shropshire

Bush (Senior) Skydives again

B|B|B|

COLLEGE STATION, Texas (AP) -- It's the grand reopening of former President George Bush's presidential museum. And Bush celebrated the event with a surprise skydive on Saturday.

It's his sixth skydive and his first since 2004, when he jumped to celebrate his 80th birthday. Bush made the jump strapped to an expert from the U.S. Army Golden Knights parachute team.

His first parachute jump was back in 1944, when Bush was shot down over the Pacific during World War II.

The Bush presidential museum first opened on the Texas A&M University campus 10 years ago. It's been mostly closed since April for a 8.3 million dollar facelift.

clicky

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

One emergency bail out, one AFF, one tandem, and now a 2nd tandem.

He did two AFF's for sure. After the first one (using a specially built Telesis container and Alti II IIRC), he was awarded an honorary D license. The second one is when he hit his head in the Skyvan on exit.

He did two AFF's for sure...

I am pretty sure it was his sixth jump overall:

1st jump, 1944 or so, emergency jump during WWII.

2nd jump, 1997, AFF, I believe on the anniversary of the 1st jump

3rd jump, 1999, AFF, for his 75th birthday

4th jump and 5th jump, 2004, tandems (he did AFF training but winds were too high), for Reagan's funeral/his 80th birthday

6th jump, 2007, tandem, for the reopening of his presidential library
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

The Bush presidential museum first opened on the Texas A&M University campus 10 years ago. It's been mostly closed since April for a 8.3 million dollar facelift.

What I want to know is why a virtually brand-new museum already needs a taxpayer-funded $8.3 million facelift?

What I want to know is why a virtually brand-new museum already needs a taxpayer-funded $8.3 million facelift?

In Texas? I expect they didn't use union labor to build it.:)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

In Texas? I expect they didn't use union labor to build it.:)

I may take offense to that remark. :(:o In Texas we consider ourselves lucky that, in general, we don't have to fuss with the union BS. Our workforce here rivals any union forces and at a third the cost. B|B| However, my guess is they DID use union labor. Just as they do on most government jobs.
:P:P

He did two AFF's for sure...

I am pretty sure it was his sixth jump overall:

1st jump, 1944 or so, emergency jump during WWII.

2nd jump, 1997, AFF, I believe on the anniversary of the 1st jump

3rd jump, 1999, AFF, for his 75th birthday

4th jump and 5th jump, 2004, tandems (he did AFF training but winds were too high), for Reagan's funeral/his 80th birthday

6th jump, 2007, tandem, for the reopening of his presidential library

I don't care how many jumps he has overall; doing more than one tandem is just crazy. A rig. I want a rig. None of that, "let me clip you in" stuff. Huh-uh.
TPM Sister #102

"we don't have to fuss with the union BS"
Because of union BS, you probably have weekends off and only work 8 hours a day.

As a FORMER OP&CMIA 143 member, don't get me started!!!! The AMERICAN (like there are others) unions have long abused and killed what USE to be a GREAT ideal! Our country was NOT built on "8 hour days" and "weekends off"....enuf said!________ : DD

edit here to add: HATS off to GHWBush for doing His part to have fun and show off to His peers.... WooHoo YiPPee B|

Hey Jewels,
When I turn 83, You and I are going to do a head down demo jump into the wind tunnel parking lot for a tunnel type birthday party!!!B|
Bush is invited if he lives that long...

It's a deal. ;) Bush can do a tandem if he prefers but none of that for me. It gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it, even with a TI that I trust. But it's your job to get the airplane for this little bandit jump of yours.
TPM Sister #102