mbondvegas

Skydive Las Vegas Removes Themselves From the DZ Listing?

I just noticed today that Skydive Las Vegas is no longer in the DZ listing on this site.

I assume they did not think that the mostly negative reviews were beneficial to their business.
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

If that's why, I'm not surprised.

They're a tandem-only drop zone, right? DZO Michael Hawkes? Yeah, he's not too well liked, from what I remember. :P

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

They're a tandem-only drop zone, right? DZO Michael Hawkes? Yeah, he's not too well liked, from what I remember. :P

I seem to remember that Michael sold teh operation to another person awhile back... I could be wrong but I seem to remember noting something about that..

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I seem to remember that Michael sold teh operation to another person awhile back... I could be wrong but I seem to remember noting something about that..
---------------------------------------------------------

Hawkes told me that he sold out to Brent Buckner.
He bought a couple commercial properties and walked away from the sport.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I am truly surprised that Brent kept the same business model for that place.

He was always a great guy who loved the sport. not sure what's got into his head. :P

Its called money.
All three of the DZs in the local Las Vegas area are tandem mills for that tourist dollar.
Why do you suppose ALL of the Vegas funjumpers drive 90-100 miles to jump at Skydive Mesquite ?

bozo

I've been to the DZ before just to check it out - and I know that that arn't *that* busy. Last I knew they were a tandem factory out of a 206, and Las Vegas has the upjumper population base to support several good DZ.

He hits the tourism market REALLY hard - just my .02, but he could make a LOT more money and do well to diversify his customer base.

Whatever - the only threat I see to this sport is short-sided visions of how to make a $. [:/]

=========Shaun ==========

and Las Vegas has the upjumper population base to support several good DZ.

The sad part of this statement is that you really believe it.
I jumped in Las Vegas at 7 different DZ businesses. I was a TM/I...SL/JM/I at all of them for 20 years. There were/are just too many other places to go jump turbines close, that the population you mention has never supported the local DZs

bozo

What came first the chicken or the egg?

You were here so I am asking.

First let me say the SD Mesquite ROCKS!

Now, wasn't SDLV originally a full function DZ at one point?
I always thought that the DZ's would not support the Fun jumpers so we all went elsewhere. Hence, Mesquite success with fun jumpers. Crazy thing is that I don't think skydive mesquite is making as much money as he can because he has carefully steered away from that double edged sword but I don't think Brad is starving.

For a while, he was working elsewhere to keep the DZ open which just speaks volumes of his commitment to a fun jumpers DZ but, speaking purely from a guess, I think the DZ is self funding now.

A DZ In LV COULD have been a tandem factory and gotten the fat dollar up front but when some burp in the industry effects them they won't have the fun jumpers to support the down times.

* by burp I mean two other DZ's opening and competing for the same customers. The temporary loss of a turbine when the Change of ownership occured. etc.

Another note, a few years ago Brad had to get some engine work done on his 182. That took forever, and he had to rent a plane from another place He was being charged 120 per load and he did not raise the price of the jump tickets. He was spending $64 IIRC every time he sent a full load of fun jumpers.

For a while, I remember certain people bitching about it:)

I gotta thank you again ,Bozo, for introducing me to that DZ.

My photos

My Videos

Hawkes originally opened Skydive Las Vegas when he left the DZ at the NLV airport.
He had a pretty good DZ for quite some time...he even asked me to work for him as a TM/I. I jumped there quite a bit until he instituted the AAD mandatory rule.
I had heated words with him and left as did most of his jumper base. A couple years later after he had two fatalities there he banned all funjumpers for reasons known only to him. The rule is still in effect under Brent Buckner.

bozo

Hawkes originally opened Skydive Las Vegas when he left the DZ at the NLV airport.
He had a pretty good DZ for quite some time...he even asked me to work for him as a TM/I. I jumped there quite a bit until he instituted the AAD mandatory rule.
I had heated words with him and left as did most of his jumper base. A couple years later after he had two fatalities there he banned all funjumpers for reasons known only to him. The rule is still in effect under Brent Buckner.

I remember those fatalities. What stuck in my craw was Hawkes convincing the Nevada legislature to make that rule statewide. Am I remembering this correctly?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I remember those fatalities. What stuck in my craw was Hawkes convincing the Nevada legislature to make that rule statewide. Am I remembering this correctly?

kinda sorta :)

bozo

The sad part of this statement is that you really believe it.
I jumped in Las Vegas at 7 different DZ businesses. I was a TM/I...SL/JM/I at all of them for 20 years. There were/are just too many other places to go jump turbines close, that the population you mention has never supported the local DZs

The population of Vegas has grown substantially over the past 20 years. There is no reason that a local DZ could not be successful - if Mormons have a problem with skydiving (the alcohol!) then Mesquite would be in a similar bind.

But since people have pointed out to me that the actual distance to Mesquite is no different than from SF to the edge of the Bay Area where the DZs live, may stay the way it is.

I just noticed today that Skydive Las Vegas is no longer in the DZ listing on this site.

I assume they did not think that the mostly negative reviews were beneficial to their business.

This kind of defeats the purpose of a review if the DZ can come here and delete them.:S

This kind of defeats the purpose of a review if the DZ can come here and delete them.:S

Kinda like Ben and Carey getting their USPA memberships back , aint it ? ;)

bozo

he banned all funjumpers for reasons known only to him

As I remember it, Michael got sued over those fatalities, it cost him a couple hundred thousand to defend himself (he eventually won).

Can't imagine why any DZO would do what was in their best interest.

http://www.skydiveatlanta.com
http://www.musiccityskydiving.com

As I remember it, Michael got sued over those fatalities, it cost him a couple hundred thousand to defend himself (he eventually won).

So you think all funjumpers should be banned from dZs because some asshole sued?

BZZZZZZZZZZZZT wrong. He got sued over the collision of the cameraflyer with another jumper who survived. It happened well after the AAD imposition. And as I remember the camera guy did not have his AAD turned on.

bozo

Oh, God forbid I get a fact "sort of" wrong.
The point is he got sued due to fun jumpers and any business owner has the right to do whatever they want with their business.

and from Spence

So you think all funjumpers should be banned from dZs because some asshole sued?

If someone made an endeavour of yours very difficult, stressful, costly, and took all the fun out of it because of someone else's mistake, you probably wouldn't care to do it anymore either. Hmmm....

http://www.skydiveatlanta.com
http://www.musiccityskydiving.com

As I heard it. A lot fo traveling jumpers were landing in town for the thrill of it. so I can see him having issues but the dickhead wouldn't sell me cypres batteries because I was a funjumper.

I was due for new ones and I called to see if he had any he said he did but did not want to be bothered looking for them. (he had a display case in his lobby area.)

that was the 2nd kick in the teeth I got from him.
So from personal expereince he is a dick head.

It was sometime after my 2nd encounter that he punched a female packer for because she yelled at him or some shit like that. The guy was (and probably still is) an asshole. He had every right to conduct his business his way but THOSE are the reasons I will always call him a dickhead.;)

My photos

My Videos

if Mormons have a problem with skydiving (the alcohol!) then Mesquite would be in a similar bind.

Nope, no problem at all. :)

Yeah there are. You just look under our hair for the horns. :)

bozo

You're mormon?

There's another twist the mystery of why in the world I like you. You just keep adding thing to the other side of the list.:D

There're a lot more mormons at this weekend than any other I think. You can tell because they ride up on bicycles.

My photos

My Videos