Andievh

Malfunction drill: One or two hands to cut-away?

Hi All

Had my first malfunction this weekend. It was a line twist. Tried to kick it out but it turned into a spinning malfunction getting progressively worse by the second. Made decision to cut away. First I tried to pull cut-away puff with one hand, this didn't work, so used two hands. Being cognisant of altitude loss with spiraling I immediatly pulled reserve handle (no RSL installed), not waiting for correct body position etc.

In my training I was taught, "arch, look, handles, right, left, arch" - so one hand on cut-away puff one hand on reserve handle. Have heard that some folks say use two hands to cut-away. Suppose each situation should be treated differently.

Any opinions?

PS: Reason for line twist in the first place probably was a bad body position on deployment or a shitty pack job (both me).

Do what you have practiced and are comfortable with....

I was trained to look red, grab red, look silver, pull red, then pull silver - never taking my eyes off the handles.

once I was had my 'a' license I retrained to - grab red, grab silver, pull red, pull silver....

even after the re-training, my first high speed mal I went right back to my first jump training....two hands on each handle.

after the first, its always been one hand on each handle (I have had six mals)

but in my practiced "EP's" I keep in mind that I may have to use two hands to cut away.

I havent't had to use two hands on a single handle to either cutaway or to activate the reserve (yet)

I jump a icarus 85' at 2.1 to 1 wingloading, the last mal I had was spinning linetwists, it still chopped easily

and yes, each situation is different, similar mal's can be very different.

Any opinions?***

you jumped, you lived, good job !!! buy your beer and go jump again :)

Roy

PS: your tossing a bunch of nylon and string into a very strong wind.... and hoping it works.... sometimes shit happens... doesnt mean your packjob or body position was bad..... but between the two choices....chances are its body position

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

> Have heard that some folks say use two hands to cut-away.

That's what I teach. A few reasons:

1) If your hand slips off the cutaway handle you won't automatically pull the reserve (and give you a two out)

2) Often, as in your case, it takes two hands to get the cutaway handle out. By putting two hands on it to begin with, you don't have to improvise.

Both methods can work as long as you train them well and do things like peel first (helps especially with one handed cutaways) and verify cutaway handle fully extracted before pulling reserve.

>"arch, look, handles, right, left, arch"

Which is fine - again, as long as you don't train "right, left" so hard that you pull right, then pull left even if the right handle doesn't come out.

First off... you're walkin', so good job and don't let anyone tell you any different.

Second... there's been several threads here on this topic, including a Poll that I can think of too, so you may wish to do a bit of searching and read what folks have to say there... if you're interested, that is.

Third... personally, I was taught one hand per handle... look red, grasp red, look silver, grasp silver, pull red, pull silver, arch... and that's what I've done on all 3 of my cut-aways / reserve rides and its worked, obviously. ;) To continue... if one has been taught the "one hand per handle" or the "two hands per handle" method, my 2 cents has always been stick to what you've been trained on and (persumably) always practice. Either method has its Pros and Cons, but either method would seem to be about evenly used / taught and work evenly well.

>
2) Often, as in your case, it takes two hands to get the cutaway handle out. By putting two hands on it to begin with, you don't have to improvise.

I was in a severe flat-spin and was so compressed into my harness, that I needed both hands to feel for my cutaway pillow....it was jammed under the edge of my helmet. After locating it (above my shoulder)...the leverage just wasn't there, to pull with only one hand.

In a hard-spinning mal, you'll likely be forced outward and into the harness webs, tightly sandwiching the velcro of the cutaway. It can make "peeling" impossible, let alone a straight-pull. Try it....

...have a buddy stretch the web of your harness (with cutaway) tightly over their thigh and with reasonable downward pressure...then try to peel or pull. I currently use a small slip of paper, to disengage about one-third to half of the velcro on my handles...just in case.
"T'was ever thus."

You're on the proper side of the grass so what you did worked.

A couple of observations though -

1. Your profile indicates you are jumping a Hurricane. This canopy is not in my neck of the woods so I cant talk from experience, however it is an elliptical. An elliptical on someone with your jump numbers and body weight may cause more difficulties than anticipated, especially if soft housings are involved. If you haven't already, have a chat with your rigger or Chief Instructor if Gear / Experience was a factor.

2. The Emergency Procedures Drill that is first taught (be it one hand/handle or two hands/handle) is generally the one remembered under stress as it is the one most practiced (muscle memory kicks in). If you are contemplating changing what you were taught, again have the discussion with the Chief Instructor on your DZ.

It is easy to get advise from the internet and Lord knows it is an opinionated bunch. However, truth be told, without the context of knowing you and your ability/experience, the advice and a couple of bucks will get you a coffee.

Good job on living though! Keep it up ;)

Major Dad
CSPA D-579