ryguy

Corliss Is Really Going To Jump W.O. Parachute

Sorry didn't check the Bonfire before posting

There's also one or two threads here in General Skydiving Discussions... I started one of them. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

No worries. It's kind of like the new jumper that posts a video about this guy that cuts away his main instead of deploying, then landing on some power lines. Nope, never seen that one before either.;)

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Jeb Corliss announces he finally has a real plan to do a wingsuit jump with out a parachute. He just needs the funding.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/12/12/earlyshow/leisure/celebspot/main3609758.shtml

Not to brush him in the same light, but it's much like the French guy who wants to take the high altitude record. Got to keep publicity up for the fund raising part. Certainly the incentive in talking with CBS.

IMO, if it takes $2m and a special runway to pull off, that's not a useful solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. Seems wasteful, even for a stunt. I found the jacuzzi bubbling theories more interesting.

Glad to hear he intends to carry a base rig for any attempts.

No worries. It's kind of like the new jumper that posts a video about this guy that cuts away his main instead of deploying, then landing on some power lines. Nope, never seen that one before either.;)

Wait, did you see the video of the guy who sets his parachute on fire? It's totally crazy!! :P
Signatures are the new black.

This one time at the DZ this REALLY experienced jumper tried to go big for the cameras and do something nobody has ever done before and he like TOTALLY biffed the landing and now we get to laugh at him every time we see the rerun on "Real TV."

Good Luck Bro :D

CSA #699 Muff #3804

Jeb Corliss announces he finally has a real plan to do a wingsuit jump with out a parachute. He just needs the funding.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/12/12/earlyshow/leisure/celebspot/main3609758.shtml

Funding???

Hell - I'll buy him the jump ticket. :D

Put me in for half.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I don't doubt the guy will do it ... once. The question is, can he do it twice?

Well, maybe one should ask if he can do it three times. Most folks taken on their aerial burial dives are making their last leap with out a parachute, so that would make two. So, yeah, guess he's got to do it three times then.
Zing Lurks

He's going to wear a rig. He just isn't planning on using it.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

If anyone can do it, he can. It will mean the realization of true human flight. Maybe it will be cumbersome and expensive, with the special runway & all. And probably very few people will ever try it - I know I won't. But consider for a moment that the Wright brothers' first flight was little more than 100 ft and they had to build a wooden track to launch their Flyer. It is from these small beginnings that great things follow.

In twenty years the damn kids will probably be making a nuisance of themselves with Corliss suits, the way they do with skateboards today. There will be bumperstickers proclaiming "Wingsuit swooping is NOT a crime".

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Funding???

Put me in for half.

Bozo is that half of the $2,000,000 jeb needs to build a landing ramp.B|
One Jump Wonder

Funding???

Put me in for half.

Bozo is that half of the $2,000,000 jeb needs to build a landing ramp.B|

nope.....just the jump ticket.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

It will mean the realization of true human flight. Maybe it will be cumbersome and expensive, with the special runway & all. And probably very few people will ever try it - I know I won't. But consider for a moment that the Wright brothers' first flight was little more than 100 ft and they had to build a wooden track to launch their Flyer. It is from these small beginnings that great things follow.

While I can share your enthusiasm, there are some physical realities that might put a damper on your vision. First of all it won't be "true" human flights. I'd expect that generally he will be constantly decending. "Flight" is usually reserved for motion paths that can increase in altitude. And this sorta gets to the larger point and the continuous difficulty of "landing" a wing suit.

Whether in freefall or undercanopy, we are involved in one big energy management exercise. Converting "potential" energy of altitude into "kinetic" energy of motion. And just like under canopy, the trick to landing is actually slowing down to a "survivable" speed. Both wing suits and canopies rely upon converting horizontal motion into vertical forces. The faster the motion, the greater the vertical force. Someone in a wing suit who is trying to land needs a large lifting force and from very low speeds. We call that a "canopy". It will take something of that size to accomplish it. The only other alternative would be accepting higher speed landings. Even when we shrunk our canopies down from the 200- 300 sq ft monsters we used to jump down to the 100 sq ft numbers (and smaller) that are a bit more common today, we did it predominately by accepting much higher speeds (well, more like demanding them). Through particular manuevers, we can flair them and gain large vertical forces and low horizontal speeds. But one will often note that in low wind conditions, the smallest of canopies still need to be "run out".

There isn't really anything out there that would make a wingsuit particularly "Landable". We will see this done as a stunt in various ways, I'm still expecting someone to land one on a snow covered ski slope. But if there was a way to "land" a person without a parachute, the US military would have been all over it about 4 decades ago.

agreed. but more importantly i think jbrown has some vision here...i'm not trying to argue that the next generation of birdmen will be taking advantage of the low atmospheric pressure and gravity on mars...but it's a very real possibility. like he said, from small beginnings great things tend to follow (in one way or another ;) ).

There isn't really anything out there that would make a wingsuit particularly "Landable". We will see this done as a stunt in various ways, I'm still expecting someone to land one on a snow covered ski slope. But if there was a way to "land" a person without a parachute, the US military would have been all over it about 4 decades ago.

I think it was dne by either the germans or russians during WW2. exit from a low and slow aircraft into a some covered field. I think There was a problem if the snow coverd field had tree stumps or large rocks that couldn't be seen befor exit.

Sounds like a russian thing:S
One Jump Wonder

The story I remember about paratroopers without parachutes was that it was done by the Russians. Flying low and slow, the troops exited into snow-covered fields with sacks of straw to cushion the landings.
In practice, the injury/fatality rate was only slightly higher for the strawbag jumpers than the parachute equipped drops, but required much less training and equipment.
The Germans responded by painting fields of rocks white.
Zing Lurks

The Germans responded by painting fields of rocks white.

heh heh. I don't know why but thats really funny to me, in a spy vs spy kind of way. ouch...

So, to be sporty, Corliss can drape his landing ramp with camoflage netting, making it invisible from the air. ;)