ChasingBlueSky

What can we do about Skyride?

Why did they stop? Here is one example out of many. I did a google search on sky dive in Iowa City. A generic site came up lisiting a dz that was home of the Jumping Iowa Hakeyes (there is no such thing) The info was turned over to the University of Iowa and within 24 hours that site was not on line any more. Get the idea? As for thier customers? I hope they sue the crap out of them

I get the idea, but the approach is not very effective. Shutting down one of the hundreds of Skyride websites or phone numbers only affects a small part of the marketing channel in one area.

You want to get tandems to the nearest IA DZ. This benefits you and the student. A tandem student from the immediate area is much more likely to come back if they don’t have to drive for hours to get to the DZ. Getting all the DZ’s in a state or region to stop working with Skyride may be more effective in reaching that goal.

Of course, convincing all the DZO’s in one region to drop Skyride may be a difficult challenge, but it is the most effective way to reduce and/or eliminate the Skyride problem. It sounds like the DZO’s in your area may have been working together – or at least listening to each other. That’s a great start.

If someone in IA wants to do a tandem, they will hopefully find another way to get in touch with the nearest IA dropzone. It is now less likely that they will use Skyride. Hopefully, your DZ’s have effective marketing in your area so prospective tandems can find you.

Of course, there’s still the chance that someone in part of the state could go – or be sent -- to a Skyride DZ in a neighboring state. Any DZ’s nearby accepting Skyride certs?

Skyride may consider itself to be a ‘booking agents’, but their marketing is deceptive and it negatively affects the sport. Skyride has a terrible affect on prospective students and the small business owners (DZO’s) that our sport depends on.

Congrats to your DZO’s for eliminating a big part of the Skyride problem in your area.

Cary was interviewed? can you show me the link cause i didn't see it on skydivingmovies.com unless your talking about Ben...

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2973536#2973536

Go through the thread without the rose colored glasses. ;)

I was already corrected, it's my mistake for categorizing the two like that but I can't tell the difference.:|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

My guess is that Travelosity and Orbits thrive because you can generally get a better deal going through them than you would by going direct to the airline, or hotel. Ironic that people will spend considerable time to save $20 on an airline ticket, but allow themselves to be sodomized by Skyride for their skydiving experience.

Travelocity and Orbitz thrive because they support the industry, selling off excess inventory that would otherwise be lost forever, ie; you've got XXX empty seats on your aircraft, sell em' for what they can be sold for rather than go empty. Got empty beds? Sell em' on a bargain rather than have occupancy, etc.
It's not at all comparable.
Selling a booking for a highly personalized experience is fine; so long as it's being done honestly.
Honest hotel brokers work on the principle of finding out what beds there are to sell first, and then selling them. Skyride sells whatever they can, and then hopes that there is an empty bed after the sale is made. If there isn't, then the excuse is that the room isn't ready, the hotel is being remodeled, the carpets are smelly...
If it weren't just the skydiving industry, it would at least point to the sort of ignorance we're reading here. But...it's the gliding, ballooning, race-car thrill, and other "adventures." ThrillPlanet and the other pseudonyms for Skyride are all targets of state and federal investigations, signaling that all is not well in Smyrna.

2fat2 fly's question in public. So how about that turbine Ac in SC?

I can go with not wanting to scroll through a busy thread-I just scan a lot myself. I did get an answer
"As far as i know the DZ in SC operates with mainly a Cessna they fly an otter on occasions but as far as your question no we no not have a turbine. I have no problem answering these questions just send them to me as a private message "

Which I accept as an answer to the question. That still leaves the fact that the site claims are provably fraudulent. Luckily, Dropzone.com isn't the only website I know. I'm also familiar with This one
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

You jump at one of the IA DZ’s, so…

Why did the DZO at your DZ accept Skyride certs?
Why did this policy change (why did the DZO stop accepting Skyide certs)?

Do you know for sure that all 3 of the DZ’s accepted Skyride certs?
Did they all change their minds about Skyride?

It would be interesting to know the effects on Skyride customers when an entire state stops participating. Where would a prospective tandem student from IA have to go now if they call Skyride? Out of state? How far away?

You simply go the nearest Skyride DZ. It's a 20 minute drive from wherever you are.

My work number is 1800-214-8611 please do not post it or pass it out but for your own satisfaction please give me a call so we can talk.

i will be leaving in 2 hours at 7pm EST

Has anyone called Ryan here? Why not simply call 1-800-skyride and ask for Ryan? Does he work for Skyride, or just a troll?
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

The same thing you might get if you call and ask for Charlie, Jack, Joey, or Gruwell..."he's not in right now, but should be back shortly - is there something I can help you with in the meantime?"

When in the mood for laughs, others and I used to call on speakerphone, and would ask for ourselves by name, and get that. Even got the same response for "Mr. Butts, Mr. Seymour Butts," and "Amanda Hugenkiss," etc.

"You know, medium height, brown hair, really nice..."

"Oh, yeah, I know them! Hey, were you calling about your first-jump? She/he told me you would be calling..."

If it were a joke, it would be funny.

But, I personally believe he works for them. I have my reasons.
Roll Tide Roll

why would i claim to work for skyride ? really what would the point be claiming to work for Skyride if i did not?

call in the 1800 759-7433 number act like a vendor and you will transfered to me.
Ryan Berger
Business Development & Vendor Relations for 1-800Skyride

I answered the question you asked me truthfully and to all of my knowledge and yet you throw in bogus threat about SCAG office.

I believe that I indicated that I was satisfied with the answer and am curious to see if the issue would be addressed internally. I am brash, abrasive, and acerbic; but never bogus. That wasn't a threat, just making you aware of what was going on.
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

(BUMP)

I figured since people were clogging up the list of skyride DZs thread with skyride discussions and call experiences, they'd remember to post the rabble here instead. :P

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

(BUMP)

I figured since people were clogging up the list of skyride DZs thread with skyride discussions and call experiences, they'd remember to post the rabble here instead.

3 years plus and skyride is still alive. What can this thread do about skyride?
Owned by Remi #?

(BUMP)

I figured since people were clogging up the list of skyride DZs thread with skyride discussions and call experiences, they'd remember to post the rabble here instead.

3 years plus and skyride is still alive. What can this thread do about skyride?

Easy, it makes sure people don't forget skyride is still ruining this sport! :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

We need to stop complaining and start taking concrete action against skyride. Calling local media outlets, the state attorneys office, emailing or writing letters to city council members, anyone who can do anything about it. Anything to get the ball rolling. Ive started trying to talk to some media people and lawyers about it. I cant stand by and just talk about it. If we can get as many people to join in doing things like this on a regular basis it will pay off, it may take time but it will pay off.
“Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier than helping someone move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load his shit into a truck.”