ChasingBlueSky

What can we do about Skyride?

They then put down a $70 deposit (these numbers are approximate, I don't know the actual numbers). The deposit is not refunded and when they show up they are then charged $129. Sounds pretty deceptive to me...

At that point, I would leave, call my credit card and have the charges cancelled.

At that point, I would leave, call my credit card and have the charges cancelled.

Skyride is fully aware of what a pain in the ass that is. They also contest chargebacks creating a huge hassle for thier victims. Many people get tired of fighting and give up after a while. This is what Skyride is counting on.

These people are pure scam artists and theives.

That is good news. I just wanted to share one more thing about this company.

Someone earlier asked about whether Thrill Planet had actually sold any of the certificates on eBay seeing how they had a feedback score of zero. I was able to find out that they had, however, I was also a little perplexed as to why they had zero feedback. Well, I just found out how.

A few days ago I sent them a question through eBay about one of their skydiving certificates and asked them if I could also purchase some whiter-water rafting, helicopter ride, and hot balloon certificates at the same time. This is the exact response I received:

"We offer a lot of different events if you go to our website thrillplanet.com you can take a look and let me know what else you may be interested in or you can give me a call at 1-800-759-7433 i can let you know what type of discount i can give you when we talk."

It turns out that Thrill Planet was only using eBay as an advertising venue. They were having customers circumvent the entire eBay process and go directly through them instead to make purchases. That is a huge no-no in eBay's eyes because it takes away all buyer protection in the event something goes wrong with the sell. That fact, coupled with multiple emails to eBay, has successfully shut down Thrill Planet's deceptive advertising on eBay for the time being!

I asked the question regarding whether they'd actually sold any certificates through ebay. Just for my own curiosity I sent an email question through ebay, asking if they had any DZs in the Wichita Kansas area. I expected to have them tell me that there was a DZ 10 miles SE of town (that would be my DZ). This is the responce:
"We have a location in Springfield Missouri that have some really nice aircraft and some great instructors
if you have any more questions please feel free to call 800-759-7433

Thanks
Ryan Berger"

The fact that my ebay user name is "skydive-d19006", may have been a bit of a give away?

I emailed a DZO in that area of MO asking him if he knew if anyone around him accepted the certificates. To my knowledge there are two DZs in the Springfield area and they don't accept the certificates. That said, nobody who does deal with Skyride is out advertising that fact are they? Edited by slotperfect

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

So what phone number is it that they gave you?

I don't know, feel free to give them a call, and report back! I waste my time writing these posts, not calling the Skyride boiler room, although that call could prove to be more entertaining.

It was fun when I was a kid to make a prank phone call here and there, but with caller ID it's taken most of the fun out of it. Maybe I'll teach my kids (5 and 3) who to dial when making there prank calls? Just need to make sure that the little angles don't have access to my credit card number!!!

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Damn man I was just asking. If it's a waste of your time posting here then I would stop posting.

Ok Spence, I called the number. The guy who answered the phone said “Skyride…”, and I could hear the sounds of a tele-marking room in the background. I said that I was interested in skydiving, the guy asked me for my zip code, I said “I’m in Wichita Kansas.” He had to figure out where Wichita Kansas was, then surprisingly enough he actually said that they do not have any DZs in Kansas or the area (paraphrasing). Wow! I said “So there’s no place around here to skydive?” He stammered just a bit, then said “Not that we’re affiliated with.” I said I’d check around, thanked him and that was it.

What do you think Spence? I don’t think that guy has much of a future with Skyride. He obviously has honesty issues.

I wasn’t trying to beat up on you for asking the question Spence, just trying to use a tough of satire/sarcasm (take your pick). I like wasting my time here, although not quite enough to spend it posting/reading the Bonfire (don’t search, I’m sure I’ve posted there in the past). Now, back to the show!

Martin

AC DZ

It's about time! B|

It's public record, so there should be no problem making it more public here.

http://www.georgia.gov/vgn/images/portal/cit_1210/3/12/869420861800SkyRide.pdf

Apparently the same thing appears to be happening in a couple of other states. The end is drawing near... :)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

$26,000+ to each victim at 60+ complaints that 1.3 million owed plus legal fees.

I read it as a complaint / suit not a verdict so I think nothing is owed (yet) and also took the 20,000ish thousand dollar amount to be spit amongst the victims. At 300 x 60 that seems more likely. Why would a court award someone who was outed a tandem jump 26,000?

If that really is the case I'm going to start booking skyride jumps left and right starting tomorrow :P
Owned by Remi #?

$26,000+ to each victim at 60+ complaints that 1.3 million owed plus legal fees.

I read it as one payment of 21,397.05 split between the injured parties. Also $5,000 per violation, which I counted something like 15, but some of those would be thrown out. Maybe another couple million in attorney fees? That one could hang em! Anyone read The Rainmaker?

WHEREFORE, plaintiff prays that the Court enter the following relief:

(a) an injunction permanently restraining Defendants from violating the FBPA;

(b) an award of civil penalties up to a maximum of $5,000 per violation of the FBPA;

(c) restitution OF $ 21,397.05 to persons adversely affected by Defendants' actions;

(d) an award of court costs and attorney's fees; and

(e) any other and further relief as the Court deems just and proper

AC DZ

I'm not so up to date on American laws but from what I know it's really the USPA that needs to do something about the misuse of their name. From there injunctions can be filed to prevent skyride from making the association with their name.

-Michael

:( I'm new here, but just wanted to drop a post. I mostly wanted to comment on how sad I am to see how far ASC has gone down the tubes. I got certified there & was part of the 'regulars group' way back when they only had a single metal shed to operate out of. I have nothing but good memories of the good times and people that let me cut my teeth in the sport.
Most have moved on in what I figure is a result of ASC's corrupt practicies: Curly, Mike Gruwell, Hans, etc. Kind of a weird premonition, but I was one of the first people Ben & Carry showed their original flyer design to. A few of us told them it was a bit of a fringe statement to say they were the closest / biggest DZ for people in Alabama. Who'd have thunk it'd get this bad. Oh well, best of luck to everyone from the 'old' ASC crowd that has moved on!

Chris

Hey everyone,

If you still want to do something about Skyride I found something today. I use this service called Kudzu.com to find businesses in Atlanta. It's a pretty good service, I like it a lot. I noticed this morning that there was an article for learning more about skydiving in the middle of the page. So I checked it out and they have some good information. But then, they have a link to skydiving businesses in the ATL area, which are "reviewed" by the site users. Or you could just search by keyword "skydive". Most of these appear to be Skyride sites. So it might deter a few people if some of us logged on and gave reviews. Just a thought. I've done a few already.

Here's the link.

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

I've contacted Kudzu a few times about the multiple listings for the same dropzone to addresses that aren't correct for where the business is actually located. It pushes the other real dropzones (Skydive Atlanta and Skydive The Farm) to the second page when there are really only 3 dropzones in the Atlanta area. Kudzu has told me they've looked into it, but it's only gotten worse since then. I'm sure they're getting some type of information from each of the listings that makes them feel they are legitimate.

A few more people contacting Kudzu about the issue would help as well.

Thanks,
Mike
ChutingStar.com

kudzu thats a japanese wild growth we landscapers have to kill...I guess its like the skydivers have to kill something similar in the skydiving world
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

I know a DZO who decided to try accepting Skyride certificates because he didn't know the whole controversy, not being a big internet user himself. He has accepted maybe a dozen students arranged through Skyride, and now can't seem to get them to pay him for the jumps the students made...

(Now that jumpers found out and filled him in on the story, he's no longer planning to do any business with Skyride... except hopefully get what he is owed.)

I've contacted Kudzu a few times about the multiple listings for the same dropzone to addresses that aren't correct for where the business is actually located.

Did you appen to reference Kudzu's Business Agreement where it says in Part 8:

"8. Participant Representations; Indemnification: Participant represents and warrants that the Listings, the Participant Marks, the Participant Information, the Participant Materials and all other materials provided by Participant (a) will not violate any applicable law, rule or regulation (including, but not limited to, any law relating to false or deceptive advertising),..."

Did you llet them know about the Georgia lawsuit for just such violations?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239