Kimblair13

"Top 10" DZ's...

I havent been to many but Toogoolawah is my favourite. Fun jumpers paradise. Load organisers, caravans, multiple disiplines, 14000 ft. Did I mention the in ground pool? Go ramblers!
------------------------------------skydiving...the grounds the limit!

Tecumseh - No Place Like home
Sebastian - Great People - nice view - And the Keys boogie...Yeah
SDC - Good times
Napoleon - Gettobillies!!!
CSC - Good people
Sky Knights - Great turbo 182 - rode it all day for the CPC
Byron - Never jumped there but great people
Skydive Oregon - Nice view - good people
Skydive Hawaii - Did a jump with the wife for honeymoon
Eloy - Great people - The new landing rules kept me away this year.

Boy, you ruffled some feathers here. I have visited most of them on the east coast and would have a very tough time naming the best or top 10. I would hate to leave anyone out, being almost all DZ's have some great prople to hang with. I will name some that I have enjoyed over the years, just to give them credit, (East Coast)

S.D. Long Island (Calverton)
The Ranch (NY)
Cross Keys(NJ)
Sky's the Limit (PA)
Louisbug (NC)
Deland(FL)
Z HIlls(FL)
Raeford
Spaceland (TX)
Chicago

I am sure I left some great ones out.
No specific order.

Z-Hills
SkyDance
Skydive Santa Barbara
The Ranch
Gold Coast Skydivers
Great Lakes Taupo, NZ

A random ordered list of some of the favorite places I've jumped.

Adding Skydive Oregon
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Look, this thread is complicated enough - so Excluding my home dropzone, including both Turbine and Cessna DZ's, and I'll even give reason why I think they belong on my list. To keep it simple - I'll give my Top 3 DZ's.

- Skydive Dallas: Their Upjumper accommodations are exquisite. Free Bunk rooms up above, 2 large CLEAN packing areas, really friendly staff, and they have my two favorite airplanes, a Caravan and Tw'Otter. I've taken students down there, and I've worked with their staff on helping finish their progression with our coaches and instructors we've bussed down there. I like the little balcony they have, and it just has a "small home DZ feel" while keeping up all the perks of Big DZ living. This is my favorite Dropzone.

Freefall Express, Mt Vernon, MO: Okay, I've been here a few times, I've attended all their boogies, and made the 5+ hour drive a few times just to go see people up there. They run a good show up there, and it is a Cessna DZ, although when I first jumped there they had a part time King Air. Just a REALLY friendly vibe from everybody, and they fly the hell out of those 2 cessna's they have.

Eloy - I'm here right now. I love it. I know a lot of the staff, Larry is on helluva guy to just go up and talk to, and it's amazing for me to see such a big dropzone bend over backwards to accomodate each and every skydiver.
=========Shaun ==========

Dude Cessna dropzones are a lot of fun. There is a vibe there that is better than some turbine Dropzones that have planes turning all the time.

My list so far it is tough to decide which one is better than the other one.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I wonder what would happen if I started a "Top 10 Worst Dz" Thread. Part of me thinks that it might spawn a lot of good discussion on what goes into a good DZ as long as people put in reasonable points as to why they didn't like that dropzone.

Then again, it would probably be locked and I would be labeled a troll. Anyone wanna try it? :)

=========Shaun ==========

I have to agree with the others about 182 DZ's. They are the back bone of our sport and probably always will be. In my travels I believe that the 182 Dz's produce more students (thus increasing our numbers) than the turbine DZ's.
Dont get me wrong I love the larger AC but in the 80 DZ's I have been to in the last 5 years the 182 seem to be more productive. In the sense of % of tandems/ AFF that stay in the sport.

JUst my opinion from my travels and time in sport.

Im suprised, unless I missed it but Mullins should be on folks list, one of my favorites.

Of the turbine DZ's I have been to, these are my 10 favorite so far (in the rough order that I first jumped there)...

Emerald Coast Skydiving Center
Carolina Sky Sports
Greene County
Palatka
Z-hills
The Farm
DeLand
Eloy
Start Skydiving
Lost Prairie

Hope you find what you're looking for in your "research" :)

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091