bcmin

First cutaway

Wow dude.

So you haul your toggle down to your knee at 1200ft - stupid mistake.

You cutaway from linetwists at 1000ft - most likely another stupid mistake. I have trouble believing that a SA2 at .95 could have been that out of hand that you couldn't have kicked out of them. Maybe no, so that's why it's only 'most likely' another stupid mistake.

Then you forget to pull your reserve handle - the level of stupidity here defies logic.

After all this, you get mad at a guy who points this out? If you ask me, you're the one being the asshole.

You cutaway from linetwists at 1000ft - most likely another stupid mistake. I have trouble believing that a SA2 at .95 could have been that out of hand that you couldn't have kicked out of them. Maybe no, so that's why it's only 'most likely' another stupid mistake.

I've actually seen this happen to an SA2 at a similar loading. In this case I think the guy went from a hard flare into a hard right hand turn which caused a monetary collapse, followed by spiraling line twists which he had to chop. To his defense, he was a good bit higher than our little buddy here.

bcmin,

Relax... Time and time again, ad nauseum, the same things happen here. Mr. Jumper posts on here 1 thing (posts... as in using the written word in a very non-formalized environment) and it comes across as something else. Then, Mr. "I'm so tired of cleaning up the carnage/losing friends/giving condolences to spouses/etc" responds in a manner to DRIVE a point home before Mr. Jumper kills himself or someone else.

This sport is different than most, in that you can do everything right and still fucking die, no matter what your experience level is. Don't take what is given as gospel (this is an anonymous'ish interweb thingy afterall...) but count on a couple of things while your here... 1) If you fuck up bad enough, folks will post about it here and talk bad about you. 2) If you fuck up a moderate amount, the safety nazi's (folks with the experience and willingness/desire to grow and protect the sport) will correct anything unsafe and/or stupid in the hopes that others will learn and not kill themselves or anyone else. 3) If you fuck up a little ...just a smidgeon, you will owe beer.

The bottom line is what you did resulted ok, but you were lucky. Learn from your mistakes. ...and remember not to take anything on these boards personally, were all just trying to get along and live to skydive another day. :)

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon, but I can reinforce that several respected and experienced jumpers have given you good advice. This is a tough sport, and you do have to swallow your pride a bit if you want to stick around.

I also wanted to strongly suggest that you take a canopy course ASAP. Part of this course will teach you how to spin up your canopy and recover at a safe altitude. If you'd had that experience before, you probably wouldn't have had to cut away. I'm not knocking your choice to chop, thats always up to the person in the saddle. But you should also re-evaluate your hard deck. Talk about that with your canopy course instructor.

Go ask manifest when the next course at Eloy will be, and if they dont have one scheduled, ask them to do it soon. You're likely not the only person at the dz who needs it. And at 32 jumps, its the perfect time for you to get more instruction, before you develop bad habits and then have to learn how to break them later.

Okay, I'm just trying to learn so I'm looking at the SIM. The page I'm looking at (one of the "Emergency Procedure Review" pages) says, "If below 1,000 feet without a functioning canopy, deploy the reserve (will result in a cutaway on an SOS system)." I don't recall having discussed JUST deploying my reserve with my instructors, but I'm not pointing fingers at any instructor anywhere because it's more likely to be my forgetfulness than their mistake. How can I tell, when looking at a rig, if I have an SOS? I will definitely ask this question at the dz so it's gear specific, but I'm curious. I assume you would do this to get a canopy over your head ASAP at that altitude, but I obviously don't want two out, either. My EPs have always been "arch look reach look pull reach pull." I wouldn't have necessarily thought about going directly to my reserve--but it's one more of those canopy issues I need to understand.
TPM Sister #102

One question I've asked myself many times is "If the RSL hadn't operated correctly, would I have deployed in time?" I don't know. I like to think it would have just taken another second for my brain to kick in and move my hands to the reserve handle, but there's no way to know for sure. I will say that the next time I have to use it, I'll be a lot more likely to get it right.

I you "Don't Know" and you know that you don't know...get some re-training!

I do know, that you can do some really stupid stuff in this sport and walk away 7 out of 10 times, you just don't know what order the getting dead thing comes in those ten times! ;)

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

...I've read a lot of good stuff that I've taken to heart from this thread, ....

I think all you learned from this event is that you can do stupid shit, get yourself in a deadly situation, not even think to pull your reserve, and still live on to ask how the video turned out. The RSL was invented to allow brainless students to survive. I don't recall ever hearing someone announce so proudly that they were one of these.

Kevin K.

Good stuff on getting your first cutaway, dude. Now let's try, at the next opportunity, to get your first reserve deployment, eh?

I say BEER for the cutaway and another BEEEEEEEEER for the first reserve deployment. No, it isn't double jeopardy.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Let me say I hardly ever post here....just read. Something about two eyes (or ears) and one mouth. Coming from MOUTH. Ha Ha

That is about all I see funny here.

Anyone with 32 jumps who didn't pull their reserve and is still unsure if they will pull their reserve should be grounded until retraining. Period...no discussion. I know if Burke knew this he would nut up and chew you a new one.

Anyone with 32 jumps who at 1000 feet is toggle whipping their canopy rather than preparing to set up a landing pattern should be grounded. Not only are you endangering yourself but you are also seriously increasing the danger you cause to your fellow jumpers. Result should be grounding until further training with either an instructor or canopy course.

Skydiving is a team/group sport until it comes time to land and then it is every man or woman for themselves. You must rely on your training...get some before something bad happens.

What if someone had been setting up for the landing pattern close to or under you? Would either of you still be here? Probably not.
I don't even want to think about how that would feel.

Now, I will say congrats on having enough intelligence to equip yourself with an RSL if that is what it took to save your hide. Add to your intelligence and become a safe member of our community rather than a statistic. (I hate reading incident reports.)

BTW, I have had a slow speed mal and a high speed mal. You don't have time to think most of the time. Get the training, save your ass and maybe even save someone else from you.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

but I obviously don't want two out, either. My EPs have always been "arch look reach look pull reach pull." I wouldn't have necessarily thought about going directly to my reserve--but it's one more of those canopy issues I need to understand.

At 1000 feet, having 2 out might not be a bad idea at all.
Owned by Remi #?

Hmmmmm....... No! For so, so many reasons.

A deliberate 2-out situation should only be reserved for a final "I'm going to die anyways, so what the hell".

Deploying your reserve at 1000 feet while still attached to your main reminds me of that old Clint Eastwood line "Do you feel lucky today".

Maybe it's time for this thread to get moved to "Safety and Training".........

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

Maybe after all the suggestions for him to get retrained or consider forgoing jumping out of airplanes, maybe he should consider BASE. You don't have to worry about pulling two emergency handles. I would also think that it is tough to toggle whip a BASE canopy. Or maybe I am way off base here. ;)

Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

Maybe after all the suggestions for him to get retrained or consider forgoing jumping out of airplanes, maybe he should consider BASE. You don't have to worry about pulling two emergency handles. I would also think that it is tough to toggle whip a BASE canopy. Or maybe I am way off base here. ;)

Never say never.... A friend of mine has great footage of him locking his Base Canopy into a spin after aggressivley turning away from another Base Canopy on Opening. Went from a bad situation into a worse one as he helplessly spun towards the boat (Gonna Hit..... Gonna Miss ...... Gonna Hit..... Gonna Miss..... GONNA HIT..... whew, missed). He freely admits that was the closest call he ever had.

Neither game is lawnbowling!

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

I can't imagine what a BASE mentor would do if someone did something equal to this in BASE. Although BASE training is more one on one.

Make that difficult phone call and then find a new student?
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

Don't take what is given as gospel (this is an anonymous'ish interweb thingy afterall...) but count on a couple of things while your here... 1) If you fuck up bad enough, folks will post about it here and talk bad about you. 2) If you fuck up a moderate amount, the safety nazi's (folks with the experience and willingness/desire to grow and protect the sport) will correct anything unsafe and/or stupid in the hopes that others will learn and not kill themselves or anyone else. 3) If you fuck up a little ...just a smidgeon, you will owe beer.

Own up to your mistakes. Do a search in Safety and Training for some of my threads.

Eat that humble pie. Learn from what you did.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Hmmmmm....... No! For so, so many reasons.

A deliberate 2-out situation should only be reserved for a final "I'm going to die anyways, so what the hell".

Deploying your reserve at 1000 feet while still attached to your main reminds me of that old Clint Eastwood line "Do you feel lucky today".

Maybe it's time for this thread to get moved to "Safety and Training".........

2 out would be far preferable to no canopy @500 ft :S The "@1000ft just pull your reserve" is there because if you're not very very quick with pulling your reserve after your cutaway you're seriously *%^&* and OP didn't! If not for his RSL this would likely have been reported in a very different forum. So this is why it is taught in a FJC. If you have lots of jumps you can decide to cutaway first, do a canopy transfer, whatever. Just do it quick.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Yeah, push him into BASE, where there's no room fro error; that'll get rid of him...

You see very few SOS systems out there now a days.
If my memory is working today,big if, The SOS systems only have one handle. The left handle cuts away the main and deploys the reserve.

That's correct, but some people also call a dual-cutaway system an SOS system, but it's not technically correct. I've worked at 2 dz's that used these on student gear. The cutaway handle is normal, and hopefully the RSL would activate the reserve. Then the reserve handle also has a second set of cutaway cables going to the risers.

So if they pull their handles out of order, the main will still be cutaway. This does mean that you can't only deploy your reserve. I think it's a good idea and it doesn't bother me because I believe the chance of a student pulling handles out of order is far greater than them actually needing to dump the reserve at 500 feet.