fpritchett64

If skydiving became illegal

Ok, so not sure if this has been covered before, I did a quick search, but tons of pages came up with the combination of skydiving and illegal...too lazy to look through all of them.

Just curious though, if skydiving became illegal, would you still find a way to jump.

So nobody has to analyze the question too much, lets just say that it became illegal throughout the whole world, what would you do other than fight it till our death in court.

Well, I've been in the sport a good while, long enough that if skydiving ceased as a legal activity, I could do without it and go find some other insane activity to do. ;)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

By allowing me to jump, they leave the decision up to me but by making it illegal, they're flat-out forcing me to do it! ;)

I second that notion. If it becomes illegal and they take your gear after every jump, its time to buy old military gear in bulk, and some wholesale lots on weather balloons+helium. Some things will just never happen, like the banning of sport motorcycles. It would be like prohibition in Ireland

It's not the same, but there's BASE, and there's groundlaunching, and parapente and all the other semi-related sports. I'd find a way to get my fix. Freefall and canopy flight might no longer happen (much) in the same jump/flight. Sites for swooping and serious wingsuiting might be very few and far between. Formation bigways would probably die.

It's not as far-fetched as it might seem BTW. Not so much making jumping outright illegal, but restricting access to airspace might kill skydiving in a lot of places.
Johan.
I am. I think.

It's not as far-fetched as it might seem BTW. Not so much making jumping outright illegal, but restricting access to airspace might kill skydiving in a lot of places.

...or not to mention prohibitive fuel prices, but thats another thread the OP can search...
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

Well, there are paragliders, microlight aircraft, big motorcycles, fast horses and scuba diving.

There's even big mountains and bridges just standing around completely unguarded.

I'm pretty sure we'd all be able to find something other than skydiving to do.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

No one's really mentionned simply travelling to do it - hundreds of skydivers round the world are already simply holiday jumpers. I understand that jumping in Japan is so expensive that all the sport jumpers there only ever do it abroad. It's almost getting that way in the UK to - lots of jumpers here no longer bother with BPA membership and only ever jump on holidays in the States or during short breaks over in Spain, many still manage over 100 a year.

Hell, I'm a year round UK jumper and still more than half my total number of jumps have been done abroad.

If skydiving was illegal I would be hitting the wind tunnels instead. Though much less frequent than I skydive due to the cost.

Tunnel's cheaper...do the math.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239