npknapt

army paying for skydiving

Currently you need 150 jumps I'm in frequent contact with a few of the members of the Golden Knights and I'm all ready to recruit soldiers, I'm already the BN reenlistment NCO so I'm prepaired for that.

I don't think I would have an attiude issues, I normally get along with everyone in every situation... at least I think lol

Or you could abandon the though of getting paid for jumping and simply try to minimize costs. I know there are several Military Freefall clubs out there. I don't know of them all but some examples are in Vincenza, Italy, Korea, Ft. Bragg (82d club and Green Beret Club), Ft. Campbell, et cetera. In essence, you pay a minimal fee per month (I believe I ised to pay about $25/month) and jump like hell on militart DZ's from military aircraft. We would have ops about twice per month for 8 hour blocks.

All those clubs are gone. Bragg's consolidated activity was the last to go. Now a days to jump from mil air as a skydiver your either a tactical (HALO) or Demo jumper, with very few exceptions.

The avatar comment was spot on and slotperfect is right on all comments.

You still could get assigned to another post that has a smaller Demo team as they tend to take people from the FJC and groom them. The USAPT grooms the jumpers from 150 jumps as stated.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

You still could get assigned to another post that has a smaller Demo team as they tend to take people from the FJC and groom them. The USAPT grooms the jumpers from 150 jumps as stated.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Many times it is easier to groom a junior jumper - with 150 jumps and the right attitude - than a "skygod" with a million jumps.
The first step is realizing that demo jumps are not done to glorify the egos of the jumpers!

Thanks for the advice... You've got a point about the taking the junior jumpers like you said they won't have as much of an attitude and they wouldn't have as many bad habbits to break.

Anyone have any advice as to things I can study until I save up enough money to jump again?

Good point!
My second year in the Canadian Air Force, I realized that I was wasting way to much time drinking beer and came to the conclusion that my time would be better spent attending night school classes at Saint Mary's University.
Night school classes did three things. They kept me out of the bars, they expanded my mind and they introduced me to a new circle of friends.
All those evenings paid off when I left the service. Two universities offered me a year and a half advanced standing and I completed a Bachelor's Degree 18 months after release!

The other guys on here are giving good tips. If you are serious about getting the military to pay for you jumps-go to SOF. Army SF guys don't always get Mil Freefall (sometimes takes 8-10 yrs). If you go Navy-EOD and SEALS get MFF fairly soon after their selection. If I were you-I'd cross into the Blue, go Air Force PJ or CCT. You'll go to Airborne, then right to Army FF school. That all happens after You go through the selections, however. You'd get Dive quals too-if you're into that. Otherwise-budget and do your best to get through civilian AFF. Good luck!
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

i started jumping as an e-4 in the navy. i learned to pack and used the money i made from it to jump. i did my 5th static line jump on my own pack job. go static line instead of aff, you don't have to come up with as much money per jump. get a cheap tent and sleep in it on the dz so you don't have to waste money on a hotel room. you'll be surprised at how many invites you get to crash on people's couches. every few trips to the dz, bite the bullet and bring a case of beer. you don't have to buy every weekend, many people have been where you are and will take care of you. don't think of purchases in terms of dollars, but in terms number of jumps.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

Skydive Atlanta is in Thomaston, GA, about 185 miles from Augusta. We have several jumpers who make the drive every weekend, sometimes including folks from Ft. Gordon. There are motels in the area, and trailers and RVs are permitted on the airport, but a number of folks bring sleeping bags (or use ones left by others ( :( ) and spend the night so they can maximize their jumping vs. driving.

We also host the 82nd Airborne Division's Silver Wings demo team, so you can get a lot of good info directly from real Army skydivers. (Yes, skydivers - the Army pays for a lot of their non-airborne jumps!)

We're closed for the holidays this weekend, but come on out Jan. 5-6!

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

We also host the 82nd Airborne Division's Silver Wings demo team

The Silver Wings are Ft. Benning's Command Exhibition Parachute Team.

The All American Free Fall Team belongs to the 82nd Airborne Division at Ft. Bragg; they train at Raeford Parachute Center. Their Team Leader is a *prominent* member of these forums. :)
Arrive Safely

John

Make 100 jumps, fill out the USAPT application & send it in. The guidelines were the same yet I remember a guy with 89 jumps at tryouts, one with over 2500 and another had only made 2 jumps the previous 9 months prior to tryouts (slotperfect was there). Have a good attitude, be a teamplayer & show that you are willing to learn - they will train you to be a better skydiver.

Oh ya....change the avatar.

(The guy with 89 jumps made the team.....the one with 2500 didn't.)

OK, here goes . . . based on the answers to all of your questions:

1) Move back into the barracks. That will allow you to use more of what you make. Living on 25% of your income sounds like self-imposed handcuffs to me.
2) Get yourself into the black financially. Bite the bullet by eating three squares in the DFAC every day, leveraging "free" or inexpensive "on-post" entertainment, consolidating trips for errands, etc. If your Commander will allow you, get a part-time job - you will use your free time to make money instead of spending it.
3) If you own a new car with tall payments, sell it and buy a roller-skate that gets great gas mileage and won't cost as much monthly.
4) Seek a reassignment that is forwarding for your career and takes you closer to a turbine DZ. Ft. Bragg & Raeford is a good example.
5) Determine the total cost of reaching the minimum requirements for USAPT. Save a third of it and buy a block of jump tickets at Chester, SC (the closest turbine DZ to FGGA). Buy a tent and weekend at the DZ if the weather looks jumpable, saving for your next block of tickets. Eat cheap, spend your money on jumps not beer & gear.

If you are clear that this is your goal, and you are serious about it, you will be willing to make the short-term sacrifices in lifestyle that it requires.

Good luck!

Okay so last night I finally got all my stuff outta my apartment and moved back onto base... **Sigh** I miss having my own place but oh well... My truck is now paid off and the only bills I have are my cell phone bill...

You're right sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and suck it up. Well I'll be saving myself almost $1500 a month so I should be jumping here in a few weeks!!!!

Okay so last night I finally got all my stuff outta my apartment and moved back onto base... **Sigh** I miss having my own place but oh well... My truck is now paid off and the only bills I have are my cell phone bill...

You're right sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and suck it up. Well I'll be saving myself almost $1500 a month so I should be jumping here in a few weeks!!!!

Do you have your own gear or are you renting gear still?
Scars remind us that the past is real

What gear are you jumping, how many jumps, ect.?

I'm AD USAF and I made my first skydive 3 years ago this month. My wife paid for my first jump for my 25th bday. I didn't get hardcore into it until this year. We don't make a lot on the paycheck so I picked up a second job @ a local hospital. Mind you I'm a Med Lab Tech with experience, but while I was doing clinicals I changed oil at the local Valvoline. Bunt arms, but extra money!!!!

It was already stated.....where there is a will...there is a way!