ElJosh

Civilian jumps can earn a Parachutist Badge???

Has anyone heard of someone getting jump wings awarded via civilian sport jumping? I had one of my fellow sergeants tell me and a few of my soldiers that you could earn the Parachutist Badge because of our sport jumping. I think that he doesn’t know what he is talking about but I didn’t want to correct him without having more knowledge about it. Has anyone ever heard about this? The only thing I could do is look up the AR on it and from what I’ve read I think this sergeant’s story is BS. From what I can read it looks like it wouldn’t count, which is what I would think. I mean jumping a round is completely different from jumping a ram-air.
Here is the AR:
Army Regulation 600–8–22

8–11. Parachutist badges
a. Three degrees of badges are authorized for award: Parachutist Badge, Senior Parachutist Badge, and Master
Parachutist Badge.
b. Eligibility criteria for each badge as set forth in paragraphs 8–12, 8–13, and 8–14.
c. Special eligibility for awards will be determined from the DA Form 1307 (Individual Jump Record) in the field
201 file section of the personnel records jacket. Each entry on this form will include pay period covered and initials of the personnel officer; the entry will be made only from a DA Form 1306 (Statement of Jump and Loading Manifest)completed by an officer or jumpmaster.
d. Jumps with civilian parachute clubs will not be counted in the number of total jumps required for each badge.
e. Award of the basic Parachutist Badge or advanced parachutist badges awarded by other U.S. Services may onlybe awarded if the Soldier meets the Army criteria for the badge.
DS #149
Yes I only have 3 jumps...it's the magic number dude.

Yeah that is what I was thinking too but I didn't want to call bs on his story. There is a small spread between the ranks of E-5 to E-8. He is a Master SGT and I'm just a SGT. I think I like my knees to much to go airborne. Besides that I like the term fun jump over the idea of a mandatory jump.
~El Josh AKA Ruby
DS #149

Yeah, I did Airborne school first and it's both a completely different method of jumping from an airplane and a completely different way of teaching a person to jump from an airplane. I enjoyed Airborne school and my jumps there, but looking back on it and comparing it to my AFF course, I realize that the Army did their very best to suck all of the fun out of jumping. Also, I do enjoy my knees continuing to work, so I don't think I'll be volunteering for an Airborne unit anytime soon.

I realize that the Army did their very best to suck all of the fun out of jumping.

My son (former 82nd Abn.) said the same thing.

Also, I do enjoy my knees continuing to work, so I don't think I'll be volunteering for an Airborne unit anytime soon.

My son's knees are indeed in bad shape.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I was given a nice set of metal Israeli wings a few years ago (as a civilian) after doing a demo jump to their militay - nice bunch of folks tooB| - I'm right proud of those wings too.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

>I enjoyed Airborne school and my jumps there, but looking back on it and
>comparing it to my AFF course, I realize that the Army did their very best
>to suck all of the fun out of jumping.

Interestingly, the Navy's freefall course is now nearly identical to civilian AFF - and the Army and Air Force are looking into the same sort of certification program. So the times may be a' changin.

Interestingly, the Navy's freefall course is now nearly identical to civilian AFF - and the Army and Air Force are looking into the same sort of certification program. So the times may be a' changin.

Apples and Oranges. Basic airborne school(where one earns the parachutist badge) is and will for the foreseeable future always be under a round parachute and with the exception of modernized round canopies, will continue to run the way it has since it's inception.

What you are referring to is the basic HALO program which is indeed undergoing some changes in the program of instruction and teaching methodology but is far from being an AFF course at this point.....unless the AFF program adds rucksacks, night jumps and O2 use;) However, I don't think we will see the Army HALO program (which is the proponent for this training), change its program as drastically as the Navy course any time soon.

Regardless of the type of canopy/training, both have had the fun excised from them.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Apples and Oranges. Basic airborne school(where one earns the parachutist badge) is and will for the foreseeable future always be under a round parachute and with the exception of modernized round canopies, will continue to run the way it has since it's inception.

What you are referring to is the basic HALO program which is indeed undergoing some changes in the program of instruction and teaching methodology but is far from being an AFF course at this point.....unless the AFF program adds rucksacks, night jumps and O2 use;) However, I don't think we will see the Army HALO program (which is the proponent for this training), change its program as drastically as the Navy course any time soon.

Regardless of the type of canopy/training, both have had the fun excised from them.

Unless you training with ratboy....:D

but back on topic - what about foreign jump wings?
They tried to get me out to Federal Eagle and said I could get German wings.

Sounded good but I'm still grounded (and apparently they were to from the weather).
Scars remind us that the past is real

Hey Ruby the answer is no! Willie can find you a round tho and I'll cut up your pan and make you some silver wings and we can have a pinning ceremony just for you.

That way you don't have to call BS and you get a set of wings, albiet fake ones.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

[reply
but back on topic - what about foreign jump wings?
They tried to get me out to Federal Eagle and said I could get German wings.

You can get your Dutch wings at Texel. The course costs some 300 euro and consists of training and 5 SL jumps from an AN-2, or if the brits are there you may even get it from a DC-3. Just like it was during market garden, except getting shot at:D

You have to prove that you are active serviceman though.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Dutch military jumpers *can* earn their wings by training at civilian centres.

They have to complete the ground course, obviously, and make five static-line jumps to qualify.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Hey Ruby the answer is no! Willie can find you a round tho and I'll cut up your pan and make you some silver wings and we can have a pinning ceremony just for you.

That way you don't have to call BS and you get a set of wings, albiet fake ones.

I like your style Tat-her!;)
~El Josh AKA Ruby
DS #149

I've been through that training and what a blast. You actually have two options to graduate with the same wings.

1) rounds
2) RAPS

The great thing about the RAPS is higher winds....I've done both and the rounds sure sit on the ground a lot more. Good school (run just like a civ. school) and great staff. I recomend it to any active duty who wants to get some military wings. Of course, you can only wear them on your messdress (unless your one of us lucky ones and went TDY to the school :P )

If anyone has any other questions about the school PM me...great times and I usually go back for a week a year to just fun jump.

Billy

SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Of course, you can only wear them on your messdress (unless your one of us lucky ones and went TDY to the school :P )

If anyone has any other questions about the school PM me...great times and I usually go back for a week a year to just fun jump.

Billy

That doesn't make sense. If you are speaking about the US Army then I assume that you are refering our dress blues. I've been in 9 years now and "wings" are/wore worn on the BDU, DCU and the new ACU uniform. The only change has been the color and on the ACU the badge must be pinned on.

Also what is RAPS?

Edit:I just looked up RAPS. Billy is refering to the british system.
DS #149

Sorry,

I'm in the AF so we call are "formal wear" a mess dress and thats the only uniform we can wear foreign jump wings on unless stationed in the country we recieved them (and were tdy) when we attended the class....though I do wear mine on my service dress as well. From my understanding as long as you have your commands commanders approval (geez thats a long title) its okay.

RAPS is jumping squares in NL. Sorry, been jumping in the UK and NL for past four years and some of the terminology stuck.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In this century, Canadian Air Force Search and Rescue Technicians adopted training methods and certification methods from the Canadian Sports Parachuting Association. Most of the instructors at the CSAR School hold CSPA Coach ratings, while the Chief Instructor is a CSPA Course Conductor. Their primary motivation was the reduced cost of doing refresher training out of civilian Cessnas instead of military Buffalos and Hercules.

In an ironic twist, I was never allowed to jump from Buffalos while in uniform, but a mere 18 years after retirement, was asked to assist some CSAR Instructors complete their CSPA Coach ratings. Part of that process included doing 6 jumps from a Buffalo!
Ironic!

It is easy for any member of the Canadian Armed Forces to convert his civilian A Certificate into a set of military jump wings. All he/she has to do is convince his/her commanding officer to allow him/her to attend Skyhawks training camp. A mere three weeks later he/she will emerge with genuine Canadian Army Basic Paratrooper Wings (red maple leaf).
All he/she has to do at the Canadian Army Parachute School is two weeks of push-ups followed by two days of jumping (typically five or six static-line jumps with ruck sack, rifle and snowshoes).