ChasingBlueSky

What can we do about Skyride?

USPA printed that

No, it was in Skydiving magazine.[/reply

Hi Triple7

Me bad:$ Thanks for the clarification.

Still don't agree with the author's conclusion. There's only a finite number of Tandem riders.

By skyrides "agressive" advertising, questionable marketing, and business model they are scamming potential local tandem riders to drive past the local DZ to one of their contracted DZ's sometimes located hundreds of miles away.

It took the gov't decades to react to the abuses from the telemarketing industry that affected the whole country. Skyride will be around for a long time befor/if the govt takes any action.

"Complain to the BBB" :D:D:D:D

R.I.P.

Still don't agree with the author's conclusion. There's only a finite number of Tandem riders.

By skyrides "agressive" advertising, questionable marketing, and business model they are scamming potential local tandem riders to drive past the local DZ to one of their contracted DZ's sometimes located hundreds of miles away.

Hah, finite number of tandem riders? Like there are a finite number of amusement park goers too right? So Six Flags shouldn't agressively advertise because it's only stealing well deserved business from Disney World, right?? I think by now you should realize how ridiculous what you were saying is.

Ninja, I party agree with you..

Their “Aggressive Advertising” may actually bring more people in, But I am sure they Turn Off a MUCH greater number when those people realize they have been mislead and overcharged.
The end result is a net loss to the sport.

But to take your analogy one step further..
Six Flags don’t use Pictures of Mickey in their Ads. Also Six Flags is pretty honest about where they are located (Six Flags over Georgia is actually in Georgia).

Now maybe Six Flags can follow the ASC/Skyride marketing approach and create web sites for Six Flags over North Dakota, over Florida, over Alaska and every other state in the country.
Use pictures from Disney, MGM and Universal and then only AFTER they sell them their NON_REFUNDABLE ticket, tell the customer that they need to drive to Georgia or Texas to use their Ticket.

The bottom line is that they are Dishonest. They Lie, Cheat and Steal as documented over and over again in this thread.

Hah, finite number of tandem riders? Like there are a finite number of amusement park goers too right? So Six Flags shouldn't agressively advertise because it's only stealing well deserved business from Disney World, right?? I think by now you should realize how ridiculous what you were saying is.

Hi NinjaSwooper

Ok your correct, I'm wrong:)
R.i.P.

I wonder why we don't hear from many people who remained pissed off after having done their tandem whether through skyride or otherwise... Oh wait, no I don't. It's because they're all f&cking ecstatic when there feet touch the ground again. Rain checks, no refunds and 4 hour drives matter not when they have just been given the best ride of their lives (having awesome facilities, aircraft, gear, and instructors is only icing on the cake).

I recently spoke with a young couple who are having a baby. Wife bought hubbie his first skydive it seems through Skyride no doubt... Then they thought they'd check out a DZ a bit closer (in the same state they live in even). First jump at ASC + trip to check out the local place = wife won't let hubbie jump anywhere but ASC, despite the drive.

But I'm rambling now... The point is, Skyride deals with mostly first time jumpers, yet all the people screeching about how horrible it is are experienced jumpers who I suppose feel that their wallets would be much thicker if it weren't for skyride... This may or may not be true, but to use another analogy from the business world, does pepsi just sit around and whine when coke outsells them, hoping maybe one day a legal injunction will put them in the number 1 spot? No, they go out and aggressively advertise...

You people all want to do something about skyride? Go out and aggressively promote your sport. Tell your DZO to get off his lazy ass and do the same thing. That's the only way you'll ever put a dent in skyride, and who knows, we might just find that the number of tandem riders is not finite and there really is enough of this pie to go around.

I wonder why we don't hear from many people who remained pissed off after having done their tandem whether through skyride or otherwise... Oh wait, no I don't. It's because they're all f&cking ecstatic when there feet touch the ground again. Rain checks, no refunds and 4 hour drives matter not when they have just been given the best ride of their lives (having awesome facilities, aircraft, gear, and instructors is only icing on the cake).

The ends justify the means? You are OK with Skyride lieing, cheating and stealing as long as you like the results?

Derek

yet all the people screeching about how horrible it is are experienced jumpers who I suppose feel that their wallets would be much thicker if it weren't for skyride...

You haven't talked to a whuffo coming out to do a tandem who shows up and realizes that they just spent $80 more by going through skyride and the DZ that is closest to them (my DZ) doesn't take skyride certificates due to being screwed by Skyride refusing to pay and Skyride's odd tax practices.

If you did, you'd see the other side and not be blind to the facts.

Infact, just about every person that comes to our DZ and realizes how screwed they've become due to Skyride, file with the BBB and report it to the state attorney general's office.

Give it time and the hammer is going to drop on Skyride, momentum is building and the legal system's gears are starting to turn.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Give it time and the hammer is going to drop on Skyride, momentum is building and the legal system's gears are starting to turn.

The legal system, like all other systems in our society, revolves around money. That's why monopolies continue to prosper despite laws to the contrary. So I doubt Skyride will see its demise any time soon but I guess we will see where the legal battle takes us all... but believe me, the only way to make all of us struggling to make a living in this fledgling industry happy, is if we all aggressively market our sport to the outside world. Skyride does this, if everybody did... We'd all make money.

We'd all make money.

Huh, I jump at a fairly small DZ in TX, we don't take Skyride and I made nearly $500 this past weekend.

Ok, tell you what, I want to talk to you in a couple of years when you get more experience in the sport, get some ratings and a better understanding of what is going on. I was really hard headed when I had only a couple of hundred jumps, then I did a lot of growing up. Thank god folks took the time to tell me I was full of shit. Eventually it came through and made sense to me and I realized what was going on.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It is not marketing when they Claim to be someone/someplace they are not. It is called FRAUD.

It is not Marketing when they claim to be located in one state and in reality they are in another state. It is Deception.

It is not Marketing when they use STOLEN property to "Market" their product.

I completely agree with you that ASC has Great Aircraft, Top Notch Instructors and Good Facilities. I personally dont care that ASC/Skyride doesn’t mention other DZs that do not participate in their program (What business points out their Competitors??)..

The problem with them is that they intentionally Lie, mislead and deceive their customers about who they are and where they are. They use STOLEN intellectual Property to market themselves and then charge all sorts of ridiculous Hidden Fees once they have the deposit (And of course the deposit is non-refundable).

How would you like it if I sold you something and AFTER I got your Non-refundable Deposit, I told you oh BTW.. You have to drive 4 hours further than you thought to pick it up.. and then when you get there you find out there is an Extra Fee for "The Big Plane", an extra Fee for "All the way up" an extra Fee for "Gear Rental" and whatever else. Oh and if you complain.. No Refund on your deposit.
Would you put up with that?
Unfortunately, that is exactly what happens to many Skyride Customers.

And you think this helps this sport??

You have to drive 4 hours further than you thought to pick it up.. and then when you get there you find out there is an Extra Fee for "The Big Plane", an extra Fee for "All the way up" an extra Fee for "Gear Rental" and whatever else.

Oh the whatever else! You mean the charges for weather insurance, port fees and the like?
Give me a break.

In the Atlanta area, skyride may very well send tandems to a superior dropzone than the smaller ones they'll pass on the way. Here in New England, they are much more likely to pass the big turbine DZs to jump at the more expensive Cessna DZs where they'll jump from 4000 feet lower. How exactly does that benefit the consumer? Yes, they WILL be ecstatic after their jump and they will never likely realize they just got screwed. That's because no matter where you do it, skydiving's fun and worth whatever the drive. But are the customers BETTER OFF going through skyride? Since you'll probably answer yes, HOW are they better off?

Now I really don't care all that much about the fact that skyride only sends tandems to certain dropzones which may be farther away. They are not really in the business of finding good, safe dropzones. They're in the business of bringing business to participating dropzones, just like 1-800-skydive. I don't like it. I don't think it's good for the image of the sport. But it's a business model. The problem I have is how they run that business. Lying and stealing. Lying and stealing from customers that don't know they're being lied to or cheated. Got any numbers for how many people have gotten so fed up trying to figure out where a dropzone actually is or how much a skydive will actually cost that they decided skydiving is full of crooks and just gave up?

Dave

But to take your analogy one step further..
Six Flags don’t use Pictures of Mickey in their Ads. .

And if they did, they'd meet the nastiest, grumpiest group of lawyers on the planet. Disney has the deep pockets to make sure no one makes money off their work.

I wonder why we don't hear from many people who remained pissed off after having done their tandem whether through skyride or otherwise... Oh wait, no I don't.

We frequently hear from those who were unable to jump, and unable to get a refund. But not that often since if they found DZ, they'd be more likely to avoid the Skyride trap. You'll often find ebay ads for Skyride vouchers as well from people who gave up trying to get their money back.

OTOH, anyone working at a dropzone that no longer accepts these vouchers must run into these angry people very often. Nothing worse than driving 4 hours to be hit with a sudden $20 landing fee than driving that far to get nothing, or pay full price for a jump.

You have to drive 4 hours further than you thought to pick it up.. and then when you get there you find out there is an Extra Fee for "The Big Plane", an extra Fee for "All the way up" an extra Fee for "Gear Rental" and whatever else.

Oh the whatever else! You mean the charges for weather insurance, port fees and the like?
Give me a break.

HI BB

Think head of lettuce:)
R.I.P.

since im not banned anymore for ripping you a new ass i will once again try to get my point across without pointing out all your stupid little comments.

add, example

Six FLags, located DIRECTLY next door to disney world. we have a safety record far above our competeditor, they kill 15 people a year, we have never even had a twisted ankle.
We have 2 times as many fun rides and we update them every 6 months. all our old stuff is sold to our competeditors and we have new start of the art safety requirements. we charge only half of what they charge.

ok so. now you call this place and they sell you tickets, you show up. but there is no SIX FLAGS directly next door to disney.. they didnt mention they ment next door as in GEORGIA not florida. so now you have this non refundable ticket for 20 peeps that you paid 200$ each for and your going to have to drive 8 hours to use them. and i say 200$ when in all reality that is what you were charged per person after all the fee,s tacked on when the advertised price was 169. that would leave ONE HELL OF A BAD TASTE in my mouth...

example 2.

you show up to six flags NEXT DOOR to disney, and you find out that it is actually the back entrance to disney. and you take this certificate to them and they let you in. actual price to get in if you walk up!.. $125 you paid 200. is that illigal?. no and i dont have as much a problem with this as i do the first example.... but when this DISNEY world finds out how pissed alot of the custemers are, wehen they come and complain disney decides to stop taking these PASSES. well herer come more peeps trying to get in because they were told that this place was part of them and they paid all this money to get in and the maneger says well, sorry we dont honor those tickets. well they are non refundable. so where do they go now..

dude! your a newbie. quit standing up for somone that you have no idea as to what is going on. just sit down and shut up and watch as things crumble. why dont you think you see mike gruwell standing up for them anymore, well because deep down inside him he knows he is wrong!!! and every argument that he makes for them will be shot down.. the FTC will shut this operation down you better believe that, you know why??? BECAUSE WHAT THEY DO IS ILLIGAL!!! your ignorant to why becfause you dont know the facts, because your a newbie, you dont know better and that is completely understandable.. in about a year or 2 you will be so embarrased to look back and see the things you said to defend them. you will do this once you have all the facts..

why dont you think that all the people that help start that place and build it to what it is now are gone?>>> the only one left is mike gruwell, and im tellin ya.. he aint going to last much longer..

you WILL see the light one day if you continue on in the sport. i have some freinds and some enemies over there. the only reason they are enemiews is because they see me as a threat because im NOT under the controll of them. im NOT brainwashed like a good majority of them...the childish attitude of the owners reflects on there staff and onto the regular customers. get out while you can because it IS COMING DOWN!!! you better believe that!

if you would like to talk more about this i will swing by asc this weekend and we can go chat... im not an ass, i will be nice and give you the cold hard facts..... most of the staff knows what im talking about but they all chose to ignore it and move on because they are either making a living or making good money...

i think somone refered to tham as a parasite....and that is exactly what it is. and if not carefull and peeps across the country and even the world arent carefull, they will have to deal with it.... all you have to do is not deal with it...

i have a list of manufactures that im going to post soon who are DEEPLY in asc, pocket book. i personally like alot of these manufactures but will no llonger do buisness with them...

somone want to spell check this and grammer check this for me????:)

HI BB

Think head of lettuce

Slug you got me on that one! Yep head of lettuce. Best sig line I've ever had:)
Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.
What can we do about Skyride? Well do nothing and see a new drop zone open up right next door courtesy of 1800Skyride.
Geez Hemet California sounds nice:)

(my DZ) doesn't take skyride certificates due to being screwed by Skyride refusing to pay and Skyride's odd tax practices<
-----------------------------------------------------

Yeah! , apparently our DZO is owed quite a few thousand from Skyride and is having trouble collecting. He most definatly wants to stop using them, however he is scared they may not pay him if he suddlenly cut them off,,, he is a stupid man and has come to the conculision that he will only take a few every weekend until he is paid off. It is over due by severial months. So we can add does not pay their labor to the list of lie, cheat, steal.

Tell your DZO to talk to a lawyer ASAP. Stopped payment is an easy lawsuit to win if he's got the paperwork in. Depending on the ammount it might even be able to be filled through Small Claims court and thats free.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

(my DZ) doesn't take skyride certificates due to being screwed by Skyride refusing to pay and Skyride's odd tax practices<
-----------------------------------------------------

Yeah! , apparently our DZO is owed quite a few thousand from Skyride and is having trouble collecting. He most definatly wants to stop using them, however he is scared they may not pay him if he suddlenly cut them off,,, he is a stupid man and has come to the conculision that he will only take a few every weekend until he is paid off. It is over due by severial months. So we can add does not pay their labor to the list of lie, cheat, steal.

Damn[:/]

Why didn't i think of that?

Syrides bussiness model is better (worse) than I thought. Great way to maximize their profits and run unsuspecting (sucker) DZ's out of business.

Poor customer service can work for skyride due to complain to the BBB :D:D:D

Not particapting DZ's might make some go under:( so skyride can buy them out:o Slick.....Very dirty but when you play with the devil you get burned.

Hell of a business model!!

R.I.P.