gNemo

Skydiving - the life, the women

The skydiving as a lifestyle thread made me create this thread. I am fairly young (21) and it makes me wonder if a girl would ever stick to a skydiver for good. Are there a lot of married jumpers out there? How do you think your sex- and relationship-life was affected by skydiving?

Women are more attracted to guys who are interesting, skydiving definitely separates us from the other guys. Women like to play the field, so a long-term relationship is unlikely. Find a woman thats never been with a skydiver and your chances of getting laid are likely ;) They usually don't go for the guys that blend in with the crowd, it definitely differentiates us from the others.

But I only have one jump and uspa course 1 training so what the hell do i know

skydiving definitely separates us from the other guys.

So does being a horse trainer or a mechanic or a doctor or someone who's really good at darts. You're special... just like everyone else. [Crazy]

Find a woman thats never been with a skydiver and your chances of getting laid are likely

And you get this from where?

Sure there are some women out there who will be intrigued if they find out you're a skydiver. There are others who couldn't give a shit. If you wander around talking to people about like you think it makes you special or different or better, you'll just come off like you're up yourself, and nobody likes that.

But I only have one jump and uspa course 1 training so what the hell do i know

That's about the most accurate thing you said in that post.

Skydiving makes for a useful conversation starter on the odd occasion, but it's not like you can just walk up to people (male or female) and tell them you're a skydiver and have them instantly think you're the coolest thing since sliced cheese. Read this thread and see what the average skydiver experience is in talking about skydiving to their non-skydiver friends, family and colleagues.

Realistically, if you were a ladies man before you started skydiving, then you'll still be a ladies man after becoming a skydiver. If you had trouble with the ladies before you became a skydiver, simply becoming a skydiver won't help you. You'll still need to learn how to meet women and that's a whole separate skill.

A few of them are at my place.

Yeah...but ya need a shovel and a map if ya wanna meet 'em! :P

I thought that was how you got to your resting placehouse?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

To your original question: I've met a lot of married skydivers, at least at the DZ where I jump. And pregnant skydiving chicks who can't jump because the belly is in the way, and proud skydiving fathers who post pictures of their little ones on DZ.com, and movie clips of 5-year old sitflyers in the wind tunnel. This leads to the conclusion that skydivers have normal family life like everyone else. (and messy divorces and breakups and unhappy marriages just like everyone else)
;)

I'm guessing that hard openings could affect the sex life, at least temporarily, but what do I know, I have a quality canopy, and haven't had any really bad ones yet.

:D

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

A few of them are at my place.

Yeah...but ya need a shovel and a map if ya wanna meet 'em! :P

haha, that was a good one.
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way."
- Homer Simpson

There has been a lot of discussion on skydiver no-skydiver relationships. It depends on the persons I'd guess.

I just broke up with my girlfriend because we were totally different on many sides. She was worried about our relationship since I'm all into the sport and I'm training to get on the national team. The consequence is that I hardly use money on anything else then skydiving. It became an issue and I decided that it was hopeless and that the relationship wouldn't last more then next season. But other then our differences, she's a great girl and let me be the one I am and I still care for her and like her.

My tip would be to find a girl/dude that respect your hobby and let's you keep doing it, but you'll need something else in common for it to work.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

I did not start jumping until I was 40 and had a bad accident in 2006. I have been married for 20 years and she stood by my side threw recovery and she said she would be there if i manage to get back to jumping next year.
STEP OUT AND FEEL THE RUSH!!!! LATER
SKYBOMB

...it makes me wonder if a girl would ever stick to a skydiver for good.

All you have to do is find a girl the doesn't mind you working all week with the sole intention of being gone all weekend, coming back ~ broke, drunk and smelling like a goat.

...Not always easy to find, unless of course you can lick your eyebrows too! :$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

The skydiving as a lifestyle thread made me create this thread. I am fairly young (21) and it makes me wonder if a girl would ever stick to a skydiver for good. Are there a lot of married jumpers out there? How do you think your sex- and relationship-life was affected by skydiving?

Its a tough balancing act, between familly life with a wife, and the orgies that are happening at the DZ every weekend. As long as she can video, she is cool with it, so I would just say that its simply a case of finding what works for you.
Remster

I've been jumping for about 34 years, and I don't see skydiving love/marriage/relationships as substantially different than in the non-skydiving crowd. People come and go, love comes and goes, people change, passions change... My best friends in the world are those that I skydive with though. Probably because I hang out with them more than others.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Lots of skydivers are happily married to non-skydiving spouses.

Skydiving is a big time and money sink, just like golf or skiing. You need to balance the comittment. One day a week-end instead of two still leaves plenty of time for jumping. You'll want to balance jumping and non-jumping vacations.

Skydiving is more likely to kill you than golf but less likely than riding motorcycles. With a spouse you might choose to accept less risk than you would as a single person. This doesn't rule out skydiving (or even BASE jumping) but may limit the size of canopy you fly or whether you want an AAD in all your rigs.

While not a lot of women skydive, you're more likely to be around young single females than in other sports and have to be more visibly very married to avoid trouble.

Skydiving is harder to explain to non-participants than other sports. While accurate "We dress up in rainbow colored outfits and hold hands" doesn't really capture it. Whuffos think its a bit like square dancing with more wind and odder clothing. A wind tunnel helps "Oh, it's HARD to fly around like that."

It is smellier than hobbies like playing poker (in a non-smoking environment). You'll need to shower after coming home to get rid of the jet-fuel smell.

While not a lot of women skydive, you're more likely to be around young single females than in other sports and have to be more visibly very married to avoid trouble.

Where have you been jumping!?!?
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way."
- Homer Simpson

I think as Drew touched on it - the successful skydiver in a relationship has learned to balance their lives. Mine seems to accept and respect my sport. She's working on becoming certified as a packer but doesn't really want to take a FJC. She enjoyed some tandems so far. How does one make sense of that? No idea but I'm keeping her!

So part of the mixture is also to find a woman who is happy to see you involved in a sport you enjoy.

-Michael

Skydiving is more likely to kill you than golf but less likely than riding motorcycles.

The death rate (1 in 1000 per year) is about the same for both. But unless you're a TM, the SO can't get on the back seat. The two can RW or FF together for 60 seconds at a time, but can't ride Skyline to Alice's on separate bikes for an afternoon ride.

I think we'll agree though that saying you're a golfer is far less likely to impress the ladies than either of the other two. Not the best pickup line.