grannyinthesky

Getting in shape

2 or 3 days a week without sleep, cold fast food & WAY too much booze...that's what I owe to the wonderful shape I'm in!;)

I thought the recommended skydiving diet was Snickers and Mountain Dew. Sugar and caffiene is the nectar of the Gods.
"T'was ever thus."

I realized the exuberant, high-spirited young people I had met at the drop zone that day were no longer with us and that the plane I had jumped from was the plane they had gone down in (the group from Washington). It was a very sobering moment, but their love of life and living had infected me that day. They were so eager. I am grateful for my brief encounter with them.

That is such a beautiful thing to say. It is also a wonderful testament to those who are gone, that you are following in their footsteps.

I am an almost 65-year-old skydiver, three weeks away from Medicare, and I made 6 jumps this weekkend. I also started late, not as late as you are, but I have made more than 1,000 jumps since I turned 57.

So look at it this way: even though you started late, you still have lots of jumps to look forward to, as long as you keep current, find good gear and keep it well maintained, stay on the larger canopy sizes so that you have lots of room for error, and listen to your mentors.

It always makes me happy to hear stories like yours. It makes me feel not so alone when I'm out at the DZ seeing all the young vibrant people. But skydiving makes me forget that I'm not one of them. This weekend I heard an "elderly" grey-haired man in the airplane waxing philosophically about this tandem jump that had been given to him for his 48th birthday! (That's the age I was when I started.) He is almost as old as my son would have been, if he were alive. Talk about feeling grateful! And old!

DJan

Thanks for your post. It's good to hear that I have time to do a lot of jumping. I hope someday to be able to do photography in the air and from what I've read, that takes a lot of jumping. There are pictures in my head that are begging to be taken, so I guess patience is in order. If I can just get through the next two weeks until I can get started!
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Please remember that we were all born with the inbred ability to fall. The stretching advice is sound, and your normal workouts are way above the curve for most of us. Get some jumps under your belt and them concentrate on the aches, etc. For myself, whenever the urge to excercise strikes me, I lay down and drink alcohol (used to smoke also) and wait until the urge passes.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"