BerryBoy

"Regularity" of Jumping Question

I'm going to be the negative voice here.

You aren't alone here. This is not a sport to just embrace partially - yuppee style. It's not like taking a yearly ski trip and then packing it up for the year.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Teaching math used to be the center of my life. Now it's becoming the means to live the life I want. I still think it's a great job, but some of the luster has been replaced by the lure of the sky.

Yeah, right. Next you'll be telling us you can stop skydiving anytime you want. Before you know it, you'll have sold all your stuff and your kids will be whispering about putting Mom in rehab.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teaching math used to be the center of my life. Now it's becoming the means to live the life I want. I still think it's a great job, but some of the luster has been replaced by the lure of the sky.
Yeah, right. Next you'll be telling us you can stop skydiving anytime you want. Before you know it, you'll have sold all your stuff and your kids will be whispering about putting Mom in rehab.

Hmmmm. I quit a 2-3 pack-a-day cigarette habit cold turkey, but I'm thinking that would be a piece of cake compared to quitting skydiving.:P
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

I didnt read all the post here and I dont mean to sound, well rude or inconsiderate. But......
An uncurrent skydiver is a dead skydiver. yes that is a "broad" statement but it really applies to someone with very few jumps.

From 1984, to 1999 I made 159 jumps.....I am very lucky and I believe the only reason Im here today is because I was practically born on a dz. I have been in many situations during that time where I should not have walked away....one time, I didnt, I live in pain to this day because of it. I got to the point where i considered myself an expert student...So I understand completely the mentality of a new jumper.

You will learn more, advance quicker, and stay safer if you commit the first (at least) 100 jumps, you, your family and friends will appreciate it too...
Jump and jump often....

go ahead bash on folks......but you wont change my mind on this, been here too long and seen more than my share of BS accidents due to this and this alone. Im quilty of it, just got lucky.

I didnt read all the post here and I dont mean to sound, well rude or inconsiderate. But......
An uncurrent skydiver is a dead skydiver.

Thanks for the input! If you look back through the posts, you'll see the context of this discussion (in terms of my input) was not "How many jumps is the minimum." But rather my question has migrated to, "How frequently do experienced skydivers recommend that I jump so I can commit to it." I too value my life and the lives of others!

Skydiving is something that I have craved my entire life and I was so happy to make my first tandem 5 months ago. I hadn't a clue that the following 5 months would plague me with constant thoughts of wanting to skydive almost every day! Being so busy with graduate school, I already understand that I need to wait to finish my degree before I can mentally and physically be present to commit to skydiving...this discussion has helped me tremendously to know I'm doing the right thing by waiting and also has given me a good idea of how often I need to commit to jumping when I begin AFF after I graduate.