jtval

What would make you read the parachutist again?

I've been really impressed with the "Getting Up there" articles on various Skydiving Aircraft, and their Pros and Cons as jump aircraft.

That is one thing that's helped me get back in the Parachutist, but for the most Part I tent to agree with a lot of the other comments in this thread.
=========Shaun ==========

Maybe a featured dropzone every month.

This is already there.

I'd like to see more in depth gear reviews by someone outside a sponsored role. They did a few a while ago (Cobalt, etc) but then it stopped. Part of the issue with this is to get the vendors to buy in when a negative review could result in them pulling out of purchasing any more ads in the future.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Hi Phree,

I'd like to see more in depth gear reviews by someone outside a sponsored role.

I've been thinking about this ( danger - danger B| ). I would suggest that they get 3 or 4 disinterested, experienced jumpers, have a number of pre-determined valuation categories and have each jumper rate the product in each category. This way it is not a 'I win, you lose' type of thing.

Road & Track does this with their car comparison articles.

JerryBaumchen

I've been really impressed with the "Getting Up there" articles on various Skydiving Aircraft, and their Pros and Cons as jump aircraft.

I also like these articles. Aircraft are an aspect of our sport that many people could learn more about. Particularly about techniques / things to pay attention to when jumping different airplanes. I LOVED seeing an article devoted to Beech 18's. The historical aspect of the sport and the aircraft is attractive to me.

More education, less boogie coverage, photos are cool.

More members submitting material will help to diversify the mag. Skydiving is a relatively small sport. If you write something intelligent, or have a cool photo, you have a reasonable chance of getting in the mag.

More education, less boogie coverage, photos are cool.

I agree 100%!!! Well Said, well said.

I doubt the DZO's of a few dropzones would like this idea, but I think it would help. Each month, they have a featured DZ near the middle/end of the magazine, where the DZO gets to write up a little somethingsomething about the operation they run. You know, aircraft, packing areas, the vibe they think they have. They should also include experienced jumper ticket price. A Few DZ's, especially ones that spike upjumper prices to discourage their business, really have no business witting those kinds of articles...But that's a different story...
=========Shaun ==========

So, do you appreciate the efforts a few of us are undertaking to see a camera section in there each month? are they too technical? Not technical enough? And maybe some gear introductions? more articles on "If you're in this situation, do THAT?" kind of thing?

I love the new photo articles, they should really help improve the photo quality of the submissions in the future.

Jerry, I like your idea for a panel format, the issue with that is you need to get 3 or 5 or a group of people that are experienced enough to jump what ever is sent their way (means everything from X braced to student gear) and still are not sponsored so they can remain objective. Second thing is that you'll have to find a group willing to pay to test out of their own pocket since Parachutist sure isn't going to pay for the 10-15 jump tickets its going to take to just start to get the feel of a canopy.The reviews would be pretty basic since it might take 200-300 jumps to really learn the details of how canopy Z flys and at 15 jumps (or 2-3 weekends) on it you have only really got it to land with out crashing in. Its something thats great as a thought but to put it in practice is a lot harder.

That said I'd love to be a tester for that stuff but too bad I won't jump sub 120 any more.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

You know, aircraft, packing areas, the vibe they think they have.

without any doubt it will be the same old "we have the best plane, the coolest jumpers, the nicest bbq's, best packers yaddayaddayounameitwhehaveit and if you don't name it and we don't have you wouldn't want it anyway" kind of advertorial sentences we are all to tired off. I'll take bets on this one any time :o
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

I like the "Phantom Shopper" idea. Undercover ops to review a DZ. Of course, if it turned out to be a negative review, the writer would have to remain anonymous or change his/her name.
:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

If Parachutist printed a bad review of a GM dropzone, would they not be opening themselves up to the same kind of lawsuit that they just settled with Skyride?

They simply cannot and should not be able to meddle in the commerce of DZ operations who are GM's.

If there were no group membership program however, we could expect and demand a reasonable evaluation of DZ's.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Here's a couple of ideas. I wonder if the Editor would consider putting (most) rejected articles on the web?

That's a good idea.

I'd like it on the web completely and not get it at home at all. I think we could reduce dues a bit that way. It's silly for us to get 2 copies and can't opt out of at least one of them. Or, even have Parachutist set up of a program to give the 'extras' (like mine) away to libraries.

That said, I don't read it because it's the same stuff month after month - but that's what skydiving is.

I like the "how to fly" articles on freeflying (I really liked the 4-way techniques column that Skydiving used to have). I have friend that's officially a staff writer now and I look for her stuff too because the topics are closer to home sometimes.

I'd like to see new gear/new technology assessments, and that kind of thing - but in this sport, I rarely see objective discussions on that kind of thing - just "MY CHOICE is the best" and not-too-subtle advertising of one's own stuff.

I normally just don't read it. I think it's GREAT for newbies. I remember reading each issue front to cover for my first few years in the sport. So it's doing it's job IMO.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I read it all the time anyway. My guess is most of the people who whine about it would have trouble answering your question. Many would say "more boobies."

Some of us just write "Please DO NOT SEND magazine" on the renewal notice. I find it hard to justify killing trees to look at something that is 65% the exact same every month.

I haven't missed it yet :)
Scars remind us that the past is real

:| Ya' know....I've been told my logbook's a bit different than most but really, I'm not seein' it. Here's an excerpt......

She was no spring chicken but looked damned good, for her age. She was in fine form, her silhouette was shapely and her skin, smooth and taut. Every time I saw her, I just wanted to "jump" her! She looked so hot, in her seemingly painted-on outfit.

She was well built...with her large, voluptuous engine nacelles and strong, shapely landing gear. She had the tightest little tail and her rudder wiggled enticingly, whenever she moved. My eyes were immediately and uncontrollably drawn, to the ever-so-slightly revealing cleavage of her wing-roots......

"T'was ever thus."

I would like to see better communication from our BOD. The Magizine would be a great way for this happen. We have the capitol Commentary to get insight from the executive level but I would like to see maybe 2 pages set aside every month for regional and National directors to talk about Issues, projects, things their committees are working on and such.

I would not suggest that every member of the BOD submit something each month but maybe that each member of the board submit an update a couple times a years to let the general membership know what they are working on and/or what concerns them in the sport. Each month Parachutist would publish a couple of these articles.

PABLEMCHUTIST . . .

The magazine is what it is, simply a house-organ and ad-well. It could be so much more.

Everything you said is exactly the way I see it (and probably a lot of other people). They should publish what you just wrote in the mag. Couldn't have said it better if I tried.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD