Joea

Staying Stable during free fall... is it that difficult?

I have yet to do my first free fall. I have two more TRCP jumps to complete (successfully) and then I'll do my first 5 second free fall and pull. My DZ is closed until early spring so I can't ask these questions there just yet...

After watching some video of students free falling for the first time, they seem right on the edge of going completely out of control. I would have thought there was a natural feel for this once you're arching. Is it really that difficult to maintain that belly down position the first time? What can I expect in a five second free fall and if I do tumble, is it safe to pull in any position, or do I have to right myself?
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. - Clarence Worley from "True Romance"

I would think that if you got the stable exit down, stable FF should be easy, but I was one of the AFF guys doing a half loop on every exit for a while.

Your instructor answers the question of what to do if the 5s delay goes bad. We're all supposed to tell you to visualize success.

I would have thought there was a natural feel for this once you're arching.

There is. You will eventually get use to the "natural" feel

Is it really that difficult to maintain that belly down position the first time?

No. Arch like there is no tomorrow and you will be fine. Watch your legs, be careful there.

What can I expect in a five second free fall

In a 5 second freefall you can expect a lot of instability. Why do you ask about a 5 second freefall at your jump level?

and if I do tumble, is it safe to pull in any position, or do I have to right myself?

If the situation calls for it YOU PULL NO MATTER WHAT POSITION YOU ARE IN!!!!

and if I do tumble, is it safe to pull in any position, or do I have to right myself?

At this point, it's very important that you direct these types of questions to your Instructors at your DZ.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I will definitely ask my instructor all these questions, but it won't be for another few weeks. I'm only asking because I just watched some AFF videos and was amazed at how the student seemed to really be struggling to maintain the belly down on the first jump, when it looks so easy to the veterans.

Why do you ask about a 5 second freefall at your jump level?

Because my next level is a five second free fall. I'll complete the two TRCP jumps (static line) and then do the five second FF and pull. The second TRCP and first free fall have to be done the same day, so I essentially would complete this the first weekend I go.
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. - Clarence Worley from "True Romance"

Howdy, I just completed my AFF a month or so back and I am doing solos. Heres my uncoordinated student opinion, as others say of course your instructor knows best;
First few jumps I felt fine when flat, first 1-2 seconds always didnt feel right. Tunnel training really made me feel comfortable in Free Fall. Somewhere about AFF 5-6 I did 20 minutes in tunnel w/ AFF instructor and it made huge difference, in 20 minutes in wind tunnel you can learn basically all techniques needed for AFF w/ exception of flips/rolls etc. (big confidence boost) However as others have said w/ repeated jumps it becomes second nature, you know how to fly your body after a while. The basics of a good arch really work and during the AFF series I would really concentrate on that. You really cant go wrong w/ good instructors, by the time you do unstable exit (another confidence boost) you are basically capable of becoming stable w/ worst exit. The biggest lesson I have learned is dont pysch yourself out. I was real concerned going into doing the barrell roll manuver and then when I did it ; it was extremely easy.

Talk to your instructors ;)

I for one didn't go unstable until I had to do the unstable-exit-on-purpose. Just do what your instructor tells you, pratice that on the ground a lot, relax, watch the plane, arch, smile ;)

It sure felt great, pulling on my own for the first time :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

1. Speaking to your instructor about this is a MUST.

And what helped me:
2. As mentioned above, keep your eyes on the plane (as it goes away). Don`t look down. I videoed a lot of student exits, and I noticed that they look down as soon as they exit, thus dearching, thus going unstable.
3. Relax. I know it is difficult at this point, but you can try to relax your hands (and legs) when you arch your body. Then the stream will do the rest.
Points 2 and 3 was my way of coping with first stable exits. As I was looking at the plane going away, my body arched by itself, and to me the second great thing was that when I saw my instructor smiling and showing me "thumbs up", the relax part kicked in. And then I pulled my ripcord like I`ve done this hundred of times before. :)

dudeist skydiver #42

2. As mentioned above, keep your eyes on the plane (as it goes away). Don`t look down. I videoed a lot of student exits, and I noticed that they look down as soon as they exit, thus dearching, thus going unstable.

He's right. Don't look down. Concentrate on looking at the plane,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What can I expect in a five second free fall

In a 5 second freefall you can expect a lot of instability. Why do you ask about a 5 second freefall at your jump level?

Don't give advice if you can't even tell this guy's clearly not doing an AFF-style progression.

It helps if there is any sticker or something near the door/on wing, just look at it. Look at it when you are at the door, lock your eyes on it when exiting, keep your eyes on it for the first couple of seconds. DON`t look for too long and loose altitude awareness. The best thing is that when you do this for the first time, after that you are going to look at the plane every time (at least I did).
Even better is to look at your instructor/jumpmaster. My instructor requested from me when I land to know the number of fingers that he showed me on exit (one - he gave me thumb up . ;) )

dudeist skydiver #42

lol, when I did my first 5 sec delay there was a hot blonde chick sat behind the pilot with startling blue eyes... I can still remember them disappearing away from me as I counted down my freefall time.

When I teach student's now I tell them early on in the stability class that I'll give them a whole £1 if they can tell me after the jump what number is written on the bottom of the plane. It introduces a moment of levity and stresses the good exit position for a first static line jump. During de-brief it's usually another moment of levity when I remind them of my challenge and ask if anyone got the number... especially as there is of course no number written there.

It can be a bit difficult to get stable initially because:

1) you are not "belly to earth" yet and it feels wrong
2) you aren't at terminal, and so the wind isn't helping you very much

Which means you have to work at it when you first exit. Once you get to terminal, it's fairly easy to remain stable since the wind helps you arch. You can't relax your legs (they always need some positive pressure) but the rest is a pretty relaxed position. Your instructors will go over how to achieve and maintain this position.

>if I do tumble, is it safe to pull in any position, or do I have to right myself?

Again, your instructors will cover this. Generally you never go below your deployment altitude to get stable, but each school covers that slightly differently.

Staying Stable during free fall... is it that difficult?

You would think so if you watch some of the AFF evaluators that have been working with some of us on the DZ...

You tap the altimeter too hard - they tumble. You give the wrong signal, they tumble. You shake too hard after exit - they tumble. You redock to hard - they tumble. I swear - they need to learn to skydive...:S

:D:D:D:D:D
Scars remind us that the past is real

Thanks for all the great tips. I feel pretty confident (not cocky). I finally was able to watch the plane fly away from me on my last (static line) jump and I have two more before the free fall so I can be sure I'm doing that ok.

I'll definitely talk to and get all the help needed from my instructor. I'm sure I'll feel even more at ease after that. These guys are real pros, they wouldn't pass me on my first TRCP because I kept my left hand straight up when I pulled... "WRONG.. do it again!".

I'll report back when I succeed the jump. I'm sure this opens a whole new world! I can't wait to play in the clouds with some of you!! Especially that hot blonde...;)

I'll have the temerity to add just one little comment ;)

A very small detail my instructors didn't mention, though what would have helped me tremendously to know, is that in a kick-ass delta you can expect that your body tilts ever so slightly "head down". Only a few degrees, mind, but there I was, thinking I was going unstable and started flailing.. Not good.

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom