AlexEvanczuk

Mom won't let me go, how can I convince her?

I think you are missing something very important here - the number of participants in each activity.

No astronauts died in space last year. I suppose that makes space flight the safest activity of all.

Well the faa seem to think that going to space is safe enough... virgin galactic are letting 16 people go up on a tourist visit!!!!!! ;);)

The sports as safe as the person or persons you go up with, if you pack your rig badley you'll increase your chance of dying, if you hook it in from 20 ft you could die, if you don't have a cypress and lose alti awerness you could die.... blah blah blah etc etc etc

The kid wants to jump, if he's carful and well trained he will be fine, it's up to his instuctors to decide whether he is capable, or mentaly ready to jump. if he's not then they should bin him.
Mums are important as well, but should not rule your life, (unless your under there roof, then its tough luck/love)

But i say go and have fun, thats what its about...

good luck rocket boy... oh to be young again :ph34r:

Those missing number of participants shows just how safe the sports are... you can take statistics and twist them any way you want and show that playing russain roulette is safe..
Keep in mind, ours is a sport where you can do everything right and still wind up dead. Being careful reduces the risk, but doesn't eliminate it... ever.
He lives in her house, he lives by her rules it's that plain and simple. He could file for emancipation but that doesn't mean that a dz will let him jump there.

To the OP, get a job and save your money.. if you can get to a dz and work as a packer while you're waiting to turn 18 that's even better... wait until you turn 18, the sky will still be there and you'll be in a better position to join it....
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

During the 70s, they gave 18 year olds under the premise that they were dying in a war, so they should be able to vote against it.

So, in Florida, the theory was that they were mature enough and had enough information to make other rational decision. So, they lowered the drinking age to 18 also... for a while, then it was back up to 21.

Anyway, part of making decisions is that you have enough experience on the topic to make a valid judgment.

If you've never done a skydive, how can non-jumpers sign a waiver that is valid.
"I've never done this, but I know enough to sign this."

Most parents shouldn't sign a waiver for themselves, but, they get to vote and drive, so this is just another adult decision. You have to draw a line somewhere.

your parents are not gonna be cool with it period, its not about the numbers, its about the thought of having your child being put in harms way. Wait until your 18 then just go do it without telling them. I waited until I was 20, wanted to go when I was 18 but never got around to it and someone gave me some bad information about it and scared me. I did my first jump last June, several thousand dollars and 7 months later I have no regrets about any of it. You will meet some really cool people (and some pretty sketchy ones) and have the time of your life.
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way."
- Homer Simpson

Ok, i just had a thought, (scary in itself)

Tell your mum you are going to join the army
1.Come to england
2.Join the Parachute regiment (you only have to be 16)
3. Let them pay for you to jump..
4. you'll be a skygod in no time
http://www.army.mod.uk/para/insight.htm

Your mum will be so freaked out about you joining the army, she'll sign the waiver and possibly pay for your aff course.

That is such a good idea on so many levels. :P

Ok, i just had a thought, (scary in itself)

Tell your mum you are going to join the army
1.Come to england
2.Join the Parachute regiment (you only have to be 16)
3. Let them pay for you to jump..
4. you'll be a skygod in no time
http://www.army.mod.uk/para/insight.htm

Your mum will be so freaked out about you joining the army, she'll sign the waiver and possibly pay for your aff course.

That is such a good idea on so many levels. :P

Except the military doesn't exactly make parachuting a "fun" activity. I don't know about other countries, but as far as I know here in the USA, you're pretty much limited to static line jumps with a jump master yelling "Get the hell out!!!!" at low altitudes and stressful training outside of the few jumps you do get to make. (Having participated in Marine Corp basic training I know how these guys can ruin any fun you might get out of an activity).

I don't know. All I'm saying is military parachuting... hmm... doesn't sound all that exciting.

:P
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I don't know. All I'm saying is military parachuting... hmm... doesn't sound all that exciting. :P

It is when they start shooting at you ... :P:P:P

Well, if that floats your boat. :D

Then again, you could just call a few of your buddies to park near the road, tell them the color of your parachute....errr...

On second thought, don't do that.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I don't know. All I'm saying is military parachuting... hmm... doesn't sound all that exciting. :P

It is when they start shooting at you ... :P:P:P

Well, if that floats your boat. :D

Then again, you could just call a few of your buddies to park near the road, tell them the color of your parachute....errr...

On second thought, don't do that.

No carry on.... it seems we have finaly made this sport my dangerous than base.

And in the army they'll also teach you haow to shoot back.... everyones a winner:ph34r:

You can't convince her it's safe, because it isn't.

And if you were over 18 and lived by yourself, you could tell her that even though you're her son, and appreciate that she cares about you, you are now of age and can do whatever you want as long as it's legal. And skydiving is legal.

But tunnel and packing is a great idea. You'll learn things that are very valuable if you decide to skydive later.

:)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?