steve1

What's a better analogy for Wuffos?

"Why would anyone want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane!"......"That's the last thing I'd ever want to do!"

(Hypothetical response #1) Well then, I guess you've accomplished everything. You've lived you life. I'm still living mine.

(Hypothetical response #2) I'm with you on that one. If I were a person like you, I wouldn't do it either.

- David

Get on living or get on dying, because "someday" never comes.

Hey Steve, I tell em that there is no such thing as a perfectly good airplane. Thats why parachutes were invented. Plus I'd rather land myself than let somebody else do it for me. Very cool to do a demo into your school though. I bet the kids think you are some hot stuff.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

I don't even bother anymore....

Just agree with them! Pretend you are one of them!

Try this>>>

Whuffo: I would never jump out of a perfectly good airplane!

You: Yeah! Those guys are CRAZY!

"Even if the parachute opens when they land it is just like jumping off of a two story building!"

And then tell them a story about how this guy who used to be a friend of someone you used to know jumped and his parachute "failed to open"

They totally won't get it but you can smile on the inside.

True words of wisdom:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=185970#185970

A "whuffo" is someone (skydiver or not) who can't break out of their mental mold and understand that not everyone approaches life the same way they do. I've met them everywhere (even at the DZ--fewer of them there, but there are still some).

Think about it.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Hi Steve,

All good answers here. I get asked that question alot. My response depends on the company I am in. Basically I go with there are no perfectly good airplanes. But my best response is "I can not explain it to you because it would be like trying to explain sex to a virgin." Try that one and see what type of response you get. ;)

-Why do you jump out out a perfectly good airplane?
-I once had to endure our pilot's landing and that was some scarry shit, I'm never doing that again!

B|

-I love taking off in an airplane but I'm scared senseless about landing in one!

:)
-Well, the feeling is on equal level to great sex and do you usually say no to great sex?

:ph34r:

Blue skies!

Anders Samuelsson
www.anderssamuelsson.se

"Why would anyone want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane!"......"That's the last thing I'd ever want to do!"....ha, ha, ha.

Then this other guy starts agreeing with him.

I actually don't run into many people that ask this question anymore. I have a few skydiving photos amongst others on the wall in my office and the only conversations they have started were with people who did maybe a couple dozen jumps way back when, so there was some understanding. But I did head a university skydiving club for a year (which involved sitting at a lot of booths and answering questions) so I have a few responses I'd use depending on how sporting the person was being about it. Remember, they're indirectly calling you an idiot, and they think that makes them clever. Your response should indirectly call them something else, be creative.

"It was the natural next step after I turned off my perfectly good television and got up from my perfectly good couch."

When asked why you jump out out a perfectly good airplane. I usually say you havent seen our plane up close. If its a real obnoxious person add your area of expertise is obviously not in aircraft. I like to reply to someones statement about "if God wanted us to fly we would have been born with wings" People should stay in bars watching their fourth football game on TV drunk like God intended, then drive home and hope they dont get busted.The comment about the only thing thar comes out of the sky is bird shit and fools, add drunken deer hunters out of tree stands. It usually slows them down.

Had one of those this past weekend in the area. Fell 20' (according to the news report0 and dies. The strap holding his stand broke. Maintain your gear.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

>You: Yeah! Those guys are CRAZY! . . .Even if the parachute opens
>when they land it is just like jumping off of a two story building!

Yep! I have 5500 jumps, and I've been seriously injured hundreds of times. Why, I've even been killed over a dozen times because my chute didn't open.

Just look at them with amused tolerance and affection,
pat them on the head and tell them to run along and play.

I have wanted to do that to one of my co workers... also here is s good one.

"I am training for that day when the plane is not any good."
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

"It was the natural next step after I turned off my perfectly good television and got up from my perfectly good couch."

I am so using that.

When people ask me, I just tell them "because I like to." Establishes that their personal opinion means nothing to me, that their question has an obvious answer, and that they are stupid to ask merely to hear themselves talk.

Once or twice I've asked "Why do you have to ask a F*)@#%! clichéd question?"

(Whuffos can't even wonder originally).

I don't think there are any good analogies. Everything else falls short of skydiving.
Let's go to candy mountain.