grlsgotalot2lrn

smart things i have done. .

. . . Jump 4, decided not to take zantrex and drink Red Bull on way to dz, like I had the week before.:S. Much less nervous overall.

As a student, I would love to hear about some of the smarter skydiving things ya'll have done. Ron says, "This sport does not care who you are, How much experience you have, or how nice you are...It WILL kill you if you screw up." But really, It WILL NOT necessarily kill you if you screw up. You can do a poor packing job, lose altitude awarenees, land off, screw up, and live. I'm brand new and expect to screw up, but hopefully the smart choices we make will outweigh the mistakes.

One of the smart things is to remember that there are always more skydives to be had.

As such there is no need to rush, no need to push beyond limits you know in your heart you have. Listen to those around you, the old guys and the young ones too. The ones with more jumps than you and the ones with less. There's lots to learn and lots of time to learn it.

Skydiving is a journey.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

. . . Jump 4, decided not to take zantrex and drink Red Bull on way to dz, like I had the week before.:S. Much less nervous overall.

As a student, I would love to hear about some of the smarter skydiving things ya'll have done. Ron says, "This sport does not care who you are, How much experience you have, or how nice you are...It WILL kill you if you screw up." But really, It WILL NOT necessarily kill you if you screw up. You can do a poor packing job, lose altitude awarenees, land off, screw up, and live. I'm brand new and expect to screw up, but hopefully the smart choices we make will outweigh the mistakes.

Yeah OK but that's just semantics. This sport CAN kill you even if you DONT screw up.
But you will most certaily increase your chances of staying alive if you screw up less.

Smart things I done, listen to people with more experience than me, who actually KNOW what they're taliking about. (Sometimes thats very hard to decern though)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

As such there is no need to rush, no need to push beyond limits you know in your heart you have. Listen to those around you, the old guys and the young ones too. The ones with more jumps than you and the ones with less. There's lots to learn and lots of time to learn it.

That's not fully true - some of us don't get to live into middle age, but won't find out until it's too late to make the best of it.

All you can do is intelligently balance those risks.

But really, It WILL NOT necessarily kill you if you screw up. You can do a poor packing job, lose altitude awarenees, land off, screw up, and live.

The smartest thing you can do is treat everything in this sport as if it will kill you. All the things you mention CAN kill you... if you're not careful it's only luck that keeps them from doing so. I prefer not to rely on luck if I can help it.

Stayed on the grounds in crappy winds - even though I desperately wanted air time.

Listened to my "elders" in the sport - you know the ones that have been around forever - and listen to their advice on how to grow "old" in the sport.

Respect the sport. Know my gear. Practice...practice...practice. Visualize. Don't get myself in over my head. Staying on a canopy that has me under a 1:1 wing loading and not rushing downsizing. Realizing the sky will always be there.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

1. Buy the following two books and read them:

a. Parachuting: The Skydiver's Handbook -- by Dan Poynter, Mike Turoff;

b. Mental Training for Skydiving and Life -- by John Derosalia;

2. Buy the DVD’s “Breakaway” and “Fly Like a Pro” and watch them over and over. Actually, you can get a 5 in 1 DVD set that includes these two videos and three others relating to packing, etc.

3. If possible, go spend time in a vertical wind tunnel and learn to fly like a pro. There is one in Orlando, Fl and another in Perris, CA. Expensive, but well worth it.

Todd

The smartest thing you can do is treat everything in this sport as if it will kill you.

Ladies and Gentelmen...We have a winner!

Respect that the ground does not care who you are, what you we trying to do, how nice you are, or how many times its worked before.

Thats not to say don't have fun and push the limits...

But do it in small steps and only one limit at a time.

This is the reason I have not jumped a Birdman suit. I have a Stiletto 107 at 1.7. Not the best canopy to jump a BM with I am told. My friends say I can borrow their canopy to jump it....So lets see new type of dive with new strange gear....No thanks.

The #1 smartest thing I have done in this sport is to accept that it will kill me. When I feel the risk of dying is not worth the thrill...I'll quit. To ignore the very real danger of death or minimize it....is foolish.

#2 is to listen to people with more *experience* than me. That means me listening to the guy with 200 FF jumps about FF since it is more than I have. That does *not* mean listening to him on everything such as spotting, canopy flight, ect.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Set my ego aside, listened to my coach (THANKS Nanette) ASKED every question I thought of to the point of annoying everyone at the DZ (Thanks everyone at SDC) and on this websight (thanks DZ.comers)

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

I've stayed on the ground numerous times because I just didn't feel right about jumping at that point and time. That is not to say that the feeling didn't pass and I went up later, but when I have that feeling in my stomach, my ass is sitting down on the ground.

One day I ignored the feeling because I wanted to just jump so badly. So what happens? I break my leg. It just taught me that I have to listen to myself and if I don't feel comfortable jumping that day, that the sky will always be there.
I'm so funny I crack my head open!

P.M.S. #102

Recognize the difference between luck and ability (I certainly don't always).

Ego gets you out the door, but humility is what gets you to the ground in one piece time and again.

I have, upon occasion, been willing to take credit for pulling off a close one or two, and appreciate the folks who took the time to point out that I had actually come a RCH shy of biting the dust.

The best advice I have had in this sport was when I was told that I had more than my share of luck, and if I kept pushing it, it would run out.

When I consider how many close calls I have had where I wasn't particularly scared, I figure if something frightens me, I am in for a near-death experience at the very least if I continue. All too often, when I stood down because I didn't like the conditions, one or more of the people who forged ahead became casualties.

Thus, the smarter things I have done include listening to the advice of people who don't want to see me hurt or killed.

Blue skies,

Winsor

But really, It WILL NOT necessarily kill you if you screw up.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Who, the hell, told you this? :S

You should stop talking and start asking, much much more! F.e. your instructors. Keep in touch with them. Closest possible touch. If it's your intent to go on with skydiving, quickly forget what you said and wrote. Listen only to experts. THAT might safe your life much more.

[:/]

dudeist skydiver # 3105

>But really, It WILL NOT necessarily kill you if you screw up.

That can be a bad assumption. Most things that seriously injure you or kill you are the result of a series of mistakes; however, there are a lot of people in the air who have already made about half a dozen mistakes and the last one is waiting there to kill them.

In a recent incident report, a jumper reported that he had a bad spot after opening a bit low, so he decided to land downwind to land closer to the DZ so he could make the next load. He swooped a ditch he saw, stuck out his foot to plow through some grass, and hit some concrete, breaking his foot. He believed his mistakes to be not verifying his landing area and not wearing high topped shoes. But those mistakes were (by my count) the 8th and 9th mistakes he made on that jump. Had he broken the chain earlier than that, the shoes/new landing area checkout would not have been an issue.

Part of the secret to not getting hurt is to break that chain early. For example, if you decide not to downsize fast AND you get canopy training, you've eliminated two mistakes right there. If you decline to jump on windy days and you learn to check your spot really well - another potential two mistakes NOT made. Then someday when you have to land out you will not start out with four mistakes; you'll be in good winds under a moderately loaded canopy that you can fly really well. And if you make a mistake on your setup and have to turn really low? You will likely survive because you know how to flat turn; you didn't make the mistake of jumping a canopy you cannot fly well.

There is always a single mistake that can kill you. Cutting away from a canopy collision at 80 feet is a single mistake that may well be fatal. But most fatalities in this sport are the result of a series of mistakes. The trick is to not start down that road.

I think people are misinterpreting what I meant. All I was trying to say is a mistake does not automatically equal death. And i realize that most fatalities in this sport result from a mistake, or a series of them. I have no intention of being careless or ignorant in my approach to this sport, I was simply wanting to read something that could give me some ideas on what to do(smart choices), rather than just read what not to do. Feel scared for me if you must, but realize with my numbers, I still have enough fear on my own.[:/]. Thanks for the ideas so far.

smartest thing I've ever done in this sport is making sure to do multiple checks on the 3 straps, 3 rings, 3 handles on the way up to altitude...and a visual check of those 3 on everyone else in the little C-182.

during this time i've caught a really poorly stuffed pc, a mis-routed 3 ring (on other ppl) and a mis-routed chest strap on myself.

BE THE BUDDHA!

1. Buy the following two books and read them:

a. Parachuting: The Skydiver's Handbook -- by Dan Poynter, Mike Turoff;

b. Mental Training for Skydiving and Life -- by John Derosalia;

If you want to buy 2 books, I'd rather advise
- Skydiver's Survival Guide
- The Parachute and its Pilot

2 absolute must-read. I have been ratther disapointed by the Skydiver's handbook after reading all the rave reviews here....

Keep in touch with them. Closest possible touch.

If she is cute....Can I touch her...I'm an instructor;)

"Trust me, I'm a skydiving instructor....I know what I am doing!":o
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Keep in touch with them. Closest possible touch.

If she is cute....Ca I touch her...Im an instructor;)

"Trust me, I'm a skydiving instructor....I know what I am doing!":o

----------------------------------------------------------------
Damn,

I forgot to add in my previous post to her:

"Never ever get in touch with Ron, the fake instructor! "

Ron, you are evil:S

:P

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Damn,

I forgot to add in my previous post to her:

"Never ever get in touch with Ron, the fake instructor! "

I am not a fake...I have a card that says I am an Instructor and everything.

Ron, you are evil

Not evil dear, male...I am maleB|