew in leaps and surges
til from my mouth as if a shout
one day i said, or blurted out

"for sure, why not ? it might be fun"
"a parachute jump, from a plane, just one"

i'd heard about it , once or twice
and alway thought it would be nice
to look way down, and float around,
chack out the ground, not make a sound..

well the chance arose one free Fall day
and some friends and i , we made our way
through what it was, one had to do
to safely make a jump or two.

i can tell you now it was pretty hairy
the time was near, my mind unclear
and things were looking scarey...

" what are you doing? is it safe? are your sure "?
said that little voice inside me
but i reassured myself and said
"i have my head to guide me"

"for just this once, i'll do this thing
and leave a plane in flight,
and make some friends and have some laughs
and it'll be over, by tonight".

so UP i went, and out the door,
and to my surprise came back for more.
well it's been a while since that Autumn day
and many jumps have gone their way

the early days of aprehension are GONE my friend , there is no tension
now jumping's more than lots of fun
and think .... it started with, Just One

jimmytavino
USPA# 9452
a 3914
d 12122

Joe,
Big Good Stuff fan...You and your crew going up to Baffin again?
That dvd gets a lot of play around here as I use it to draw people to the sport - though i try not to show the youngsters too much of the stunt footage (you being hit by a "car" for example)- thats a tad unsettling for most noobs.
Like them I was drawn to the idea of gravity powered air conditioning, just the death defying thought of it.
At the end of the day I get a rush of accomplishment in that there are skill goals to reach- this sport has endless possibilities and like guitar playing, there is always another layer of achievement to be reached. It gives me a shot of courage when faced with adversity as in; "Well, if I can jump out of a plane, I can handle this.."
Personality changes?, dunno, but I do make more careful decisions because skydiving to me has a lot to do with making good choices... quickly.
Freefall will blast the doors off of your reality like a trip to see the wizard of Oz without all the tornado damage.

I'll see if i can dig up a picture...keep up the good footage.
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

my jumping started with a phone call from my son. He told me that it was a static line jump from 3K. Well, he held the truth a tad. When I got to the DZ to find I was doing a jump from 13,500, the mere fact of 13 thousand
feet made my heart go into the heart attach mode. I then said "fuck you I aint doing this" Then one his buddys said your old man is a fuckin pussy. Now they all think I am a lunatic. Damned if you do & damned if you don't

This sounds like a challenge.

I've yet to see a video that really targets non-jumpers. All the big productions are by skydivers and structured to make skydivers go 'wow', or 'neat', or whatever. With an interest factor to non-jumpers of maybe 5 minutes.

It's easy to get skydivers watch people in their sport.

I like the idea of showing the culture from the point of view of someone just joining the sport.

It's gratifying to see people talking concept and not just pitching you show a bunch of video of the whatever discipline they favor......with the music they favor.... and a bunch of idiots with their tongues stuck out doing the same thing over and over.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

No doubt, there are a lot of skydiving videos with spectacular action and cool music. The sport doesn't really need promoting. People already know it's cool and exhilarating. And its on TV quite a bit. What's missing is the message that skydiving is rewarding, that it can change a person for the better, and that people from all walks in life already participate, and that we're a positive and lively community worth joining.

If I do my job right, the video will say these things.

Joe Jennings

the video will say these things.

It's worth saying. I'm glad to see a professional, like you, doing it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Joe,

I was going to send a PM, but you can't receive them. My husband Travis and I got married in a jump plane (the same one we met in), and we'll be glad to donate the footage from the day. I think it shows just how rewarding the sport can be. I flew like shit on the wedding jump, but hey, I'd just gotten married.

I know there are other skydiving couples on DZ.com who got married the same way. Maybe doing a short segment on these types of weddings will reinforce the idea that most skydivers stay in it because they have found wonderful relationships, and great friendships.

Brie

:)
Brie

"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

Hmmmmmm. I could have swore I posted this. Sorry if it shows as a double post!. Anyways I'm a newbie at 6 jumps, but I figure it can't hurt to have all types of experience levels sharing what they know/feel. Below is my short essay.

I've contemplated skydiving since I was in middle school. To me it represented the absolute limit. Something so terrifying that if I conquered it, I knew I could do anything. I knew going in that skydiving was both safe and dangerous at the same time and that's what really drew me in. Dropzones wouldn't run tandem after tandem if there was a significant loss of life or injury. Don't get me wrong, skydiving can be dangerous and results in many non-fatal injuries but it is not as dangerous as many other extreme sports. Furthermore, jumping out of a plane at 14,000 feet is not something one does rationally. For me, someone who has always been calm, logical, and driven by reason, skydiving let me break free of it and do something my body and mind knew made no sense. You can be a rational person and jump out of a plane, but you drag your mind kicking and screaming through that door. Because I'd been thinking of it for a while it took very little encouragement when a friend at my job I was interning at suggested a group of us go skydiving. Since then I've been hooked.

My first jump was a typical amazing tandem. I promptly went home and bragged to everyone and showed off video and pictures. Being in college it wasn't too long until I got a group of people interested in going in September. I was hoping on a group discount but enough people chickened out that I couldn't get it. My second time was amazing and I sort of knew what to expect and was able to concentrate on enjoying my freefall. I was already planning a spring trip but thought to myself "Hey. Tandems are nice, but wouldn't it be awesome if I could jump out of a plane by myself while my friends were stuck with tandems?" So I signed up for AFF. Once I hung around the dropzone I got to meet a lot of friendly people and realized that skydivers are a very interesting and diverse group. They're not crazy tattooed skateboarders or snowboarding jocks. People had real families and real diverse jobs. People were easy to meet and easy to get along with. People traveled from all over the country to get to the dropzone. I would have trouble defining a stereotypical skydiver: they're young, old, crazy, mild, A licensed and D licensed.

There is no way you can jump out of an airplane at 14,000 feet and 80 knots and not have it affect other areas of your life. There's one that really sticks out though. I was recently offered a Job at a major corporation after my internship there. However, I had done 2 internships with them as well as worked over the winter and was given the same offer as the other interns. I talked to friends and co-workers and they agreed that I should try to ask for more. Keep in mind that I only had an offer, not a contract and definitely no backup plan. My only experience in the real corporate world was with this company so I was quite afraid to ask for more money. I was at my desk rationalizing why I wasn't going to ask for a better offer and take only what was given to me when I thought "If I can step out of an airplane door, why can't I step into my managers office?" So I did. Sheepishly, but without regret I asked for, and got a better offer - something I don't think I could have done without knowing I had pushed my limits. I knew that walking into that office was nowhere near my limit. It wasn't even moving for pete's sake!

Skydiving is with me wherever I go and whatever I do now. When I'm in class or walking outside I can smell the jet fuel. I can look at trees or wind and I look for outs around me and imagine myself coasting over the landscape over canopy. My heart races when I think of my AFF dive flows. The flashbacks to my jumps are so vivid and tactile I imagine a psychiatrist would diagnose me with post traumatic stress disorder. I wouldn't agree it's a disorder or a bad thing at all. Constant reminders that I can push myself to the limit when I want to help me deal with any situation that comes my way. Previously scary or unthinkable actions have become possible.

Skydiving isn't for everyone. Some people can be perfectly happy on the ground and unfortunately some people are not physically able to make the jump. However, if you're looking to push the envelope and figure out what your limits are and the fear you're capable of overcoming, the skydiving is a great place to do it. Again, jumping out of a perfectly good airplane is counter-intuitive and tends to fill everyone with fear and panic at the door. It's overcoming that fear and going against rationality that makes it a freeing and amazing experience.