tntsawers

Phsico Packing

...Only wanted to stress the point that it's worthwhile taking care & paying attention when packing...

...which is good advice for whatever packing method.
:)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

...I have had bad openings with Pro packs. Severe line twists, slammers, etc. I've had 1 slammer since I've been psycho packing and no line twists.

This tells me you know how to psycho pack and don't know how to Pro pack...probably the difference in rolling vs S-folding.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

physics don't lie, Force = mass X acceleration. acceleration is starting velocity, minus ending velocity, all over time. if you slow something in a shorter amount of time the acceleration increases and since mass is a constant, the force is increased. Basically meaning, longer openings equals softer openings. if you want a fast opening, try not rolling the tail. in my student days I did a shitty pack job on a Sabre 1, tail came unrolled putting it in the bag and when I pulled I was under a full canopy in about 200 feet with numb legs for the whole canopy ride down. better yet, why not jump reserves if you want fast openings, what's an extra 5 seconds in free fall really going to give you anyways? if people are that desperate go to a wind tunnel and fly for an hour. I wonder why a lot of people die in this sport, altitude is our friend.

physics don't lie, Force = mass X acceleration. acceleration is starting velocity, minus ending velocity, all over time. if you slow something in a shorter amount of time the acceleration increases and since mass is a constant, the force is increased. Basically meaning, longer openings equals softer openings. if you want a fast opening, try not rolling the tail. in my student days I did a shitty pack job on a Sabre 1, tail came unrolled putting it in the bag and when I pulled I was under a full canopy in about 200 feet with numb legs for the whole canopy ride down. better yet, why not jump reserves if you want fast openings, what's an extra 5 seconds in free fall really going to give you anyways? if people are that desperate go to a wind tunnel and fly for an hour. I wonder why a lot of people die in this sport, altitude is our friend.

Math is good but you need to check the incident reports to see why people are dieing in the sport.

WAG: the last 15 yr's the majority of deaths were from jumpers making errors on landing a perfectly good canopy.

Based on your math model large canopies with a very low wing loading would reduce more deaths than opening altitude:|

You are almost correct (certainly the maths is good) but a long opening does not always equate to a softwe one. That would only happen if the deceleration was constant-ish for the complete opening sequence.. You could get a very quick initial opening (BANG!!) and the a slow completion,

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

...I have had bad openings with Pro packs. Severe line twists, slammers, etc. I've had 1 slammer since I've been psycho packing and no line twists.

This tells me you know how to psycho pack and don't know how to Pro pack...probably the difference in rolling vs S-folding.

They were not my pack jobs, I used a paid packer every time I had those problems...but I know they Pro packed. And I paid someone to pack for me because I had such trouble getting it the canopy in the bag. So yes, I guess, I DON'T know how to properly pro pack because I struggled so much with it...but i tried to make it work for me, and became extremely frustrated. Regardless, I found that Psycho packing works better...for me.

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

I wasn't saying psycho is the same as trash... Just referring to the previous post where trash packing was mentioned.

Just wanted to clarify. You did not state that psycho packing was the same as trash packing but it was somewhat implied.

Only wanted to stress the point that it's worthwhile taking care & paying attention when packing...

I totally agree! B|

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

I am not too terribly familiar with the Psycho pack. Seen it, but never done it. Why not try a stack pack without rolling the nose. Also, keep the slider about 1" off of the attachment points. Like someone else said, I would look into the size of the slider and I would probably also consider larger slider gommets and brass-vs-steel grommets.

With my previous canopy (sabre 2 150), the slider was what affected the most my openings. I had a few slammers when I didn’t pay much attention to it. The problem disappeared after I started to expose it a lot more (pulling out its nose an opening it up) and making sure it’s spread out well (quarters) . If I wanted a quicker opening, I exposed the slider less. What solved my problem is exactly what popsjumper described earlier. I’ve never really tried psycho pack but it does look easier to put in the bag. I still pro-pack but I don’t put the all canopy at once in the bag. I make the 1st S-fold on the top of the canopy leaving the bottom flat on the ground. This is done easily once you knee on your canopy about 1/3 from the bottom. I put the 1st S-fold in the bag and make it nice and symmetrical. Then I make the last S-fold with the lower part and tuck it in after I checked the slider is all the way up. For those like me who cannot get the all thing at once neatly in the bag, it’s a lot easier. Once you get used to it, it can be a lot faster than fighting to keep everything together, especially for a new or big canopy.

My current canopy, Crossfire 2, opens slow (700 to 800 feet) and I like it that way. I always pull at 3K so it’s not a problem. But I can make it open faster if needed by playing with the slider. In case something doesn’t go quite right and I have to track longer and pull lower, I just don’t slow down my track as hard. Essentially, I pull while still moving forward. That makes my canopy open faster. That might not be a good thing with some canopies.

An experience packer is actually the best source of information for this kind of stuff. They know how to change the openings for many different canopies.

Hope some of this stuff can help.
Laurent - www.RhythmSkydiving.com

My spectre snivels for about 1000 ft if the nose is rolled so I was use to a little bit longer opening. I had pulled at 4k and under canopy at 2800ft. Altitude aware. Canopy was opening, just taking a long time to do so.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!