bigway

GEAR THEFT

This is in the classifieds. Is there any way we can band together and find this person? Does anyone know who he is? To withdraw from western union you must have 100% i.d. so this must be his real name.
Can anyone help?

Letting everyone know....we saved up to buy a skydiving rig and found one on this website. After transferring the money via Western Union, and receiving a copy of the fedex form....we were notified the fedex number doesnt exist. We now havent been able to get in contact with the seller of the Mirage G4 container with a Saffire 210 canopy. His name is Carlo Sisley of Napoli Italy. His email address is [email protected] We are now out of pocket and out of the sky.....if anyone knows him or knows how else to track him down....or even what we can do about this.....please contact me directly on my email.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

That does suck.... I almost bought a rig from a guy through wetern union. But I called WU first to see if they offered insurance... And I explained to the lasy what I was doing. And she told me that I shouldn't do it, and the guy is probobly trying to fuck me over... Good thing I didnt do it

Well, i am in two minds about western union. One of my customers had a deadline to pay me for a rig because his money was well past due. He missed the bank so i asked him to go to western union, he sent me money and he got a brand new shiny custom made rig in the mail 3 days later.

My suggestion would be not to buy off anyone with a yahoo.com account. The only people that use those accounts these days are dodgy scams.

Paypal, wire transfer, bank draft all good.

The best way to buy a rig from an international person selling second hand is to post them a 'bank cashiers cheque'.
Safest way.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Gary,

What a coincidence to find your topic. I was about to post the same. Here is the email I sent the scammed person (basically what I have to say)

Mate,

Concerning the scammer who tricked you out of your money. I'll give you all the information I can give you and the rest is up to you. I take it you tried to buy kit with a Sabre2 from 2005 and it was priced low and located in Italy? I was also in contact with a seller like that, also from Italy. I don't know if it was the same wanker but his nickname on DZ.COM was christianoadams I've also been in contact with one of these tossers via email but I can't seem to find the mail. Sorry, I will mail it if it comes up.Contact the admin of the site. Have them check the IP of these two. If they match, you've got yourself a scammer.

Contact authorities and make an official complaint. This will get you a home adress (or probably an anonymous internet café)
Get someone to find that IP from the yahoo adress as well. You've contacted Western Union already? They must have a credit card number or something? If you can, have your solicitor contact them and give up the info. Don't ever use them to pay again. Ask for a home adress and phone number to pick up the kit. If they won't give it...pass. Check out that adress, call them. Use paypal only...even if it's not bulletproof, you'll have a comfirmed adress.

I really hope you see your money back. Hope this helps a little.

Take care,
Vincent.

Can we get an IP for these two guys ( christianoadams and [email protected])?

I know it's naieve but you never know one of these idiots made a mistake and left a trace. Can we (meaning you guys...lol) not file a complaint against Western Union if only to get the financial info of these guys? They need to get their hands on the money some way or other? Can this be made a sticky and added to title: buying/selling on DZ.com???

1500€ is a lot of money...

...wire transfer, bank draft all good.

Do wire transfer and bank drafts have any type of recourse in the event of non-delivery on the part of the seller?

I would only agree to using those if you have the merchandise in hand.

Go with a good escrow service.

- David
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

My suggestion would be not to buy off anyone with a yahoo.com account. The only people that use those accounts these days are dodgy scams.

Oh yeah? Good to know. I've been accused of being a spammer before, but never a dodgy scammer. I've used a paid yahoo account as my primary email for 5 or 6 years now. Must be scamming myself...

FYI, I'd say exactly the same thing about anyone asking for money through western union. That must make you a scammer too. :)
Dave

I guess I am out of line saying that. It did not come across how i wanted it to. The thing is, all the scams i get from ebay and all the emails i get from scammers that get my email address off my website, They all have Yahoo or Hotmail accounts. So when i see these i take a careful look at it and am very suspect. I forgot yahoo has paid accounts and that is where maybe i come off sounding rude.

All i should have said is i look twice and then maybe once more at any emails that are from yahoo or hotmail accounts because i have to from all the crap that gets sent to my email.

I think western union would be a pretty easy way to collect on a scam, however i still use it if i ever send friends money, i would advise against paying for an expensive item through it though. If i am sending money i want to do it through bank cheques as they are the safest i know.... or maybe paypal

I just wanted to post this thread and try and someone help. Sorry that you take offence from my opinions.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Well it stands, so if you know how to contact them, please do. It may or may not be suitable for them but could be used as a trade. It's doing me no favours (sat in my loft) and owes me nothing now. So if I can help someone out, I'd be very pleased to.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

What the FUCK! I reported that ad as a scam because I have seen that rig around my dropzone ALL THE TIME. I guess it didn't get reported in time.

That sucks. I knew right away, even if I hadn't seen the rig, that it was phoney. Price was WAY cheap, the Cypres was practically new, and the guy wasn't asking much for it.

well, aside from the fact that THAT particular rigs belongs to a guy in MASS - anybody who thinks that anybody would sell you a $4000 piece of gear for 1500 needs a reality check. I am not trying to victimize the victim - but CMON - a deal that is too good to be true - is TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.

I bet it's a standard "I am traveling right now, but if you WU me the money, I will cover the cost of Fedex Priority International to ya" - sure, don't be THAT gullible.

PEOPLE - USE COMMON SENSE WHEN PURCHASING - Just getting the seller on the phone will eliminate over 90% of the scammers. Email is too easy to fake, and freemail accounts galore - so if you want extra protection - use paypal, escrow, etc - BUT GET THEM ON THE PHONE. It's hard to talk knowledgeable about skydiving gear if you are not a skydiver.

I keep reporting these ads as scams - but it always takes FOREVER to get them removed.

Remember - it's better to not make $$$, than to loose $$$.

And just one thing that pissed me off in this thread - I bet over 50% people use free email like gmail, yahoo, aol, etc - please don't think that they are all scammers :) I use gmail and I have sold and bought tons of gear, and I am just betting that there isn't a single person who can call me a scammer.

BSBD

Paypal, wire transfer, bank draft all good.

The best way to buy a rig from an international person selling second hand is to post them a 'bank cashiers cheque'.
Safest way.

I disagree, a lot of people use yahoo accounts, inclding myself. I have bought several items from dz.com classified. And the was few times when seller calld me a scam. For example when I asked bank account number to transfer the money ( I dont know you guys in the US but in europe it's normal to transfer money dirrect to bank account, and if you know that number you only can put money in not to take them out...) I also have paid for several items throught Western Union service, but make some checks, for example ask the phone number to get in touch or ask to make photo of a specific part of the rig to know that the person actually have it.

For the paypal - my country don't accept that, and no one uses cheques there. So what, not to buy?? I don't think so, just check everything five times and only then perform any money transactions ;)

I totally agree that it is BUYER BEWARE. Someone requesting Wester Union transfer SCREAMS SCAM. I knew someone who fell for the money order scam and sent someone cash through western union after cashing the bogus postal money order. I just could'nt feel that sorry for the guy.

My dad lists stuff on craigslist all the time and gets tons of scam offers. He always leads the scammers along until he gets the bogus checks then sends them a picture of himself flipping them off. He has a whole wall full of bogus money orders.

i am not talking about using a cheque. I am talking about using a bank cashiers cheque.
This is where you go to the bank and get the bank to write a cheque to the seller that they have to deposit into their bank account. It is not a personal cheque.

About the freemail accounts. i was talking about hotmail and yahoo, never said a thing about gmail or aol etc.... It i jsut that ever scammer and spammer that sends my business email uses yahoo.com or hotmail.com.

I am not saying dont trust these accounts just that i PERSONALLY need to look twice at them. BEtter safe than sorry.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Not sure mate, Never heard of it.

With paypal i have had many times where i have been ripped off by someone after paying them through paypal.
I then esculated a claim and paypal took the money directly from their bank and paid me back.

This is why i like paypal, however i hate the fees they charge.

With a bank cashiers cheque that the bank prints out for the seller, if something here goes wrong that money is fully documented as to where it is has gone but this way takes up to 30 days for the cheque to clear. However the seller will usually send the item knowing that the cheque is guaranteed.

With Western Union, i would have thought it was pretty safe but i guess dodgy i.d. would be easy to pass through or i guess if you had a friend who worked at western union it would be basic to commit frauds.

With wire transfer, it costs around $30usd to send money and sometimes it costs to recieve money but this is also a very safe way because not many people will ahve dodgy bank accounts for one off uses.

If you are ever going to buy second hand gear-especially from out of your own country you need to ask for serial numbers. If you do ask for a serial number and they give it to you, dont just be happy that they gave it to you and believe them, phone the manufacturer or even a distributor who could then find out who the original owner was, if it has been stolen, if it is meant to have been sold to a person in a different country than where you are buying it etc. It could give you more questions to ask the seller to verify information etc.

98% of people who buy gear from my store are from the USA and they nearly all use paypal. However when they are paying me $4000 i get a stupid high fee. The buyer is usually happy to pay that high fee or if i am making an ok profit from a customer i will let the fee come out of the profit or will work the fee into the sale price.
the other 2% wire payments from their account to my bank.

I like using these two ways of payment because i know that when i ask my customer to do either one that they are not going to worry about their payments as they have alot of protection using either of these methods.

If someone wants to pay with credit card it is also a good way to use paypal, as this way they do nto need to write their credit card numbers down in an email or anything, they just use paypal with their credit cards.

I am sure their are many other things like paypal such as netteller etc that are also safe.

However, if you think their will be a day where you ever need to recieve a large amount or send a large amount of money go and sign up and become a verified member of paypal today. The reason is because if you leave it till the day you need to send or recieve to sign up as a 'verified' member then you will wait about another week-2 weeks before your account will be ready.

it takes this long sometimes to become verified, so why not do it now when you have some spare time instead of waiting till you need it. It will be easier to use and safer if you are ready now instead of missing out because oyu have to wait when the time comes.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Regardless of Gary's (positive) experience, I advise that you never do business with anyone who request a Western Union transfer. Western Union payments feature in a very high percentage of the attempted scams on this site. It's a simple way to reduce a lot of risk.

Ask for a phone number and call whomever you're dealing with - don't be lazy! A 5 minute phone call and a few pointed questions makes it really easy to filter out scammers before you ship off your $3000 rig into the unknown. :S

Safe swoops
Sangiro

I agree with you. My POSITIVE experience was a customer requesting to pay ME with western union because he ran out of time with other methods.

There is no way on earth i would buy anything from anyone asking me to pay THEM with Western Union. Apart from them being maybe a criminal, it is bloody expensive.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store