upndownshop

People, watch out for each other! Please

If you are a solo jumper, high or low altitude Hop N Pop....make sure people know what you are doing. Assign someone to make sure you return. Make sure we check in with each other!! Please, you might save a life some day, or yours might be saved!

Tough few years.....!!! I'm tired......:(

While this is good, common sense advice . . .

Has there been a rash of people femuring, nobody noticing and the person being left out in a field for a few hours?

What did I miss?

You are correct about the swoopers, I apologize for leaving them out.

This is what you missed I am sad to sayhttp://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3009967#3009967
Another friend:(

no its not the first time and probably not the last but.......maybe we can save a few...

While this is good, common sense advice . . .

Has there been a rash of people femuring, nobody noticing and the person being left out in a field for a few hours?

What did I miss?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5289782.html

Few hours is one thing, a couple days is another! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

What I don't understand about that particular case is . . . isn't it standard proceedure for night jumps to have all individuals check back in after the jump?

Edited to add;

Of course, I only assume certain things because of what is available for me to read. I might be off because of the lack of facts published to date.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

So true ... I was walking back from an out landing at a recent boogie, more than a little annoyed that no one had come out to find me or even seemed to notice where I was; I was fine ... but it took me quite a while to disentangle my canopy from the tall grass I'd landed in, take my rig off, get over a barbed wire fence and walk back to the DZ. Some help would have been nice, though I wasn't injured so I was able to take care of myself.

I felt a lot better when someone noticed me walking in, realized what had happened, asked if I'd done a solo (I hadn't - I was on a 8-or 10-way, I think) and immediately went to the PA and reminded everyone to keep an eye on everyone on their jump. I know when I had an out landing under a reserve this summer (into a fenced-in, restricted facility) it made me feel a lot less isolated to see the Otter circling above me ... knowing that someone knew where I was and that I was okay was a good thing.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

This is such a heart-wrenching tragedy. Making it to the ground but not making it out alive because no one came looking for you is a terrible thing.

But all I've seen on video is a lawyer from the facility speaking about it. Unless that lawyer was on the jump, what he has to say is completely irrelevant.

That failure has to be shared by everyone that was there. But I think all of us have been guilty of not looking for each person after a jump - thinking that folks better acquainted with the person knew their whereabouts.

Each life is infinitely precious, and in such a terribly small community compared to the rest of the world, it's imperative that we look out for one another -

A lesson to all -

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

While this is tragic and there is a lesson to be learned here, there is no indication he would have survived even if he landed right in front of everyone.

I can name many dropzones and boogies that this could happen at so I would suggest everyone to stay off of the high horse.

This post not aimed at LuvToFly

While this is tragic and there is a lesson to be learned here, there is no indication he would have survived even if he landed right in front of everyone.

I can name many dropzones and boogies that this could happen at so I would suggest everyone to stay off of the high horse.

This post not aimed at LuvToFly

No offense taken -

Just think it's imperative that we don't all get into the mindset that things are always someone else's job. I have been guilty of it myself, and I know how easy it is to happen -

This is such a heart-wrenching tragedy. Making it to the ground but not making it out alive because no one came looking for you is a terrible thing.

But all I've seen on video is a lawyer from the facility speaking about it. Unless that lawyer was on the jump, what he has to say is completely irrelevant.

That failure has to be shared by everyone that was there. But I think all of us have been guilty of not looking for each person after a jump - thinking that folks better acquainted with the person knew their whereabouts.

Each life is infinitely precious, and in such a terribly small community compared to the rest of the world, it's imperative that we look out for one another -

A lesson to all -

The lawyer has been on many jumps, and lost many other friends; I think the fact that he is a lawyer is mostly irrelevant...

The lawyer has been on many jumps, and lost many other friends; I think the fact that he is a lawyer is mostly irrelevant...

The issue expressed was not what he did for a living, but unfortunately in our litigious society it can come off as a pre-defense response by the DZ when the person being interviewed is a lawyer - and even more so if the person was not immediately involved in the jump.

As much as we'd like to think that the general public has the ability to separate that out, image is extremely important in this regard.