ChasingBlueSky

What can we do about Skyride?

At least the directions admit that it is at ASC.

Well, of course! They know they can't fool the licensed skydivers so why lie? :|

That bit about having a master rigger, when none is shown in the staff listings is a lie though...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Is anyone on the staff of the Parachute Place a Master Rigger?

it said master rigger the other day, now it say's senior.

It still says Master rigger in the description... I checked a minute ago... :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Speaking of the countersuit, anyone else see

http://www.uspa.org/news/index.htm

USPA has been named in a lawsuit filed by the owners of 1-800-Skyride, who primarily allege that USPA violated sections of the Sherman Antitrust Act. USPA has retained counsel and intends to vigorously defend against these claims, which are without merit.

Speaking of the countersuit, anyone else see

http://www.uspa.org/news/index.htm

USPA has been named in a lawsuit filed by the owners of 1-800-Skyride, who primarily allege that USPA violated sections of the Sherman Antitrust Act. USPA has retained counsel and intends to vigorously defend against these claims, which are without merit.

http://www.usconstitution.com/ShermanAntiTrustAct.htm

My .02
"Remember to be nice to people on your way up cause you meet them on your way down." Jimmy D.

Sherman Antitrust Act, basic federal enactment regulating the operations of corporate trusts, passed by the U.S. Congress in July 1890, through the efforts of Senator John Sherman of Ohio. The act declared illegal every contract, combination in the form of trust or otherwise, or conspiracy, in restraint of trade or commerce among the several States, or with foreign nations. Criminal penalties were provided for violators of the law, and aggrieved persons were entitled to recover three times the amount of losses suffered as a result of the violation. The Sherman Act has been amended and supplemented by several subsequent enactments. Most notable among these enactments was the Clayton Antitrust Act of 1914.

can someone explain this to me in english?:S

Balderdash!! The USPA is no different than the Boy Scouts. They can choose whom ever they want as members.
Loss of membership doesn't keep skyride from selling certificates, nor flying their planes. So restricting their trade...ummm right.
The city or county (depending on if it municipal) however can keep Skyride,ASC,Casc inc etc. from flying if there are certain conditions that must be met in order to keep their lease valid.
If the airport itself has received federal grant money well that would open up another issue as well.
Sherman Antitrust...that's just beyond silly.

Balderdash!! The USPA is no different than the Boy Scouts. They can choose whom ever they want as members.
Loss of membership doesn't keep skyride from selling certificates, nor flying their planes. So restricting their trade...ummm right.
The city or county (depending on if it municipal) however can keep Skyride,ASC,Casc inc etc. from flying if there are certain conditions that must be met in order to keep their lease valid.
If the airport itself has received federal grant money well that would open up another issue as well.
Sherman Antitrust...that's just beyond silly.

I predict that they will get their asses laughed right out of court... :|

I see this tactic all the time. Skyride is simply attempting to intimidate USPA into reversing stance on its group membership ruling against Skyride. It’s very common for defendants in intellectual property cases to counterclaim on antitrust grounds. In fact, there’s a two-volume treatise specifically about the interplay called “Antitrust and Intellectual Property Law” which was written by former boss and mentor, Bill Holmes.

Still, assuming Skyride has skillful lawyers, it can force USPA to run up a hefty low-tens of thousands legal tab before discovery even commences. (Greenberg Traurig, defendants’ counsel in the Arizona case, can be highly competent litigators depending on which of their offices is handling a matter.) A decent plaintiffs lawyer should be able to survive a motion to dismiss solely by arguing USPA’s position in the relevant market and some favorable facts that are out there somewhere, so you can expect the case to survive through discovery, increasing USPA’s expense well into the tens of thousands, especially if it reaches the stage of actively involving expert economists, who cost a lot more than lawyers and law firms.

Would somebody please direct me to the federal court where the antitrust suit was filed? I’ll pull down copies of the pleadings and forward them to the powers for public viewing if you do.

Blutarsky 2008. No Prisoners!

The complaint as a .pdf is here in my public folder. The file is called "SkyrideComplaint.pdf". You can download it by clicking the little download arrow next to it.

I've put the ASC countersuit complaint into the same place (here). You can download that from there, as well. It's called "ASCCounterComplaint.pdf."

It's interesting that there are several things in the ASC complaint that are drawn from this thread, showing "evidence" that the skydiving community is conspiring against ASC to maintain some kind of "monopoly."
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

showing "evidence" that the skydiving community is conspiring against ASC to maintain some kind of "monopoly."

Funny that - that's the one thing here that people are actually defending. ie that it may not be nice, but they are fully entitled to run a very effective marketing scheme monopolizing the marketplace... it's just the lying and steeling that actually attracts the real scorn.

these skyride assholes have been gathering information from this thread, and are using it in evidence during their counter-suit. check out the .pdf file

in fact about half that suit comes from this thread. its literally refered to dozens of times.

they are especially happy about quoting Makeithappen since they claim its the national director of uspa. But can they actually use it as evidence when in fact it could be anyone just faking?

MB 3528, RB 1182

Monopoly claims can be diverted fairly easily with examples like Lodi. It thrives despite being in the vicinity of 6 or 7 USPA DZs. Skyride's alternate skydiving organization, despite being fictional, may also look a bit funny given this claim.

Curiously both of the individuals named themselves on the suit. Should they lose badly and be ordered to pay costs, bankrupcy of the Skyride corporation won't shield them.

I love the incomplete URLs used for citations. Wonder if the USPA can get summary judgement just by submitting a copy of the Eloy suit. (probably not, but one can dream). It all reminds me of the Latrell Spreewell suits against the NBA. If trial happens, I'm eager to see them argue that they provide jumps at a cheaper price to customers.

If trial happens, I'm eager to see them argue that they provide jumps at a cheaper price to customers.

Well, they said they're cheaper in "many" areas, and they'll probably be able to find one or two dropzones in the country that charges more for tandems than they do.

chriswelker, Makethappen, diablopilot, and hooknswoop, FYI, you are mentioned on their countercomplaint.