ChasingBlueSky

What can we do about Skyride?

i was looking to get my dad a gift cert for a balloon ride for xmas...this is what i came across on more than one site.
Warning! It has come to our attention recently, that due to the "big ticket item" nature of balloon rides there are several nationwide companies targeting consumers by selling "discount" balloon ride gift certificates. They pass themselves off as local ride companies but really don't fly balloons in the state, don't have a local address and some don't even own a balloon. Good luck finding a pilot to honor your ride ticket. Beware! If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. PLEASE Make sure you are purchasing from a reputable hot air balloon company that has a Connecticut address and phone number.

This is obviously a pretty emotional subject, but we'd like to keep this discussion going.

Those of you who have very strong opinions either way about this topic need to realize two things: 1) we will continue to moderate this thread for content, 2) if you break the forum rules you may lose your posting privileges.

Also, please keep this thread free from "noise." One liners, off-topic posts, etc. This thread is huge already and we don't need to clutter it with unproductive stuff.

Thanks! B|
Arrive Safely

John

So today I had to deal with an irate customer. The conversation went like this;" My name is____ and I bought a gift certificate for my husband for Christmas that was suppose to be a surprise. Someone from your drop zone called at 9:10 PM and left a messege. My husband was home and you've ruined Christmas!"
I knew where it had come from off the bat ...but the woman insited that it was Skydive Arizona...I continued to ask her several questions and finally she offered that she saved the recording on her answering machine and would I mind listening to it, which I did.
The number was...1-800-skyride.
I explained to the woman that we do not honor those certificates.
She said: "But I told them it was for Skydive Arizona!"
Merry, merry eh?[:/]

i was looking to get my dad a gift cert for a balloon ride for xmas...this is what i came across on more than one site.
Warning! It has come to our attention recently, that due to the "big ticket item" nature of balloon rides there are several nationwide companies targeting consumers by selling "discount" balloon ride gift certificates. They pass themselves off as local ride companies but really don't fly balloons in the state, don't have a local address and some don't even own a balloon. Good luck finding a pilot to honor your ride ticket. Beware! If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. PLEASE Make sure you are purchasing from a reputable hot air balloon company that has a Connecticut address and phone number.

You mean as on this site:
Adventure Balloon - near the bottom of the page [CT]
or this one ?
Champagne Flights - near the bottom of the page [Ohio]
or this one ?
Fantastic Fall Balloon Flights! - middle of page [Iowa]

This is interesting:
LifeTime Fitness Balloon
Life time Fitness Hang Gliding
Life Time Glider
Life Time Skydiving

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

There is a story that appeared on Reuters news site yesterday that I believe relates to this thread.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=internetNews&storyID=7031443§ion=news

(How do they do that "clicky" thing)

Pendejo

Pendejo

He who swoops the ditch and does not get out buys the BEER!!

Its not really the same thing. While they might have issues with refunds, its not outright stealing from people by tricking them into giving their bank information.

B2,

This probaly came up already but Skydive AZ could help her out wit ha deal and it would be better for all concerned the positive word of mouth for your DZ would be equal to the Bad word of mouth for Skyride.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

While the bulk of the article is regarding the attempt to obtain bank information illegally, the opening paragraph states...

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Internet companies and law-enforcement agencies said on Wednesday they will work together to track down online scam artists who pose as banks and other legitimate businesses, a practice known as "phishing."

If you go to the google web site and type in Skydive South Carolina, you will find the top return to be a web site for a business that does not exist. The argument that it is a link to the marketing firm does not really hold true. Note that they say that "Skydive South Carolina" operates turbin aircraft 7 days a week 365 days per year. In the "restaurants/hotels section they list hotels in the St. George area. I called them this morning and was told that they are only a booking agent for drop zones in the area (although Blue Sky Adventures in St. Goerge is not one of them), but their DZ was located in Georgia. When asked about why the web site stated they were "Skydive South Carolina" the response was we are a booking agency. When I informed them that did not answer my question the response was the same.

This is clearly a web site posing as a legitimate business that does not exist, and that makes the article relevant.

Pendejo

He who swoops the ditch and does not get out buys the BEER!!

Is SkydiveSouthcarolina.com a Skyride site? If so, quoting from that site

"We are the ONLY skydiving center in South Carolina that guarantees 14,000 foot skydives every day."

The only DZ that I know of that accepts Skyride certificates doesn't have a turbine and only operates on weekends. If that's the case, the "in South Carolina" , "14,000 foot" , and the "every day" are all blatant falsehoods.
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

Is SkydiveSouthcarolina.com a Skyride site?

Yes it is.

I got "busted" (an overstatement) for posting whois info about many of the other skyride sites (address to which the sites are registered), but you can look up any website yourself using many different websites. Try http://www.allwhois.com. This particular one only has a phone number and PO box listed.

Dave

How about this? If you go to internetexplorer.com or yahoo.com search engines and type skydive statesboro, the first option is a link to asc skydiving center. What is this practice called ? :|

I'm not sure exactly what it's called, but the fact that ASC's done it should PISS EVERYBODY OFF, except Ben and Cary, of course... I'm sure they're grinning from ear to ear. >:(

And why is it that the real Skydive Statesboro is listed as #1., but the ASC link is on top of that with just a bullet and its own shaded box?

One option would be for each real DZ to change the title of their DZ web sites to include "REAL", such as "The REAL Skydive Statesboro", so people looking at the search lists can accurately pick the right one, and not get sucked in to ASC...

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

And why is it that the real Skydive Statesboro is listed as #1., but the ASC link is on top of that with just a bullet and its own shaded box?

It's an ad. ASC paid to be at the top of the list. I skip those when doing a search anyway, but I dunno about most people.

Dave

It's an ad. ASC paid to be at the top of the list. I skip those when doing a search anyway, but I dunno about most people.

Dave

"Most people" is what concerns me. People just looking for a tandem or place to learn are not going to realize this unless they're a stickler for details and want to know exactly what they're looking for.

Personally, using another DZ's name for its own ad is just plain wrong. I'm sure the DZO at Statesboro has a legal right to force that ad off.

Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

As far as the legal right to force the ad off, we are working on that...I just don't understand why the owners of a well estabilished DZ, see the need to mislead the public. We are at least 6 hrs away from their facility.
About the #1 on the search engines below the "sponsored sites": That is a lot work and time invested to be, legitimately, on top of the list.

I don't think it should be changed - the focus needs to be on the persons and/or company that is doing the theft and bait/switch. Pointing fingers at the DZ (and possibly the jumpers) is the wrong place to look and it will become a witch hunt then.

Focus on what is going wrong and needs to be changed and the solution will be easier.

I don't think it should be changed - the focus needs to be on the persons and/or company that is doing the theft and bait/switch. Pointing fingers at the DZ (and possibly the jumpers) is the wrong place to look and it will become a witch hunt then.

Focus on what is going wrong and needs to be changed and the solution will be easier.

Well, ASC doesn't get off scot-free. The fact is, most of the search traffic still leads people to ASC. Ben and Cary still own ASC. Sure, the buck stops at Ben and Cary, but ASC, their original baby, is still guilty by association. They've grown their DZ via ill-gotten gains through all the web traffic and phone deceptions. Most DZs don't grow as fast as they did without doing something unethical/illegal.

Blue Skies
Billy

The link Skydive Statesboro is re-directed to the url
ascskydiving.com. Skydive Statesboro is a dz near Savannah on the Georgia's coast and is not associated with Atlanta Skydiving Center in Cedartown, near the Tennessee state line. That is where my focus is.