tntsawers

2 Stage Flare

:|:|:|:|

Talk to your instructor.

:P

Dude, I give you a compliment, I was impressed with your knowledge - and invite you to teach us all and so we all could learn more... But you reply with my most hated statement on the internet.:P We have to assume that everyone on here, from one to 1,000,000 jumps, will not attempt something they fully don't understand without learning fully about it. It is not my job to hide information from someone by saying "talk to your instructor" because there is no magical time when we stop learning from everyone else.

I was just joking man. I understood your post, but wanted to post a humorous reply myself.

I have, however, learned to stay away from challenges on the forums, as most of them are just from people trying to see if they can make a sub-low-timer look stupid. Any mention of jump numbers sends up a red flag for me.

My real answer was something to the effect of inertia, angular momentum, and gravity constantly working to put the pilot under the canopy. I came across this in my experience (don't laugh) after trying to get a Manta 260 to stall. I would hold full deflection for 15 seconds and nothing would happen. So, I thought about how to get the canopy structure unstable, and tried to do it with a fast transition...and it worked. Scott Miller and I talked about it during a break in his Essential Skills course and he explained how a dynamic stall works. I tried making that same change in the first stage of my two-stage flare and it got me out in front faster while still giving me plenty of toggle stroke to finish the flare.
[Disclaimer: Doing anything that I mentioned above may kill you, don't do what I did, don't read the forums, go talk to your instructor!] (my attempt at a disclaimer to keep the noob patrol at bay)

PS - I actually skipped the parts of Brians book that dealt with swooping as I was trying to stay with the mantra of..."asking my instructor". :P

It's all cool.

- David

Would you at least agree that if his profile is correct he should not be giving advice on landing on the internet?:D

Would you at least agree that I never gave advice?

Even when asked about my knowledge, I deferred.

I've learned my lesson man. No need to pound me indirectly.

- David

Would you at least agree that if his profile is correct he should not be giving advice on landing on the internet?:D

If you're talking about David...no. Anybody else? If they have fewer jumps than I do, then yes.
:D:D:S

Speaking of David....it's gotten to the point of being scared to answer his questions...One of these days he's going to figure out just how stupid I am (if he hasn't already). I oftentimes wonder if sending the youngsters to him instead of the instructors is a better idea. I wish he would hurry up and get a rating so that his naysayers would back off.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I have just purchased a new main and am being advised to use the 2 stage flare. Can someone explain to me what this is, and how i go about doing it??

Assuming your profile is correct with a B license, 97 jumps and 4 years in the sport...it makes me wonder - why do you not know what that is? It makes me question your interest in learning about skydiving up to this point. It makes my nutz shrivel thinking that you are one of those who think skydiving is nothing more than a jump and a pull and a meeting with the earth.
Bad ju-ju.

How do you flare your canopy now?

What canopy were you flying before you bought this one?

First stage is to your shoulders, when you lose your foward speed and start decending again you finish your flare. I didnt know this was specific to a canopy though.

According to Scott Miller, if I remember correctly you're supposed to practice flares in the air and try to find the best position for the first stage and it is different for everyone according to the canopy, lines and that sort of thing. Though I could be completely wrong, that is what I gathered from the course. He does have you practice flares at different speeds and positions. There is no single rule of "stop your first stage here" that I've heard of.

I know I took that class and the first jump we made in the course was the best landing I ever had. I nailed the student circle pretty consistently and have had way more stand up landings ever sense. I don't think I've had a belly landing or any completely botched landing like in the past since then.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Dont judge a book by its cover!!! it took me 4 dedicated years to get my A licence due to army comitments . Most of then 97 jumps have been achieved in the last few months. I love jumping and its not just another jump,pull, and meet the ground. If it was then i wouldnt bother spending the money

Dont judge a book by its cover!!! it took me 4 dedicated years to get my A licence due to army comitments . Most of then 97 jumps have been achieved in the last few months. I love jumping and its not just another jump,pull, and meet the ground. If it was then i wouldnt bother spending the money

This post indicates an entirely different approach/attitude. I am relieved.
Congrats on your Army commitments. My hat is off to you.

who are you kidding? You're old, your nuts are shriveled anyway.:D

:D:D
True. Your time is coming. Mrs. RoamingDZ.com is gonna trade you in on a newer model in the not-too-distant future.

I don't think I've had a belly landing or any completely botched landing like in the past since then.

Well then...could I trade you some of mine...just to even out the playing field?

You can't get much better practical application than what BillVon tells.

You can't get much better for the theoretical than what Tdog says about reading/listening to Brian Germaine.

I defer to the pros.

I don't think I've had a belly landing or any completely botched landing like in the past since then.

Well then...could I trade you some of mine...just to even out the playing field?

Hell naw. ;)

I bet you've never seen landings like a few of mine. :D Imagine a slip and slide. I fell forward a few times during the first 10 or 20 jumps, and slid for who knows how far on my stomach. I didn't get so much as a scratch on me, but that just wasn't natural. :o I've heard of crash and burns, but that's just crazy. It kind of freaks you out when you stand up and notice a small tree trunk about 3/4" thick that you could have landed on.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan