skydiver88

tandems...scarey???

I made a tandem when I had about 1700 jumps. It was kind of scary, and not what I would call pleasant in any way. I did another one shortly thereafter, and it was a little better in some ways, but I doubt I'd ever do one again. They just aren't fun.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Very interesting! I've done one tandem, and will be doing another in a couple of weeks just for giggles. Then I'm planning AFF for probably January.

I would have to say the first tandem was a pretty life altering experience, and I'd imagine most people are introduced to the sport this way.

I'll have to go back and compare the two!

Wait until you find out how many experienced divers won't get into that front tandem harness ... because it IS scary!

And how many experienced jumpers who do go on the front, and proceed to get into an argument with the person on the back about how to fly the parachute!:D
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Anybody at Chambersburg can testify that the only thing that makes me shut up is to strap me into a tandem harness. It scares the living crap out of me to do a tandem.... and I've done probably 10 now as a licensed jumper (to help others get their ratings or cross train).

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

my first three skydives were as a tandem passanger. I've made about 800 jumps since then and ridden as a tandem passanger about 4 or 5 more times to help my friends get ratings.
I just went through the Tandem rating course this weekend. You might think that riding on the front is scary. I beg to differ. Being TM is what can be scary.

Wait until you find out how many experienced divers won't get into that front tandem harness ... because it IS scary!

And how many experienced jumpers who do go on the front, and proceed to get into an argument with the person on the back about how to fly the parachute!:D

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ME!
My alibi was that we were chasing a drogue that had accidentally disconnected from another tandem on the same load.

LOL!!!!!! Damn, it has nothing to do with the faith in the tandem instructor.... 3 of mine were with my husband and there's no one I could ever possibly trust more. It's about having 100s of jumps behind you, then having to get in a jump plane, intending to jump, with no parachute on your own back! :)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I did four tandems initially--some while going through AFF, but the winds were too high for students and I desperately needed to jump. At that point, I had confidence in myself, by my instructor was far more skillfull than I, so I trusted him. But I rode front again a few months ago, again four times, to help two friends get ratings:

it felt scary not having my own rig,

it felt a tad scary to jump with tyro tandem instructors,

it felt fun when (upon request) I touched my toes out the door to add a bit of challenge to the test,

it felt pretty awesome to have two gorgeous men fasten me tightly to themselves and jump, and then land us both safely. That's just still kinda hot.

Yeah, so I'll ride front whenevers--if the instructor's cute, I trust his skill level, and it's free to me. (Who can turn down a cheap thrill and a free jump? Good times).
Let's go to candy mountain.