JohnRich

Video: Corliss tries to BASE jump Empire State Building

JT, I don't see the safety fence that's installed below that ledge/patio area? In addition to clearing that ledge, there is also a 12' safety net around the perimeter of the widest portion of the building. Or at least was there 18 months ago when we shot some footage there.
It'll be interesting to see how Jeb's lawsuit pans out, given that while he was trespassing, his life wasn't really in danger until security messed with his life-saving equipment.

JT, I don't see the safety fence that's installed below that ledge/patio area? In addition to clearing that ledge, there is also a 12' safety net around the perimeter of the widest portion of the building. Or at least was there 18 months ago when we shot some footage there.

So how did this guy clear the safety net?

http://gothamist.com/2007/04/14/i_saw_the_leg_h.php
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

It'll be interesting to see how Jeb's lawsuit pans out, given that while he was trespassing, his life wasn't really in danger until security messed with his life-saving equipment.

The pic was taken on 5 Jan 2001.
the safety /perimeter fence was there I just stuck the camera through it to take the picture, hence the shitty framing of the shot.

Are you sayin gthere was a safety net to catch base jumpers? That would be new to me but it would make sense since this incident.
My photos

My Videos

So how did this guy clear the safety net?

http://gothamist.com/2007/04/14/i_saw_the_leg_h.php

Determination?

The Daily News reports the man was Moishe Kanovsky, who did "odds-and-ends work" for one of two law firms that shared a suite. One worker told the News, "He was interviewing a client. He just got up, opened the window and jumped," (a police source says that Kanovsky moved from the room with a client to another one and jumped). According to the Post, an employee at the other law firm said, "Everyone was passing out once they looked at it."
My photos

My Videos

The Daily News reports the man was Moishe Kanovsky, who did "odds-and-ends work" for one of two law firms that shared a suite. One worker told the News, "He was interviewing a client. He just got up, opened the window and jumped," (a police source says that Kanovsky moved from the room with a client to another one and jumped). According to the Post, an employee at the other law firm said, "Everyone was passing out once they looked at it."

That paragraph reminds me of the movie "The Hudsucker Proxy".
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'd assume he jumped from a window below the net. The net is fairly high up on many buildings with public access, to prevent people from tossing things over and hitting pedestrians. The netting we had to mask out for shooting was mesh fence with a thick plastic mesh over top of it, tied down with zip ties every so many inches. You can see it if you look up at the building with binoculars or a good zoom lens, it's not far beneath the observation deck.

Small side note; we were shooting for a documentary and had part of a street closed off, and quickly learned that dropping a penny from the top of a skyscraper will not penetrate much of anything. You'd think we'd have known that, but myths die hard.

I still think Jeb shoulda Tase'd em'.

The charges on him were dropped:

source: http://gothamist.com/2007/01/18/jumping_off_the.php

Remember that zany "daredevil" who tried to jump off the Empire State Building last April, after sneaking in a special outfit with camera under a fatsuit (which was chucked in the men's bathroom at the observation level)? Well, Jeb Corliss got lucky, as a judge dismissed the charges against him, noting that his act was not "depraved" enough!

Justice Michael Ambrect found that since Corliss, who has jumped from Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, the Eiffel Tower, and Golden Gate Bridge, is an experienced, uh, daredevil and had considered things like wind patterns and was going to use a parachute, clearly Corliss didn't want to hurt anyone. Ambrecht wrote, "The circumstances surrounding this admittedly dangerous stunt suggest that rather than indifference to the risk of harm to others, [Corliss] took affirmative steps to ensure the safety of others." Hmm, we guess Ambrecht found Corliss's actions analogous to the judge who tried to commit suicide by gassing himself, even though the gassing caused an explosion in his whole building.

The police are upset, saying that others might try to jump off buildings with parachutes. NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said, "Does the court really want the Empire State and other city landmarks to become magnets for BASE [Bridge, Antenna, Span, Earth] jumpers?" Even legal pundits are shocked. NYU law professor Stephen Gillers told the NY Times, "Well, as a New Yorker, I think I won't walk near the Empire State Building for a while." The Times also has an interesting debate about laws and jumping off buildings - Gillers takes Corliss's lawyer to task for saying that it's "shocking" there's no law to prohibit jumping off buildings.

The district attorney's office is considering an appeal or re-prosecution, saying, "We believe that jumping from the Empire State Building remains a reckless act." No word on whether Corliss will try to get his job hosting Discovery's Stunt Junkies back. And here's one of his jumps on iFilm.

“I’m only doing jumps where I get permits from the city and the building owner,” he told Lauer. “So I‘m never doing this type of jumping again. I’ve grown beyond that."

"Tit for tat" as someone else said. I think his above quote is a good thing.

Story & video here.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Of course, he isnt going to admit that he's going to ignore the law whilst in the midst of suing the ESB.

I wonder how long it will be before he want to goof off somewhere.

OTOH, He is a high profile Jumper so I'd bet it is AGAINST HIS BEST INTEREST to get arrested again.
My photos

My Videos

Of course, he isnt going to admit that he's going to ignore the law

Then he could have said nothing at all.

What he gave instead was a declaration.

I'm happy about said declaration. I don't understand the whole "put on a disguise" thing. I don't care how long he observed street lights. :|

People have to pull permits to build a damn detached garage in their own backyard. They don't put on disguises and pretend they have no idea who built it. :S

Then he could have said nothing at all.

What he gave instead was a declaration.

Possibly but Matt lauer asked him then started to retract his question. saying nothing would have made him look guilty of planning his next stunt. Remember, his audience are whuffos.

People have to pull permits to build a damn detached garage in their own backyard. They don't put on disguises and pretend they have no idea who built it. :S

That's a pretty weak comparison but I understand your point.
the disguise thing? well, you're not going to walk into the ESB with a base rig and cam helmet on and do anything but get arrested. The disguise was a means to get the opp to jump.
My photos

My Videos

you're not going to walk into the ESB with a base rig and cam helmet on and do anything but get arrested.

Then why do it without a permit?

It's conceited for us to expect whuffos to understand that it's not a huge deal and he is (likely) not putting anyone (but possibly himself) in danger.

My comparison might have been "weak" in your opinion, but it seems to me if people pull permits everyday to do WAY more ordinary things, it shouldn't be a big deal to at least attempt to pull one first before jumping off the Empire State Building.

you're not going to walk into the ESB with a base rig and cam helmet on and do anything but get arrested.

Then why do it without a permit?

It's conceited for us to expect whuffos to understand that it's not a huge deal and he is (likely) not putting anyone (but possibly himself) in danger.

My comparison might have been "weak" in your opinion, but it seems to me if people pull permits everyday to do WAY more ordinary things, it shouldn't be a big deal to at least attempt to pull one first before jumping off the Empire State Building.

you are kidding, right ? Go and apply for a permit to jump from Half Dome - there's no traffic below, no pedestrians, no street lights - nobody to endanger under or around. It's in a middle of a park... See if you even get a response...

you are funny...

so are you being serious or not? This sort of vagueness should be reserved for Speaker's Corner.

To request a permit and then to go ahead and plan to avoid security increases the chances of being convicted for conspiracy as you established that you know you're doing something 'wrong.' Nevermind it tips them off to be expecting you.

I'm still impressed at how quickly they responded to stop him. Sure seems like they were prepared for it.

I'm still impressed at how quickly they responded to stop him. Sure seems like they were prepared for it.

If you followed the discussion back at the time this happened, it was stated that someone tipped off their security...So yes they WERE prepared and on the lookout that day.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

"If you don't let me go, I'm going to fall and die"?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

judy

It looked to me like he either wasn't determined to jump or he was just being a complete pussy. Any athletic male could've shaken those lame-ass rent-a-cops and taken the jump. WTF??? It looked to me looks like he wasn't committed to the jump or had another agenda? Hmmmmmm.

"If you don't let me go, I'm going to fall and die"?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

judy

It looked to me like he either wasn't determined to jump or he was just being a complete pussy. Any athletic male could've shaken those lame-ass rent-a-cops and taken the jump. WTF??? It looked to me looks like he wasn't committed to the jump or had another agenda? Hmmmmmm.

Done a lotta ~fixed object~ jumps have ya?! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~