yjumpinoz

Traveling with weights

The last time I traveled the airlines with my gear, I forgot that I had my weight vest with me and it took some talking to get them to let me carry it on with me. I know that it looked suspicious. I am sure if I checked it they would get in the bag anyway. Anyone have experience with this or suggestions?

I put mine in my checked luggage. Every time I've had weights in my bag, my bag has been searched (TSA puts little cards in there to tell you), but everything has always been put back into my bag and arrived at my destination without incident. I check them partly to avoid the hassle from security and partly because they're heavy and I dont' want to carry them everywhere. I'm short and my rig is heavy enough to maneuver around over my head in the plane without adding 5-10 pounds of lead!

The last time I traveled the airlines with my gear, I forgot that I had my weight vest with me and it took some talking to get them to let me carry it on with me. I know that it looked suspicious. I am sure if I checked it they would get in the bag anyway. Anyone have experience with this or suggestions?

Were you wearing it?

I always check my weights. Hasn;t been a problem.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Whenever I travel with weights I either:

Carry on: remove the weights ahead of time from my luggage and put them through the scanner separately. They'll always take a look at them, and often swipe them. Once in Phoenix I had trouble where they wouldn't let me take them on and said I'd need to check them -- went through another security line with no problems -- otherwise, I've probably flown 20-25 times now with them with no problems.

Check: Put them in the luggage right on top, so they find them easily when the open the bag. Like the poster previously, they ALWAYS look, and I've never had trouble losing, but I try and make it as easy as possible for them to find it.
www.rhythmskydiving.com

I did the carry-on approach and just warned the screener ahead of time that I had weights in the bag. Word didn't get passed down to the guy doing x-ray, though, and you should've seen how big his eyes got when that came through! However, I got his attention and told him it was a weight belt. They pulled it out, looked at it, asked me if I was a SCUBA diver (:S) and sent me on my way. Coming back was no problem. I told them in advance what I had and they looked at it but weren't concerned. Hope your travel goes as smoothly!

TPM Sister #102

JaNette and I just took a flight with our gear last night. She tried to carry on her weights, and this time the agent said we had to check them because the belt is too heavy, and could be used as a bludgeon. We never heard that one before.

We calmly asked to speak with her supervisor, who explained the same. We asked, "What if we take the weights out of the belt (they are removable), and put them in separate carry-on bags?" They agreed to that, even though we clearly could have reassembled the thing a minute later.

I think the point is, if they want to make you check your weights, they will. But if you are calm and friendly, they will usually let you through.

Whenever I travel with weights I either:

Carry on: remove the weights ahead of time from my luggage and put them through the scanner separately. They'll always take a look at them, and often swipe them. Once in Phoenix I had trouble where they wouldn't let me take them on and said I'd need to check them -- went through another security line with no problems -- otherwise, I've probably flown 20-25 times now with them with no problems.

Check: Put them in the luggage right on top, so they find them easily when the open the bag. Like the poster previously, they ALWAYS look, and I've never had trouble losing, but I try and make it as easy as possible for them to find it.

Team Website: www.rhythmskydiving.com

I've had problems with my weights in the past where they wouldn't let me on the plane with them because they were a potential weapon:S. Now I'm living out of suitcases and without weights, it's been easy enough to rent/borrow when I needed two, and I already end up paying overweight charges a lot of the time just because I've got my life with me in two suitcases

I got nuthin

No matter what I am doing with the rest of my gear, I always carry on my weight belt. Before I go through security, I warn them that "THIS IS WEIGHT FOR DIVING"....It is easier for them to understand diving weight than skydiving weight... :P

Lead weight in your checked luggage is a GUARANTEE they will open your bag. Remember, x-rays CAN NOT see through lead, so they will open it every time. The less TSA handles my stuff the better!

Just another reason I hate to travel with my gear...heavy heavy heavy:|