ChasingBlueSky

What can we do about Skyride?

No, the DZ gets charged a lesser fee then what they normally make.

For example;

DZ normal price is $189
Skyride pays the DZ $159 per certificate they redeem
Skyride charges the customer $259 for the jump after all the fees.

DZ loses $30 over what they would have made, Student is charged $70 more then what they would have been charged originally. Only one that comes out ahead is Skyride.

This is common business practice...it's like Priceline.com. Brings in business that the DZ would not have otherwise gotten, or that the DZ would have had to spend their own marketing dollars up front to aquire...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Brings in business that the DZ would not have otherwise gotten,

That is a bunch of bunk!
If people want to make a tandem they will find a way to make one.
I know of folks that have been charged nearly $500 per tandem. No justification for that nor for the business practices of Skyride.
If they had set themselves up as something like expedia it wouldn't have been an issue. Fact is they didn't.
What they did do was mislead consumers and redirect from real drop zones on the internet..period.
Oh and they stole a lot of copywrited photos and...and..and.
'Nuff said.

i like it there but i totally don't agree with skyride. but like i said i can't afford to go some place else. i'm in college and i'm pushing it just being able to jump let alone driving just the 1:15 minutes. i just dont' have the money to drive that extra hour there and back

Easy:)
Car pool & Road head.

R.I.P.

Brings in business that the DZ would not have otherwise gotten,

That is a bunch of bunk!
If people want to make a tandem they will find a way to make one.
I know of folks that have been charged nearly $500 per tandem. No justification for that nor for the business practices of Skyride.
If they had set themselves up as something like expedia it wouldn't have been an issue. Fact is they didn't.
What they did do was mislead consumers and redirect from real drop zones on the internet..period.
Oh and they stole a lot of copywrited photos and...and..and.
'Nuff said.

Betsy - I only made a reply to a specific post...I am not saying that overall Skyride is ethical or anything.

But what Phree stated is not an unethical business practice.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Think lettuceor any other veggie,or just some DNA.

Damn I spelled DNA write

Your right slug...but your write wasnt a right;) Think lettuce...keep swimming..

Betsy - I only made a reply to a specific post...I am not saying that overall Skyride is ethical or anything.

Thanks for clarifying:$

Phreezone wrote:

DZ normal price is $189
Skyride pays the DZ $159 per certificate they redeem
Skyride charges the customer $259 for the jump after all the fees.

But what Phree stated is not an unethical business practice.

Tell that to the skyride customer just paid $259 for a tandem, shows up at the DZ and see's the $189 price posted on the wall in manifest. What do you tell them when they start demanding a refund from manifest?

It makes the DZ look bad, and it makes the industry look bad. It certainly is unethical.

I'm a big proponent of "buyer beware", but I sure wouldn't want to be associated with a company who's entire business relies on abusing it.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

News on the legal front:

Case number: 2:05cv2656 filed in US District Court, Arizona district.

The complaint is for violations of sections 43 (A) of the Lanham Act,CONSUMER DECEPTION, trademark infringement,and unfair competion.

I understand the Lanham act involves civil law, not criminal.

I don't have a PACER login, so I can't lookup the details. Can someone do the homework and post the results? http://www.azd.uscourts.gov/azd/courtinfo.nsf/court/pacer?OpenDocument

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I understand the Lanham act involves civils civil law, but criminal.

It's a civil action, no jail time _but_ the Lanham Act does provide for trebling of damages and the complaint alleges sufficient grounds for this.

I don't have a PACER login, so I can't lookup the details. Can someone do the homework and post the results?

I have a copy of the complaint, however, the file size exceeds the maximum permitted for upload. I'll be happy to post case documents here or perhaps to another location.

Greenies?

Bluto

Nice Read.

Now all the other DZO`s in Other states should take this Document and use it as a template to file thier own suits. It usually only about $125 to file suit in Federal Court and can be done Pro Se. You do NOT have to have a Lawyer. Just get a copy of your local rules and the FRCP and read up on the Rules and go for it.

I just wanted to say:

It speaks very well of Skydive Arizona that they've taken the lead here. Skyride is most damaging to small dropzones, who generally don't have the resources to hire lawyers and fight it out. Skydive Arizona has put in a lot of time, money and energy on behalf of the whole skydiving industry.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

It speaks very well of Skydive Arizona that they've taken the lead here. Skyride is most damaging to small dropzones, who generally don't have the resources to hire lawyers and fight it out. Skydive Arizona has put in a lot of time, money and energy on behalf of the whole skydiving industry.

Amen. I'm planning on showing my appreciation with my wallet one of these days - this honestly may have been a deciding factor in my 'where to go this winter to jump?' vacation.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Now all the other DZO`s in Other states should take this Document and use it as a template to file thier own suits. It usually only about $125 to file suit in Federal Court and can be done Pro Se. You do NOT have to have a Lawyer. Just get a copy of your local rules and the FRCP and read up on the Rules and go for it.

And if you choose to follow this advice be sure and read up on FRCP Rule 11 sanctions beforehand :S (I recall the last person to go up against me in federal court pro se in a Lanham Act case. Seems he lost his house: Lennox Industries v. Gabriel, 00 C 0365 N.D. Ill.)

Bluto

Spoken like a true Lawyer.

It can be done. I have successfully defended myself Pro Se in Federal Court against a Major Multi-Billion Dollar Corporation. Follow the rules. Ask the Clerk if you are not sure about something. Be ready to spend many, many hours reading, researching and writing motions.
This action will have a much better chance of success if it is brought in multiple states by multiple plaintiffs.

one of my club's members found this floating around from skyride...
http://www.1800skyride.com/...g/Buffalo/index.html

another person found one with an "Erie" site too...

our real site is...
http://www.frontierskydivers.com

these people just don't stop do they??? >:(

Couldn't find the phantom buffalo or erie sites but did find this on skyride site.:D:D:D funny shit:)

-800-Sky-Ride - #1 in Customer Satisfaction!
At 1- 800- SKY - RIDE you always get a 'real' customer service professional to assist you! You will receive all the benefits of dealing with a reputable national company, without sacrificing the personal attention that you deserve! We will guide you through the entire process from the moment that you reserve your ride, up until the day of your ride!

With 1-800-SKY-RIDE, you always get first class quality for your investment. Call us today to reserve your ride, or to purchase a 1-800-SKY-RIDE Gift Certificate for someone special! We can handle your reservation or purchase right over the phone! Call us today and see for yourself why so many of our customers return to us each year to add more adventure to their lives!

i like it there but i totally don't agree with skyride. but like i said i can't afford to go some place else. i'm in college and i'm pushing it just being able to jump let alone driving just the 1:15 minutes. i just dont' have the money to drive that extra hour there and back

With the price of gas what is it these days, I think a lot more jumpers are driving together now. Start reaching out for others around you. and you don't have to change 100% at the onset. Commute to the further one when it's convenient.

You're cleared to self jumpmaster by now, right? As soon as I was, I bailed on my training DZ for one with less wind and more (much more) sport jumping.