grannyinthesky

Getting in shape

I fell in love with skydiving when I did my first tandem jump last month. I really didn't know much about what it was all about, but as I got to know more, I realized there's a whole lot of cool stuff to learn and do. Being a little, hell, a lot older, than the usual beginning skydiver, I figure there are probably things I can start doing now to be in reasonable shape physically. I start ground school and jumping in two weeks and want to get off to a good start. So, I figured I'd ask those who know for some advice. What can I be doing now (and later) to get my old bones ready? Thanks
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Maybe some easy stretching exercises would be good preventive maintenance but it's really not what you'd call a "physically demanding" sport. It can certainly become that way but for now, I'd go easy on the physical training. You're more likely to injure yourself exercising, if it hasn't been a routine thing.
"T'was ever thus."

I can't say that theres much for skydiving you can do, but I will say that the normal recommended activities are always healthful!!

Particularly of note would be some good walking/jogging... I have no idea what shape you are in, or what you specific age and health condition is, but something to get you're heart rate up and keep it there is always good. You will probably get a seriously increased heart rate with you're jumping, and so you want to make sure that you're body is good and used to that.

Also, if you don't have a strong lower back you can get some soreness from arching, especially when practicing on a creeper... this kind of thing is best worked out with a proffessional trainer who can evaluate you individually. Bent over dumbbell rows are great for that, but can also be risky depending on you're overall strength.

Glad to hear you're getting into this and all excited about it!!!

I start ground school and jumping in two weeks and want to get off to a good start. So, I figured I'd ask those who know for some advice. What can I be doing now (and later) to get my old bones ready? Thanks

You can't improve your fitness in two weeks, but the stretching suggestion will help you when you're stuffed into the crowded plane and have to go 20 minutes (or more) in a weird body position.

In the longer sense, less weight is better for the bones.

Right now I run 2-3 miles at least 3 times a week and I do an exercise class 2 days and I play on an intramural volleyball team. I have lost 80 pounds in the last two years and probably 130 pounds from my highest weight. I have really been working on the fitness aspect too. I''m 57, but I think my brain got stuck in the 20's.

POPS #10490

So, I figured I'd ask those who know for some advice. What can I be doing now (and later) to get my old bones ready? Thanks

If you're running, doing some lifting, and you've lost 80 lbs at 57, I think you're probably in better shape than a lot of jumpers in their 20's:P. That said, I think stretching is the most important thing you can do because if you take a tumble on landing you're less likley to just bounce back from it like us young'uns do.

Aside from that, if you're looking for something new, check out www.crossfit.com. After 3 years of "normal" lifting/running workouts with moderate success, I've been on crossfit for 6 weeks and I've already seen tremendous changes in practical strength, endurance, and flexibility (even though I'm horrible about stretching). Their full-up program is pretty hard-core, but they have excellent suggestions for scaling it back as far as neccessary for those who aren't up to it... to quote them "the needs of the olympic athlete and your grandmother differ in extent, not type".
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Speaking as a woman in her 50's, you're doing great, but the advice about stretching is good. But do it all the time, not just for skydiving.

You probably do before running. But the core stretches (forward, back, and twisting your core gently and far) are the ones that will buy you the most in skydiving.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Aerobics and stretching are great ideas - but if you are healthy enough, don't forget to work in some weight training. In particular, for women, integrating weight training for upper body can be a valuable tool in your endeavor.

In an emergency situation such as a tight unintentional spin before cut-away, you will thank your lucky stars that you have spent some time increasing your upper body strength.

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

I figured out pretty fast that this was a sport I could fall for:|

It does grab hold of ya! B|:)
I decided very early I wouldn't be one of those people that falls into the whole skydiving 'life style' thing...:$

I figured I'd jump for 50 years then quit. :):ph34r:

Better than 1/2 there. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I figured out pretty fast that this was a sport I could fall for:|

It does grab hold of ya! B|:)
I decided very early I wouldn't be one of those people that falls into the whole skydiving 'life style' thing...:$

I figured I'd jump for 50 years then quit. :):ph34r:

Better than 1/2 there. ;)

that sounds like a really good plan right there..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Well, now I know what to do with my spare time! I really appreciate the advice. I know I'll need to work hard to get where I want to be and that it would have been easier 30 years ago. But then I couldn't have afforded it, not to mention I could never have done the tandem jump that got me started with what I used to weigh. Thanks

POPS #10490

Well, I may not have 50 years for jumping left to me, but I'm sure gonna make the most of what I have. That was brought home to me the day after that first tandem jump when I realized the exuberant, high-spirited young people I had met at the drop zone that day were no longer with us and that the plane I had jumped from was the plane they had gone down in (the group from Washington). It was a very sobering moment, but their love of life and living had infected me that day. They were so eager. I am grateful for my brief encounter with them.

POPS #10490

Find and read some books on sport psychology.
Learning about, your ideal performance state, using visualisation and positive thought is the best way to get the mosst out of your jumps and will help you with your fitness routine as well.
Yoga looks to be ideal for skydiving too. Strengthening, stretching and bodily awareness training.
Personally though, the only exercise i do is packing loads of tandem rigs every day!
And the only visualisation i do involves chicks.:ph34r: