Carver

Body Board Flying

I want to give it a try.

Has anyone ever tried it? Not sure how deployment would work without losing the board unless you custom make a handle on it. Obviously using a leash would be out of the question.

Then flippers would come off for landing?

Any thoughts?

Never try to skip a stage of natural progression...

I know of a jump that was made just like that for some tv thingy (I fella in question was wearing a yellow dress as well).

Anyhow I believe a tandem harness was used underneath the normal rig and attachent points were added to the board.

Usual checks to see if handles etc were easily accesible and away they went. Worked rather well I believe
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

I'll wait for you to do the ground and aerial work and then make snide comments about the video.:)
Your sigline does answer your own question.B|

“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

A couple years back around Zmasboogie there was a guy in Zhills flying his bodyboard pretty frequently.

I had the impression the bord flew really well and wasnt that difficult to control.

Im not sure about the details how he was attached to the board.

I suggest you talk to someone whos done it before, before you go and try it..

I've done the body board in the sky before. It's actually really easy to hold on to as long as you exit in the direction of flight (into the wind) and ride the hill that way. Then small input on the board will fly it around. At opening i just wrapped my left arm around the board and pulled. Once i was under canopy i stuck it between my legs. I would suggest a full face helmet for sure and i wouldn't suggest rigging up any kind of attachments to your body with it since it could SERIOUSLY hinder emergency procedures. Also, Don't be afraid to let go of it if you get in a spin or any other kind of serious problem. Better off dropping a foam board that weighs practically nothing than going in trying to keep it. Attached is a pic of me exiting out of a caravan with it
-Chris Martin

Well i figured that exiting towards the line of flight with the wind in my chest was easiest since trying to dive out of the plane would be hard to do since you need to keep from getting wind in between your body and the board which will tear it right out of your fingers. As you can see in the next picture of that sequence we are turning down the hill to fly perpendicular to the line of flight to keep from flying other the other groups (Very Important!) Do not fly up jump run with these boards as they do have a fairly fast forward speed.
-Chris Martin