ChrisG

Richmond Boogie

The boogie was fun of course for the 200 or so of us mostly 40+ hard core, saggy titty, limpy dick old farts that refuse to quit skydiving.
There was some youngsters around, but their absence was apparent. Thats too bad for them, we KNOW how to have a good time. The only problem with that is our ladies (and men) are too embarrased to display their bodys around the fire anymore, and they have built up an incredible tolerance to alcohol, the result being decreased nudity. The whole boogie went by without one naked dance line! That sucks.

It probably didn't help that our new corporate mega-buck DZ 30 miles away, with a below the belt sucker punch, offered discounted jumps, free dinner, free band, free SUPER-SKYGOD organizers and other goodies with NO registration fee.
On top of that, the person running said DZ happens to be our conference director. Way to go guys, your stab at the Richmond boogie, the longest running tradition in skydiving, is contrary to the words you are speaking. You could be supporting it, for the betterment of skydiving, not trying to undermine it for the betterment of your DZ.
Remind me to vote next election, we dont need that kind of conference director. One who didnt even take the time to visit the largest event in his conference, only 40 minutes away. Too busy I guess.
I've heard them guys have grand dreams, most of which will probably be fulfilled, except one. They can never replace the Richomon Boogie, they can only destroy it.

Good day,
Chris

the person running said DZ happens to be our conference director. Way to go guys, your stab at the Richmond boogie, the longest running tradition in skydiving, is contrary to the words you are speaking. You could be supporting it, for the betterment of skydiving, not trying to undermine it for the betterment of your DZ.

didnt even take the time to visit the largest event in his conference, only 40 minutes away. Too busy I guess.

Expect more of the same in the future. It seems to be an SOP over there.

with a below the belt sucker punch, offered discounted jumps, free dinner, free band, free SUPER-SKYGOD organizers and other goodies with NO registration fee.

Wow. Those bastards. That's like creating a massive week-long boogie in the same state and same week as another existing one. Or even within a few days of. What are these pricks thinking?! These people and their stupid ideas will ruin the sport.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

In defense of this particular USPA board member, I had a freaking blast at the new DZ in question. That was our first time meeting him, and we had a couple of lengthy discussions (well, he talked, we listened) about USPA board, policies, etc. Although I disagreed with him about a few little things, for the most part, his mind is in the right place, he busts his ass in that position, and I had a lot of respect for his input (and total willingness to piss off other board members as needed).

I hope to pick his brain even more that what I had the chance to over the weekend.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

In defense of this particular USPA board member, I had a freaking blast at the new DZ in question. That was our first time meeting him, and we had a couple of lengthy discussions (well, he talked, we listened) about USPA board, policies, etc. Although I disagreed with him about a few little things, for the most part, his mind is in the right place, he busts his ass in that position, and I had a lot of respect for his input (and total willingness to piss off other board members as needed).

I hope to pick his brain even more that what I had the chance to over the weekend.

In light of the original post, I'm wondering what he had to say about the Richmond Boogie.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

He didn't say anything about the Richmond Boogie... he had just finished one rating course (coach, I think?) and was just starting a tandem instructor course, plus managing the DZ and working. We didn't get the chance to talk with him a lot until Monday afternoon... he was very very busy.

My impression was that he had no intention of undermining the Richmond boogie. Even though we had planned to hit that DZ over Labor Day weekend for months, I had no idea that anything was planned. They called it a labor day boogie, but it really wasn't boogie ish. Just an excuse for more drinking and discounted jump tickets. Sure as hell didn't seem like he was trying to compete with Richmond.... I could be way off base on that, but it's the impression that both my husband and I had while there.

Honestly, both my husband and I had a great deal of respect for him by the end of the weekend just watching him work with students, other jumpers, running the DZ, and listening to his philosophies of skydiving as a whole.

I've had a brainstorm....
:)
All you DZOs out there! Attention!

I have a calendar. Boogie dates are going for $50 per date.

Exclusive dates!

First Come, First Served!

Get your Boogie date today!

Think it will work?
Should I open up a new bank account?
:D:D:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

He didn't say anything about the Richmond Boogie... he had just finished one rating course (coach, I think?) and was just starting a tandem instructor course, plus managing the DZ and working. We didn't get the chance to talk with him a lot until Monday afternoon... he was very very busy.

That explains it I guess..... the regional director was so damned busy with his own DZ that he didn't remember that The Richmond boogie was happening in his backyard and he was also so busy that he should be excused from going over to talk to the other jumpers visiting his region about their view points and opinions.

Nothing more than should be expected from a guy who shafted the people who encouraged his nomination and voted for him, huh?
Owned by Remi #?

That explains it I guess..... the regional director was so damned busy with his own DZ that he didn't remember that The Richmond boogie was happening in his backyard and he was also so busy that he should be excused from going over to talk to the other jumpers visiting his region about their view points and opinions.

Nothing more than should be expected from a guy who shafted the people who encouraged his nomination and voted for him, huh?

That's not the impression I had at all of him. He MADE time to talk with us. He listened to our opinions (and I differed with him on a couple of things and wasn't shy about telling him what I thought). He didn't agree with me, but was respectful of my differing opinions.

I don't know why he didn't go to the Richmond Boogie, but why don't you call or email him and ask him yourself instead of making gross assumptions? He seemed very straightforward and approachable. Verbally condemning him without asking him directly and finding out the truth seems rather immature to me.

the regional director was so damned busy with his own DZ that he didn't remember that The Richmond boogie was happening in his backyard and he was also so busy that he should be excused from going over to talk to the other jumpers visiting his region about their view points and opinions.

I happen to know of a previous regional director who despite being busy with HER own DZ, where she is an integral memeber of the instructional staff, made time to visit a much smaller boogie at a competing DZ in her own backyard.

Not only did she go and talk to the people, she jumped and participated in a swoop competition.

At some point you have to draw the line between business obligations, and USPA obligations. If you are unable of unwilling to do that, then membership on the BOD is not for you.

Jen,
Of course he's a nice guy, you're his customer. That wasn't the point anyway, and more than likely, he wasn't the one that made the decision.
By your comments, I could tell you have a complete lack of knowledge of the local skydiving scene, and you don't understand the history of what is going on.
One comment you made did ring a bell though. That being- "his willingness to piss off the BOD if necessary". Hmmmm, I thought the BOD was supposed to work together and reach a consensus on whats the best for the membership. Pissing people off is counterproductive.

And, why are you even in this discussion Popsjumper?

I spent several weeks flying at the dz you're talking about this spring and have had many lengthy conversations with the director in question about USPA stuff. I firmly believe that he is trying to do what is best for the future of the sport. His main goal is to train good skydivers and instructors and at that he is very capable. As for the board needing to work together, this is true, but it is equally important for individual board members to stand up and say "this is bs" when it is. The "good ol' boy" syndrome another poster mentioned in this thread is alive and well at the board level as well and I don't mind seeing someone in there to shake it up a bit.

As for scheduling an event the same weekend as the Richmond Boogie I agree that is foolish. The fun jumpers are the ones that lose because they are forced to choose. It would be much better to spread it out so they can attend both events. This would also show a mutual respect between the area dropzones. Where I come from it's not uncommon for neighboring dropzones to all but shut down in support of each others events. This is a win win for everyone and I wish it was more common in other parts of the country.

-Dave

edit cause I spell like a tard.

Skydive Radio

a complete lack of knowledge of the local skydiving scene, and you don't understand the history of what is going on.

As do many "locals", who blindly support and vote for another ex-golden wheenie into a seat dispite the earlier fucking in the ass the region took from the other 5 (FIVE) ex-golden wheenies not so many years ago.

The real funny thing about it. is watching all the people who were pissed off about how the USPA tried to fuck over "their favorit longtime DZO" turn around and vote in someone who , acts like, talks like, the others who came before him, then you all act surprised his loyalties.

Had another friend with 17 years teaching students show up there and was told by the owner to take a AFF, the next week he was told in person, that "the owner don't hire or fire people here!" and if he wanted to jump there he had to pass this RD's check dive to make sure he is good enough. So I guess those USPA ratings earned wern't good enough to use at this USPA GM DZ ran by a USPA RD, or maybe it was because the ratings wern't earned thru his school?

I was also told by a friend (who I was standing next to on the porch in Z-hills when it happened) he (KL) asked this oldtimer I/E to sign a letter bad mouthing Rob Laidlaw and the current program, and then went on to discuess his "shaking it up" as another said.

The president of the MU Dropouts called me to ask me my thoughts about the email and phone call asking her to brake off the 35 year union between the Stewart family owned DZ's & the Dropouts, and move it to the new DZ at the start of this season.

My firends may have taken what was said out of context, I Don't Know. But I have known these people for a number of years and they are not know to me to be liers.

I didn't vote for him, and I won't vote for him or any other ex-golden wheenie to a seat on the BOD of USPA, we have too many already and they needed to go years ago! I also won't be surprised when a sitting one acts with a personal agenda or sells out the membership for their knight buddys.

I used to have respect and have known many a GK over the years, however the acts of a few have shown me, no reason to respect or trust any of them, now or in the future.

As for Mr. Lowmiller, he has to earn my respect and my vote as a member, by his actions and by his voting on issues. So far I'm still on the side of the fence where I was before he won (see above), and I could care less if they had a boogie at the same time as Richmond.

I really didn't miss anyone that Chris may have, most all my friends were there and we had a great time, even if we are a bunch of limp dick, saggie titted, fat old fuckers who take till noon to get a load up, we're only in it for the fun now days and really don't want to waste our time dealing with over inflated egos who think skydiving has to be done by a text book or if your not doing compatition you don't matter or are only in the way.

We just want to have fun, so get over yourselfs already your not curing cancer or some other meaningful addition to mankind, it's jumping out of an airplane, that's it!
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

As for scheduling an event the same weekend as the Richmond Boogie I agree that is foolish.

Sanity check here people: it was scheduled for Labor Day ... every turbine DZ in the country has some kind of Labor Day get together. And fun jumpers win - not everyone wants to jump at a mega-corporate DZ, they want to see their friends. Not everyone wants to pay a registration fee for free beer, all-night parties, and wider aircraft selection. How is choice a bad thing? Hell, they're less than 2 hours from each other, you could go to both if you wanted.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Think it will work?
Should I open up a new bank account?

Oooh, you'll make millions on this one! Hope you have your Paypal account set up :P

Yipeeee!
My DZO bought ALL the dates! We're gonna have a rockin' time all year!

Sorry about all you other guys. FIFO in action.

PS: With what the DZO paid and what I have in my pocket, I still need $0.11 to buy a Coke.
[:/]
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

You make a good point about choice being a good thing. I'm only saying that when neighboring dz's support each others events it makes for a better atmosphere overall in the area. I know I always enjoyed jumping with fun jumpers and staff from the other area dz's that I didn't spend my normal weekends at.

Skydive Radio

Hi Dave,
You hit the nail right on the head. Its the fun jumpers that lose. The following is not directed to you, I'm just venting on what I think is wrong with our sport.

Since I do not know what his agenda is, I cannot comment on whether I think his ideas are better. Maybe they are, but I suspect his ideas are more oriented to money.
Does his ideas include ways to retain all the young jumpers? Like lowering the costs so they can afford it? Or is he for expanding training programs to make sure they extract as much as possible from each person?
Thats all these ex-military lifer types want to do. Train, train, train. "Excel at your highest level" type of crap. They want to train you up (for a fee) until you're an expert, just like the military. Forget about learning on your own, you must pay to be trained.
Young jumpers cannot progress up the ladder the way the system is set up now, too friggin much training required. The cost of AFF is outrageous, and the progression is only about 10 times more complicated than it should be, preventing many from participating in the sport.
Nowadays, it seems they expect you to be able to do 4 ways to get an A licence, where all thats really necessary is to be stable, do turns, and get yourself to the ground safely. An A licence is now where a C licence used to be. Why?. because of excessive training thats why.
They fool people into thinking they will be good skydivers, if they only spend $3,000 to do it. How dissapointing it must be to the many of those that spent the money on AFF, with promises of being good, and then discovered they weren't.

If I see my conference director, I may ask- "What are your ideas on how to lower training costs and to make it easier to advance, so we can get more fun jumpers to stick"? Or maybe Kip would like to post on this forum what his ideas are for advancing the sport and our most pressing problem- retaining fun jumpers.

Back to the new DZ. They have spent so much money that to remain profitable, they will need to suck up all available tandems in the area. A Caravan and 10 brand new tandem rigs aint cheap baby, and this aint the Chicago metro area. I heard a rumor that they are buying an Otter too. Must be nice.
Something will have to give. Big BIG changes are coming if this business model works for them. The future of skydiving may be in the hands of corporations, with only corporate financed Skydiving Mega-Centers to go to.

What do you think?