Kimblair13

"Top 10" DZ's...

What does everyone think the best 10 are? Take into consideration students/fun jumpers/days of operation/weather/aircraft.
Don't put anything that would just be a tandem factory. And nothing that only fly's a 182, unless they have 10 of them that fly continuously.
Just curious...

And nothing that only fly's a 182, unless that have 10 of them that fly

Why? Some of the best DZs I've been to were 182 DZs. Small enough to care about you. You weren't just some damned number in their manifest software.

If you want to be a snob about A/C sure you can limit it to only turbine DZs. Why not limit it to DZs with tailgates or with more then 2 Otters as well?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Best by what measure?

I like turbine's as much as anyone, but there are some great dropzones out there running 182s and 206s with great people and a great vibe. I big plane is great, but it would get old pretty quick if there was nobody there worth playing with or talking to. I've been to one dropzone that had two twin turbine aircraft (Otter & AN-28), but it was difficult to talk to the locals. I've been to another dropzone where they were only flying an AN-2 (slow single radial engine biplane), but it was easier to talk to the locals even though their english was much more limited.

I'm still new, though. I've only been to 10 dropzones in total, so I'll name four that stood out for me - not that the other 6 sucked, but it seems pointless to name my top 10 when that's all I've seen, and while I'm sure that places like Deland and Perris are great, I've not been so I won't attempt to comment.

1. Skydive Arizona because of good vibe, good memories, great aircraft and the wind tunnel.
2. Skydive Ramblers in Australia for fantastic people and vibe, good planes and lots of great memories.
3. Skydive Burnaby - it's home, it's the only place near home with an Otter and it's where all the most exciting stuff in Canada's been happening since I've been jumping.
4. Skydive Eden North - great vibe, great people. Sure there's only 2x182 and a 206 now, but I had an awesome time here nonetheless - and besides they're getting a Caravan next year.

Actually, I should probably give Hervey Bay an honourable mention, too. I only spent a long weekend there, but I jumped my arse off out of the skyvan and the views out over Fraser Island and the surrounding waters were magnificent.

If you want to be a snob about A/C sure you can limit it to only turbine DZs.

Wow Mr. Effin poopy pants. I started at a 182 DZ and LOVED it. I think they are great and still like jumping out of 182's...but I'm looking for "bigger" DZ's.
I think you need to take a deep breath and not be so negative.

I think you need to take a deep breath and not be so negative.

Hey, I'm not the one trying to shut out the majority of DZs in the world from the "top 10" by limiting my desired replies to turbine only DZs.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If you want to make a different thread about the best DZ's counting 182's I'm sure you can make that happen.

It's a question. I just made it up because I was curious. Like I said...make a different thread if you think the top 10 are 182 DZ's. I like 182 DZ's but for my scientific research am leaving them out of my equation.

Life isn't fair. I made up a question. If you want to make a different thread about the best DZ's counting 182's I'm sure you can make that happen.

Maybe you should have put that in the question. (ie. "Top 10" Turbine DZs") The way it was phrased makes it sound like a Cessna dropzone can't be good. I'm sure that wasn't the intent, but it does come across a little that way.

Blues.

Life isn't fair. I made up a question. If you want to make a different thread about the best DZ's counting 182's I'm sure you can make that happen.

Maybe you should have put that in the question. (ie. "Top 10" Turbine DZs") The way it was phrased makes it sound like a Cessna dropzone can't be good. I'm sure that wasn't the intent, but it does come across a little that way.

Blues.

Oh My God, give me a break. This was a simple f**king question and now everyone has turned it into something else
Kirk

Blues.

Fine. Assume Kimblair13 said "top 10 skydiving resorts" or whatever you want. I'm curious to the responses to the intended question as well.

airplane racist :P

We fly a 206...yesterday we had a visit from 3 jumpers. 1 aussie and 2 from USA. Wont say names, but 1 is a current 4way national champion, another was a experienced BASE jumper that has traveled all the world jumping, so they been around. Im 100% sure we make their top 10 and they only made 2 jumps.
Sometimes location, staff, and regulars weight more than 5 otters and 3 skyvans. Quality vs quantity.

HISPA #93
DS #419.5

Depends what you want to do, doesn't it? It's hard to do 16-way at a 1 Cessna DZ.

If you want to jump wingsuits, Z-Hills looks like the happening place. For vRW I'd suggest Skydive Chicago.

If you have non-jumping family and friends tagging along, Skydive Chicago has plenty to entertain them too.

If you want a nearby wind tunnel, Perris and Eloy are the places.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

To date, I've jumped out of planes at 15 different places and I remember the all for different reasons..

• Dunkerswell (1978) - First Jump Course
  • Ardersier (Inverness) - Right on the Morray Firth. Most scenic
  • Marana, Az - First Freefall
  • Weston-o-t-Green - Someones else was paying (The Queen!!!!)
  • Tel Aviv & Fredrichaven : I was paid!! and lowest jumps.
  • Empuriabrava - Sun, Sea, Skydive
  • Hibaldstow - Cool a/c (Dornier)

• Every single one of them - COOL PEOPLE - and that, for me is the bottom line.

(.)Y(.)
    Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome