4wayFly

Does the USPA hate US skydivers?

Ok, so can anyone tell me why in the latest issue of Parachutist, which covers USPA Nationals, at which AIRSPEED MADE A CLEAN SWEEP of 4-way (highest average ever), 8-way, 10-way and 16-way, THERE IS NOT ONE PHOTO OF AIRSPEED? Not in the air, not collecting medals, nothing.

To the disinterested observer, you have to admit, it looks a bit odd.

And why, on the COVER of the 2008 USPA calendar, there is a PHOTO OF THE FRENCH 8-WAY TEAM?

I mean, come on, are we mean to believe there are no decent photos of US teams which could take that slot? I find it insulting, to be honest.

Unless I'm missing something.

(I apologise as I posted this in The Bonfire before realizing that's for non-skydiving stuff, I think it would be better posted here, sorry for messing up.)

And why, on the COVER of the 2008 USPA calendar, there is a PHOTO OF THE FRENCH 8-WAY TEAM?

Perhaps the French 8 way are USPA members as well?:)
Dozens of photos are submitted each year and are chosen for appeal.

Have you sent a letter to the editor of USPA magazine expressing your opinion?

Airspeed has been featured MANY times in the magazines and on the covers. Maybe they decided to give a different team some exposure...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Dozens of photos are submitted each year and are chosen for appeal.

Of those dozens, do you think there could be a few that are both appealing and representative of the UNITED STATES Parachute Association?

Mike is based at Skydive Az as you know - you think he has a couple pics US teams/ jumpers anywhere? :S It's just an 8-way pic after all - nothing really mind-blowingly special about it, although it's very nice.

You think the French put a picture of Airspeed in their calendar? [:/] Not to mention that the French have been arch-rivals of the US teams for years and the 8-way took gold off the US in Gera 2006. What a way for the USPA to treat its representatives.

And I am still not getting how Airspeed can make a CLEAN SWEEP at Nationals and not even make ONE PIC in Parachutist. Do you know how rare a clean sweep is? And to come back from a 40 in 10-way to take gold has never even been done before.

The standard of skydiving excellence in this country is incredible, and the people achieving these great things are all but ignored by their own association.

I will write to the editor, I hope others do, too.

Airspeed has been featured MANY times in the magazines and on the covers. Maybe they decided to give a different team some exposure...

As far as the calendar cover goes...Airspeed is not the only US team - I would be happy to see any other team or US skydiver on the cover, but please, why feature a FRENCH team? YOU COULD EVEN FEATURE AN INDIVIDUAL, but at least celebrate our OWN country before our greatest global RW rivals.

It's incredibly disrespectful to teams who dedicate their lives to the sport and representing their country, and it disrespects all US jumpers.

ONE PIC in the Mag noting the clean sweep - just a little one. This is a selection year! Not even one.

Then again if memory serves (correct me if I'm wrong) I believe the USPA did the same thing when Airspeed WON the World Meet in 2001; they put the French team on the cover of Parachutist.

Do you think other nations or other sports do this?

you think he has a couple pics US teams/ jumpers anywhere

Yes and I know they were submitted because he submitted some of me as well as others.
McGowan has zero control of what they chose and to imply that he didn't send any of US jumpers is.. I would think insulting.

You think the French put a picture of Airspeed in their calendar?

Actually they have printed several photos of Airspeed and the French 8-way in Para-Mag. The teams are competitors, but they are not enemies;)
You may even find a photo or two of them jumping all together;)

I will write to the editor, I hope others do, too.

Good for you! :)

Yes and I know they were submitted because he submitted some of me as well as others.
McGowan has zero control of what they chose and to imply that he didn't send any of US jumpers is.. I would think insulting.

I wasn't implying that, sorry if it sounded like I was. I meant to imply that Mike is bound to have submitted many photos of US jumpers and teams and the USPA chose the French over them, which I think is bad form.

Actually they have printed several photos of Airspeed and the French 8-way in Para-Mag. The teams are competitors, but they are not enemies

In Paramag is one thing. On the cover of the USPA calendar is quite another.

Ok, so can anyone tell me why in the latest issue of Parachutist, which covers USPA Nationals, at which AIRSPEED MADE A CLEAN SWEEP of 4-way (highest average ever), 8-way, 10-way and 16-way, THERE IS NOT ONE PHOTO OF AIRSPEED? Not in the air, not collecting medals, nothing.

What about the shot inside the back cover? (known as the photo-finish slot). Nice pic of the team over SDC turning points with the camera flyer in frame.

Foggy
D21109

Agreed, that is a nice pic, just a shame nothing included as part of the official write up of Nationals as a news event. Photos of the winners very much pertain to the news story, a big part of which is that Airspeed won four categories.

A clean sweep is a huge deal, I think it's only been accomplished twice before.

Photo selection has been a point of contention with quite a few members over the years (that I've been around at least). Basically the major gripes are that they choose the same photographers time and again or they choose less than desirable shots from random photographers. How many times have you seen a picture of something in parachutist then seen another picture here or elsewhere later that was a better picture? Take the time to ask the photographer to find out if they submitted their picture to parachutist. Many times they have, but it was ignored. Every time I've e-mailed the USPA about it I've received the standard canned answer that they can only publish what is submitted, etc.

All in all if I could cancel the magazine subscription as part of my membership, I would. I see better pictures and get better information about the going ons around the sport here. I don't have to deal with a cheesy layout with bad pictures on the cover and in the center fold. So unfortunately Parachutist has been relegated to the guest bathroom in my house.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Instead of complaining so much, why don't you just sent USPA some pictures? I have, and they've been published. Maybe they have slim pickins. I know for a fact those guys work long and hard hours over there to prepare that magazine each month. I think they are doing a fantastic job.

Plus, I'm sure if you email them some suggestions/constructive criticism they would be very responsive to you. But who wants to be responsive to bitching like this?

Keep up the good work USPA! Thanks for everything!

Plus, I'm sure if you email them some suggestions/constructive criticism they would be very responsive to you. But who wants to be responsive to bitching like this?

As said I plan to write to them.

I don't think it's unacceptable to post for discussion on a public skydiving forum also, though. It is a more effective medium for debate than the magazine.

As said I plan to write to them.

I don't think it's unacceptable to post for discussion on a public skydiving forum also, though. It is a more effective medium for debate than the magazine.

It did not come off as a "discussion", it came off as an accusation or attack. Try to be a little more positive... it's healthier.

It did not come off as a "discussion", it came off as an accusation or attack. Try to be a little more positive... it's healthier.

Admittedly, it's a controversial thread title to attract attention to what I believe is an important discussion. Maybe I broached the subject badly.

But look, if you like having a photo of the French team on the cover of the United States' association's calendar, that's great. I just don't think it's very healthy or positive for the sport of US skydiving, but that's just my opinion :S

Admittedly, it's a controversial thread title to attract attention to what I believe is an important discussion. Maybe I broached the subject badly.

But look, if you like having a photo of the French team on the cover of the United States' association's calendar, that's great. I just don't think it's very healthy or positive for the sport of US skydiving, but that's just my opinion :S

Wow, I have actually never thought of skydiving in terms of US skydiving before. Weird. I'm okay with having the French team be on the cover. There are French dropzones that are group members of the USPA. They pay for their subscriptions too. Should they not be featured in the magazine????