labrys

Corn or Beans. Which Suck more?

Focus thought from a couple of other threads. Forget landing in parking lots, vinyards, back yards, alligator farms, or live fire ranges. If you've landed in both corn and soy beans (fully grown) which is worse in your opinion? I'd take corn any day over beans. My reasons from another thread:

Beans are tougher than they look, harder to gage the height, and really, really "sticky" (they grab you, your lines, your canopy and hold on for dear life).

Everything that touches them gets sucked in.

The plants are bushy and planted close together. When they're mature its almost impossible to land between rows. The tops of all the plants are tangled together.

Landing in mature beans almost always guarantees a face plant when they grab your feet. If you're able to flare a little high and time it right, you can sink into them. At that point in the season they're usually about waist high. I'd never attempt sinking in without planning a plf because you have no idea what's under the canopy, and plfing in beans means you're about to spend a lot of time getting the fuckers out of your gear and lines.

Corn hurts a little, but its much easier to time the flare and it doesnt grab your shit anything as badly as beans do.

Owned by Remi #?

The first time I landed in corn it was full growth and like 8 feet tall. I couldnt see the ground and broke my ankle on one of those tall planting rows when I touched down.
That wasnt the bad part......now my canopy is up on top of the corn....the lines are all spread out between dozens of plants wrapped and knotted. Try getting that all picked up and walk out with a broken ankle. The best part , after I had walked/limped for a half mile I climbed thru a barbed wire fence and the cows started chasing me.....thinking I was gonna feed them I guess.

Thats my horror story......Ive seen much worse in the grapevines up at Lodi.....6' stakes every 8 feet with wire from top to top for miles. Its ugly.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Tough call... I've landed in 10-foot corn and it wasn't that bad, but then I was under PD 9-cell at a 0.8:1 loading. I've landed in beans at every height from ankle to waist height and never had problems, but I've always had enough wind to shut the canopy down 100%.

I think I'd take beans... if you flare at their level you can take the PLF and it probably won't hurt. If I jumped a widowmaker 37, it might be a different story. Also, landing in dead corn SUCKS! It'll impale you if you trip!
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

You KNOW how I feel about this.. I will land in the nice soft beans ANY day over the EVIL shit that is 12' high and has two or three baseball bats that are 18" long on E VERY stalk...

This is why I avoid its natural habitat from July to September.

you forgot sunflowers - my guess these are even worse than corn. ripe sunflowers (the head) before harvest weigh something like 3-4 pounds and the plant is full of hook-like stuff trapping lines. i'd say this beats corn any time
btw: up to now i've avoided landingin any of the mentioned plants
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Growing up, living in and jumping in and through these two crops in Illinois.... I will land in CORN again before I landed out in the bean patch!...

I can judge all the different growth (height) stages, thats not the problem, I am taller than the beans, that again is not the problem, the lines over head in corn...THAT SUCKS YES!, but.... the beans like the second poster said, "just sucks EVERYTHING in..."

PROS and CONS to both!

I've been reading this thread being glad I don't live in the mid-west, then it dawned on me they grow corn all over this part of Idaho.[:/] I've already landed in a field full of sage brush that wasn't much fun. I sure don't want to try out a corn field. Any body know how potatoes, wheat or sugar beets would be?

"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Any body know how potatoes, wheat or sugar beets would be?

It all depends on your speed.... I landed in wheat next to our DZ.. in the wettest part of the field and it was waist high... Grabbed my feet during my swoop.. I did a facial plant.... I thought it was only maybe knee high.. but NOOOOOOO.... so during my landing it grabbed my feet... Great video by the way.. and broke off my ring site. other times I have landed in wheat and there was no issue.. but any tall grass can catch your feet and prevent running it out

Potatos... BAD juju.. they are ALWAys planted in linear hills about a foot high around here... Best to land down the rows... and kill off as much speed and totally finish your flair so you can just step down tippy toe;)

Worked like a charm..

Sugar beets.. no idea but I am pretty sure they have a piled dirt in hills as well.. same landing for potatos... Main thing is NOT to try a buttslide against the rows.... I see a broken ankle or leg would be WAY to easy when you have rows of dirt piled up a foot high.

My experience is that landing on snow reallly takes some getting used to. You just dont have the depth perrception over it as you do dirt or grass.

If you can ... make it dirty with dusty kind of dirt.. not as pretty but it will help the landings.

So far, my landings need all the help they can get.:$ They are still tellling me when to flare by radio, at least when they can see me. There was that time I ended up across a street and tangled with a bunch of really sturdy sage brush. None of that light stuff that blows across the roads. I know the radio help will be coming to an end, so even though I'm getting better,...........

"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

I gotta great Corn story...:)

After hours one hot summer night back in Illinois, where the corn grows fast as weeds and tall as redwoods...

I was driving another jumper back into town to pick up some more beer, for some unknown reason, (mental breakdown) the guy steps out of my car at about 50 MPH, after sliding along for a while, he jumps to his feet and runs into a corn field. :o

I looked for him for a few minutes without result, I could hear him running deep into the corn but he wouldn't respond...I had to get the beer so of course I left him.

The next morning he's standing at the front door of the clubhouse....totally nekid and cut to ribbons from 6-7 hours of dashing through the crops.

First we took him to the hospital with the green scrubs to bandage up the hundreds of cuts, then to the hospital with the WHITE scrubs! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~